Bush sees 3-way fight against PKK

Bolt_Gundam510

Bolt_Gundam510

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S., Turkish and Iraqi leaders all held talks Monday about Kurdish rebels using northern Iraq as a launchpad for cross-border attacks into Turkey.

President Bush chatted by phone with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, while separately two senior Iraq national government figures met with the head of the country's Kurdish region.

The diplomatic moves came after Turkish warplanes pounded Kurdish separatist targets in northern Iraq on Saturday and Sunday as well as last week.

Bush and Erdogan talked about the dangers of the Kurdish separatist rebels along the Turkish-Iraqi border, the White House confirmed.

National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said they discussed their common efforts to fight terrorism, and the importance of the United States, Turkey and Iraq working together to confront the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK.

Bush has vowed to help Turkey fight PKK rebels.

The PKK has spent two decades fighting for autonomy for Kurds in southeastern Turkey, with some of its attacks launched from inside northern Iraq. The United States and European Union consider the group a terrorist organization.

Last week, Turkey's ambassador to the United States, Nabi Sensoy, said his country's maneuvers against Kurdish militant targets in northern Iraq were based on intelligence provided by the United States.

In the Kurdish Iraq city of Sulaimaniya, Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, who is Kurdish, and Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi, who is Sunni Arab, met with Kurdish Regional Government President Massoud Barzani.

Iraqi Kurdish officials, while critical of the PKK, have denounced the Turkish bombing campaign. Last week, Barzani snubbed visiting U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in protest of the attacks.

"We have vehemently condemned the bombardment. The bombing targeted safe and secure areas and innocent people. Several people were either killed or wounded," Barzani said on Monday at a press conference with the others.

"We held consultations with President Jalal Talabani and we will continue our consultations with other concerned parties to put an end to these aggressions and put to an end the shelling of villages."

The three Iraqi officials also dealt with national unity. They signed a "memorandum of understanding" to deepen relations further with their three parties: Talabani's Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, Barzani's Kurdistan Democratic Party and al-Hashimi's Iraqi Islamic Party, a Sunni Arab entity.

Source: CNN WORLD

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off all; they are not "kurdish rebels", they are fcuking terrorists !!! All they do is; killing harmless people, which babies are included ( can you believe tihs !?!? ), and try to make trouble. They say that they want free kurdish nation, but let me ask you something: do they wanted it form the babies ?

Freedom fighters for some, rebels for others, terrorist for others :P With all respect due to your turk nationality :blink:

If they are freedom fighters, so Al-Khaide is too. There is no diffrence between them.

You are exactly right&correct :pope: (at the same time)

nice to hear that coming from someone in that region, exactly what i've been saying forever now :yes:

they just want to kill people who don't agree with their beliefs, pure and simple :rockon:

If they are freedom fighters, so Al-Khaide is too. There is no diffrence between them.

There is a difference:

One a total Islam lunatics, whilst others are more shanty town/ tribe wariours with islamistic portion...

Indiscriminance in such cases is an easy option, unfortunately such might bring resemblence to Palestine/Israel never ending conflict.

I do not disagree that PPK should be stopped, but it is all together funny in the way, that they are able to operate from another country (Iraq), like there is no border?

You think you know a lot about PKK, don't you Athasas ? What if a terrorist group, or i should say "shanty town/ tribe wariours" like you said, stick in to your far far away country and wants half of your country, if you don't give them what they want they wil kill your citizens without any distinction, baby to grandfathers, would you let them get what they want ? Or kill them for your peoples sake ? They are not Kurdish freedom fighters, because in that group they have Germans, Italians, Israeli people. They are fighting for money, like legionaries. Isn't that an opposite idea to have diffrent kind of people to have in a "freedom group" ? I have a lot of Kurdish friends that will help me in my worst time. I know who are Kurds and who don't. If they don't want to live in our homeland, they can go to Iraq. We are not holding them. We are giving them their freedom. They can talk Kurdish and live their culture. What do they want more ? Do they want to kill babies ? When it comes to that, we have the rights to spill their bloods till it rains down from the sky. No one else have rights to interfere our behaves. We are fighting against them for 20 years. They killed 35.000 citizen of Türkiye. Can you still call them freedom fighters ?

And something about funny thing you said: We can attack our transfrontier if we are having trobule with our homeland security as long as we are a member of NATO. Which, we are doing it with collaboration of Iraq government and America.

Do you still you think you know something Atasas ?

I bet you will wake up before some terrorist comes and kills one of your family member... Maybe you...

Archived