Windows XP Service Pack 3 RC 1

Zeus_Hunt

Found installation copy of windows xp sp3 in p2p sites and torrend sites. Also some downloading sites

The size of the pack is 332 MB. There is around 2848 files are renewed in windows xp sp3. including resolves for in excess of 900 problems already addressed through a variety of standalone hotfixes released after SP2.

Following components are added to windows XP sp3

1. Remote Desktop Client was updated to 6.1

2. IE6 will updates to SP3

3. WPA2 support is included

4. High Def Audio devices are detected without a hotfix.

Just take a look at the official release notes for XP SP3

Just google windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe or just kb936929 to get lots of torrent links.

RC1 officially Released - Download from M$ Website ~336Mb

• Replies 35
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SacredCultivator

This is pretty much official and can be installed without worries?

SacredCultivator

More or less lol was surfing microsoft's site and didn't see it.

More or less lol was surfing microsoft's site and didn't see it.

....well, We have to wait for until someone realy tests it... (Myself paying fortune for data transfer)- I shall see weather it is of anything to do with DX...

You can download and install SP3 Release Candidate from Windows Update, so you know your getting a legit release. To do this, open notepad, and copy and paste this code into it.

@echo off
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\XPSP3 /f 2> NUL
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\XPSP3 /v RCPreview /t REG_SZ /d 1c667073-b87f-4f52-a479-98c85711d869 /f
echo XPSP3 registry key has been set. Please check for updates in Windows Update - Kudos to dailyapps.net
pause

Save the files as sp3.bat, or anything as long as it ends in .bat, and double click it. All it dose is change a registry setting making it appear that you are in the SP3 beta. I have used it to download and install it, and I have to say I have noticed a difference. System seems faster, have had no crashes or hang ups.

What is nice with this method is that you are getting it through Windows Update, not some torrent where you don't know if its legit or not. And the registry change safe. Here is the original article about it, with a download link to a .bat file if you don't want to copy and paste.

http://://dailyapps.net/2007/11/hack-attack-g...windows-update/

And no, this is not an illegal hack, and it will not get you in trouble. Windows Update dose not collect information about your system, so it will not report back to Microsoft that you are installing SP3. It is safe to use.

SacredCultivator

@chosenken: Thanks for that and it works :) and I would like to thank you again for adding that assurance of it being safe.

---

EDIT:

Ahhh it stopped on me halfway through installation >< so guess it doesn't work for me.. Tried it on 2 desktops + 1 laptop and they all stopped midway through installation.

---

2nd EDIT:

-From that link someone mentioned to install the Framework thingy.. and that didn't solve anything either...

-Ehh not sure how to revert back to have it NOT show SP3 (Even though it is already downloaded) as I think I'll just wait for the OFFICIAL release, but not sure if it'll show up on WU if SP3 still is on there.

---

3rd EDIT:

Makes sense.. I altered and removed some programs which is why it fails on me ><

All of you, be more careful on system updates next time. Also, DO NOT POST hacks that may be harmful to others without warning them explicitly in your post, or you may get yourself warned...

SacredCultivator

Actually I just realized why it fails for me so i have a question.. As SP's require all XP components to be installed (I removed quite a few with XPLite), is it possible to 'install' XP again without losing my information...

And if so would I be installing with 'Upgrade' option? Opposed to 'New Install'.. Or might there be an option on the CD to just 'install' whatever is missing? (Which I honestly am not sure what I uninstalled =X)

Um....You might be able to repair the system....

Insert an original XP disk, not a custom one like Winlite or Nlite. Then at the installation menu, there should be an option to hit R to run a repair. Repair will look at the system files and reinstall ones that are corrupt or not present...so it might install the missing programs. You can also try the Upgrade, though I'm not sure if it is there when the system already has XP on it. As always, BACK UP IMPORTANT INFORMATION! The install option will reinstall Windows, wiping the hard drive, but repair won't.

Sorry to hear about the problems you had. I have ran the SP3 install on two computers, both of which were custom Windows install (Used NLite to import updates, drivers, and remove some things), and had no issues.

Also, you would have had the same issue if you had downloaded the patch from a torrent site.

The best thing is when SP3 dose come out, recreate your custom Windows CD with SP3 integrated into it. I plan too.

I'm also sorry that I didn't warn you about this. Using this edit, I had install SP3 on two machines, and help varius other people with it with out running into issue. I'm sorry if it cause you trouble. Good luck!

SacredCultivator

@Chosenken: hmm yeah the 'upgrade' option is available to me and I am running on XP already. Later in the day, shall try that repair thing, hoping it doesn't wipe anything.

so i take it this isn't the final release ? :lol:

@Chosenken: hmm yeah the 'upgrade' option is available to me and I am running on XP already. Later in the day, shall try that repair thing, hoping it doesn't wipe anything.

I must warn you that drivers and some other settings would be reset with the repair option of XP... prepare yourself to reinstall them after repair (chipset drivers, video card, and maybe sound card and network adapter too...) It happened to me once in my sister's PC when I repaired her system that was all messed up!

Prepare to update XP after repair too - all updates you have installed will be gone also!

All other information (files stored in that computer and programs installed) got no trouble at all.

My best and good luck. :lol:

Slipstreaming this with a WinXP2 installation is the only way that I m gonna try.

Windows xp pro sp2.

Laptop.

used the info given. run the file then visit windows updates. sp3 was there.

Downloaded Fine.

Installed Fine.

Running Fine.

Installed over a clean copy of XP pro sp2. maybe thats why i didn't have any problems?

There is nothing much changed... boot up time... shut down time... mem usage... any of the regular things people go for.

I will still wait awhile until its released by Microsoft

iagree.any idea on the release date for sp3 stable?

I will still wait awhile until its released by Microsoft

iagree.any idea on the release date for sp3 stable?

my guess would be anytime within the next 2-3 months? (msoft probably got that many beta testers on this it shouldn't take that long)

I installed sp3 beta downlaoded from MS website.

I have win xp pro sp2 tweaked with xplite.

just downloaded & installed, no need to edit registry.

System is working stable for the past 5-7 days, & found no problem.

Infact i found no gain also, may be they have solved some hidden problems.

anyway nice release from ms, waiting for the final release.

p3-550Mhz, 192 MB RAM, 4MB sis graphic cards......

Archived