DKT27

• Administrator

CoreAVC is one of the worlds fastest h.264 video decoders. However installing it will create problems on your system if you already have K-Lite Codec Pack installed. Here is a simple way to have both CoreAVC and K-Lite Codec Pack installed and working together.

What you'll need:

• K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard / Full / Mega / 64 bit)
  • CoreAVC

So here is how to do it:

1) Install K-Lite Codec Pack with your preferred settings.

2) Start the CoreAVC installer. Follow the steps. During the installation the CoreAVC installer will ask you which components to install, uncheck / deselect Haali Media Splitter (Very Important!):

TF5U3.png

Continue your installation and allow it to finish.

3) Now you'll need to disable ffdshow from decoding H.264. Just start the ffdshow video decoder from start menu (K-Lite Codec Pack > Configuration > ffdshow video decoder). Go into codecs and click on the Decoder of H.264/AVC and change it to disabled:

bqxib.png

Click apply and close it.

4) Play a video (encoded in H.264) in your favorite media player (i.e. Media Player Classic) and enjoy. smile.gif

5) You should see a tray icon like this when CoreAVC is being used:

kBksE.png

The red one is CoreAVC. It turns into red for ATI/AMD graphics cards and green for nVidia (when your graphics card supports Hardware Acceleration), blue when your graphics card doesn't support Hardware Acceleration.

Questions / Problems?

Q1) I followed the above and my media player still doesn't use CoreAVC.

Open Start Menu, go to CoreCodec folder and click Re-Register CoreAVC and Re-Register 64-bit CoreAVC. Open CoreCodec folder again and open "configure CoreAVC" and select Preferred decoder:

fcva6.png

Q2) I have a ATI/AMD or nVidia graphics card that has Hardware Acceleration but CoreAVC is still not using HA.

Open CoreAVC Decoder Properties (see above) and check / enable CUDA or DXVA:

Gq7mg.png

Q 3) Installing CoreAVC keeps on crashing Windows Explorer or my entire system.

Uninstall both K-Lite Codec Pack and CoreAVC, and reinstall them both following this tutorial. Make sure you un-check / deselect Haali Media Splitter during CoreAVC installation.

Q 4) CoreAVC still doesn't work.

Make sure you have latest graphics card drivers and updates installed. Also, see if your computer meets system requirements for CoreAVC.

Q 5) Media Player Classic doesn't use DXVA.

Read this.

Q 6) I have more or different questions / quires / problems not mentioned above.

Post about it below.

Credits: nsane.forums staff.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 33
  • Views 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks buddy for this helping section i really sorry badly needed it thanks for sharing the remedy once again. he he he he he he :towel:

• Administrator

Sorry to ask but, what exactly is the advantage of using CoreAVC over libavcodec since libavcodec can also use DXVA?

Because CoreAVC is the fastest software decoder in the world. Also, if you compare CoreAVC and other decoders (including libavcodec), you'll see a far more better quality in CoreAVC than with others.

Thanks DKT. Was CoreAVC free before? Because, if I remember correctly, K-Lite used to use or has an option for CoreAVC, now they switched to libavcodec. I do wish that this new Hi10P (10bit) encoding going on in anime will not catch up with movies because, from what I've read, you can't use DXVA with the existing video cards out there yet.

SacredCultivator

Am I correct to assume that this works in the same fashion for CCCP?

As it's more to do with the ffdshow settings?

• Administrator

Am I correct to assume that this works in the same fashion for CCCP?

As it's more to do with the ffdshow settings?

I dunno. Never actually tried CCCP. But I think there's a (easy) option in CCCP to set Proffered Decoders? Otherwise, I think all the things mentioned above should apply to CCCP.

hey dkt

i use potplayer,it i would assume already has a decoder,but dont know if its coreavc ??could i use coreavc along with potplayer,following the guide and mark it as the "preferred decoder"

heres my graphics card description

http://imgur.com/ZJXwg

according to this link coreavc should work on this hardware right ??

• Administrator

As for requirement, I believe it should work, but it wont use DXVA (DXVA allows hardware accelerated decoding).

As for the player, I don't know, no player itself will use CoreAVC as it's a paid decoder, and I don't think it should work directly, but I heard PotPlayer based on KMPlayer? If so, there has to be an way to make it work.

hmm..maybe i wll try media player classic along with coreavc next time i install to check the result.thanks for info :)

which players are reportedly working with this decoder? kmplayer and wmp classic?

• Administrator

@centserick2: Which player and OS are you using? Did you follow all the instructions?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I did all the above instructions but it does not work with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (build no: 1.5.2.3456), i.e the icon of CoreAVC does not show in tray system bar but with Media Player Classic (version 6.4.9.1). I use WinXP 32-bit SP3; my video card is GeForce 8600 GT. I have just updated driver of my video card to version 285.58

• Administrator

Try these things:

MPC-HC > View > Options > Internal Filters > Uncheck H264/AVC (DXVA).

Then, in the options, go in External Filters > Add Filter > select CoreAVC Video Decoder > OK > set it as "Prefer" on the right.

Apply the changes, close the options, restart MPC-HC and see if it shows in the tray when playing H.264 videos. :)

I found that after installing Coreavc...I have Windows Explorer crashing when opening external hard disk's video folder which is full of .mkv and .avi files.

It happen all the time..till I had Coravc removed....anyone had this problem?

Using Windows 7 x64

• Administrator

2 questions:

Did you follow the guide properly?

Do you use a 64-bit media player? If you don't, then there's a way to fix it.

Thing is, the problem here is not only with CoreAVC, it's a mixture of CoreAVC and Haali's thumbnail handling.

What you can do is, open Start Menu > CoreCodec > Un-Register 64-Bit CoreAVC. This will unregister CoreAVC as the default thumbnail handler (and decoder) in 64-bit explorer hence avoiding any crashes. This is not suppose to happen but somehow somewhere, from v3.x or so, Haali is messing the thumbnails, it is not suppose to touch thumbnails.

@K'Dude: I looked into some videophiles sites :P and found that CoreAVC with PotPlayer is very much possible. I saw that PotPlayer's options are very similar to MPC-HC, infact easier. You'll have to dig in the options and set it as default MP4 or H.264 decoder.

2 questions:

Did you follow the guide properly?

Do you use a 64-bit media player? If you don't, then there's a way to fix it.

Thing is, the problem here is not only with CoreAVC, it's a mixture of CoreAVC and Haali's thumbnail handling.

What you can do is, open Start Menu > CoreCodec > Un-Register 64-Bit CoreAVC. This will unregister CoreAVC as the default thumbnail handler (and decoder) in 64-bit explorer hence avoiding any crashes. This is not suppose to happen but somehow somewhere, from v3.x or so, Haali is messing the thumbnails, it is not suppose to touch thumbnails.

Yup, thanks DKT27, I am using Splash Pro...your instruction did the trick..no more Explorer crashing.

Thanks again.

Archived