Windows XP Service Pack 3 RC 1

Zeus_Hunt

They have just posted a refresh of Windows XP Service Pack 3. So if you are still stuck on XP, by choice or not and you're a tester.. then it's available for download now! This build will be made publicly available soon, but there are 2 points to be aware of troopers!

Download Page

• Replies 35
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have just posted a refresh of Windows XP Service Pack 3. So if you are still stuck on XP, by choice or not and you're a tester.. then it's available for download now! This build will be made publicly available soon, but there are 2 points to be aware of troopers!

Download Page

which are?,will this work on amd64?

Download Page

This pre-release software is provided for testing purposes only. Microsoft does not recommend installing this software on primary or mission critical systems. Microsoft recommends that you have a backup of your data prior to installing any pre-release software.

source ...Microsoft..

Download Page

Its windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe for 32 bit OS version.

If u have 32 bit OS installed it will work.. but if it is 64 bit.. nope it will not

AMD64 supports both 32 and 64 bit... Its the OS that u will have to check

Just in case that you were holding your breath while waiting for Service Pack 3 for Windows XP on 64-bit architectures, you can now exhale. No, the service pack is not here. And the fact of the matter is that it's going to be quite a wait until Microsoft will deliver an equivalent to SP3 for x64 XP. The Redmond company is currently cooking the third and final service pack for Windows XP, but just the 32-bit version of the operating system, the one made available all the way back in 2001. Users should not expect the Redmond company to release SP3 for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition by mid 2008, because that will definitely not be the case.

Microsoft gave official confirmation of this in the Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3 whitepaper: "Windows XP SP3 is for x86 editions of Windows XP only." Now, the truth is that 32-bit XP and 64-bit XP are separate products made available four years apart, as Microsoft released Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition in April 2005, after Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (March 2005) and Windows XP Service Pack 2 (August 2004).

And on top of this, the company has just introduced the second service pack for Windows Server 2003, also updating x64 XP. "The x64 editions of Windows XP were serviced by Windows Server 2003 SP2", Microsoft added in the Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3. In March 2007, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 was released for download, addressing the following operating systems: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 SP1, Windows Storage Server R2, Windows Unified Data Storage Server, Windows Compute Cluster Server, Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2, and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

In June 2007, Microsoft dropped Windows Server 2003 SP2 via Automatic Updates. But this does not mean that Microsoft will not end up delivering another service pack for x64 XP, although all the company has to say on a potential deadline is that it is still to be determined, according to an excerpt from the Windows Service Pack Road Map web page.

I would like to integrate this new service pack with nlite and burn it on a cd; however I have two questions:

1. does the service pack offered by M$ expire eventually (meaning that I would have to reinstall windows)?

2. does the new service pack require new installation serials or may I use my own (corporate licences) just l used till now?

I would like to integrate this new service pack with nlite and burn it on a cd; however I have two questions:

1. does the service pack offered by M$ expire eventually (meaning that I would have to reinstall windows)?

2. does the new service pack require new installation serials or may I use my own (corporate licences) just l used till now

1- no

2- no

Guess that second no isn't very clear...

JunkInternetMail

It's very clear...

the real question was: does the new service pack require new installation serials?

answer: no

Just download and install it. Do you really think MS would label it RC1 if it fails or was dangerous?

If you want to test betas and RCs, you gotta grow some balls! :(

Yeh, right then? the outcome on my other PC :

Fixes for 50% of apps are gone (Some imposible to reapply) and it does not revert back changes! (despite promises of such) as per uninstall...

My verdict: not worth it...

just as the last two posters have said...beta and rc releases...there WILL be bugs and problems that is why they are not FINAL releases... Most troubles caused will be minor if any at all BUT at times there will a huge major bug that could occur on your system and not on too many other peoples systems.... So if you wish to "test" them you should have a good back up imaging software...either acronis or true image pro then any thing that screws up royally can be easily returned back to your pre installed state.

SacredCultivator

Hmm just curious, as I prefer to get a few opinions before trying. As I don't want to format my system to test our SP3 (RC1). I have already tried to install it but during installation it errors on me. And I read around and it seems for the RC1.exe to install you can't 'alter' your XP Setup... Which I did, not with nLite but with XPLite Professional. So that is most likely my problem as to why I can't install it.. So I was wondering if this alternative method might work without having to format my system.

Might it be possible for me to just use my Win XP SP2 CD to 'UPGRADE' and have it semi reinstall itself on my system. I don't lose any of my data correct? And in doing so, it installs the things that I left out correct? {New to nLite so I didn't create a custom Boot CD, which is why I use XPLite PRo} Would that work?

As I really don't want to go through the trouble of having to format my system.

Thanks.

---

EDIT:

More or less when it becomes OFFICIAL, would I be able to just install that without worries or would I run into the same problem...

Archived