Apple shuts down rumours website

gagquin

Apple shuts down rumours website

Think Secret broke the

news about the Mac Mini Apple has settled a legal row with tip site Think Secret that will see the website shut down.

_44315245_secret-apple203.jpg

The legal battle between Apple and the site blew up in January 2005 when Think Secret revealed details of the Mac Mini before its official unveiling.

Apple brought the lawsuit to make the fan site reveal who had leaked details about the cut-down computer.

By agreeing to shut down, the Think Secret site gets to preserve the anonymity of its sources.

Source code

In a statement about the deal Nick Ciarelli, Think Secret publisher, said: "I'm pleased to have reached this amicable settlement, and will now be able to move forward with my college studies and broader journalistic pursuits."

Apple declined to provide details of the settlement but a spokesman said it was "happy to have this behind us."

Apple is notoriously secretive about forthcoming products and it sued Think Secret claiming that bloggers should not enjoy the same rights to protect sources granted to mainstream journalists.

A California court initially sided with Apple but the hi-tech firm lost the case on appeal. The outcome of that said bloggers should be considered as journalists and subject to the same protections.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) aided Think Secret in its legal fight to stop Apple forcing it to reveal its sources.

"I hope that Apple takes from this that it is neither useful nor wise to sue its fans," said Kurt Opsahl, an attorney for the EFF.

Mr Ciarelli started Think Secret when he was 13 years old and is now a student at Harvard University. The name of the website is a play on the "Think Different" slogan Apple once used in its advertising.

iNfo@

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JunkInternetMail

I'll bet that dude either worked a deal for a job or lots of free product...

Apple's real problem is their internal leaks...

Their secrecy is really a good business move for Apple but poor for their shareholders and customers...

You buy a new MacBook Pro only 3 days before they release the latest versions which are like 2x more powerful and you get fucked!

Why?

Because they wouldn't talk about a KNOWN release date for anything. From a consumer standpoint, Apple should go get fucked!

Bolt_Gundam510

lets see this is screwed up, if i was apple i wouldn't even even think of a law suit in the first place it's good info on the company to get the word out about there new product. who cares who leaked it as long as it gets out there and to the main public who auctly buy apples stuff in the first place.

Archived