The future of Bada OS vs. Android

RadioActive

RadioActive

It's no secret that Android is gaining popularity every day, but what about the Bada OS?

I know it reached the development of version 1.2 with the release of the Samsung Wave II S8530 and I also read that Samsung plans to release version 2.0 by the end of 2011 which will be a major overhaul of the Bada OS and there even talks that both the Wave and Wave II will support the upgrade to 2.0.

So, where does that leave the Bada OS? I'm looking for thoughts as well as opinions of those who actually used the Bada OS before, how did you like it? If you you used both Bada and Android how do they compare in terms of ease-of-use, performance, and availability of applications?

The reason I started thinking about this is I'm considering getting a new smartphone, and the Samsung Wave II S8530 seems like a great choice for a decent price (about the same price as the Motorola Defy) but I'm hesitant due to the overwhelming popularity of Android compared to Bada.

• Replies 7
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you buy BADA you limit yourself to apps made for BADA which are not many free ones. Android has a much bigger library of free apps. Upgrading the phones are easier said than done, most carriers don't release the firmware updates and the manufacturers themselves take long to release the updates. So it's better to just get the one with the latest OS already installed else you will be waiting a long time before you get an update.

Dark Dragon

It's no secret that Android is gaining popularity every day, but what about the Bada OS?

I know it reached the development of version 1.2 with the release of the Samsung Wave II S8530 and I also read that Samsung plans to release version 2.0 by the end of 2011 which will be a major overhaul of the Bada OS and there even talks that both the Wave and Wave II will support the upgrade to 2.0.

So, where does that leave the Bada OS? I'm looking for thoughts as well as opinions of those who actually used the Bada OS before, how did you like it? If you you used both Bada and Android how do they compare in terms of ease-of-use, performance, and availability of applications?

The reason I started thinking about this is I'm considering getting a new smartphone, and the Samsung Wave II S8530 seems like a great choice for a decent price (about the same price as the Motorola Defy) but I'm hesitant due to the overwhelming popularity of Android compared to Bada.

Well, i have used Bada 1.1 on Wave 723 for a while. Now i'm using Android 2.3. Bada is just SHIT. It can never be as good as Android or iOS. Bada lacks in applications. On the other hand Bada OS gives "AMAZING BATTERY LIFE" while android just sucks under this segment. If you want a super stable smartphone with amazing batterylife then go for Bada, if you want maximum customization then go for android.

Note:

i listened to music for 16hrs in my wave (bada 1.1) and my battery reduced from 100% to 83%.

i listened to music for 6 hrs in my android one and my battery reduced from 100% to 49%

Well, i have used Bada 1.1 on Wave 723 for a while. Now i'm using Android 2.3. Bada is just SHIT. It can never be as good as Android or iOS. Bada lacks in applications. On the other hand Bada OS gives "AMAZING BATTERY LIFE" while android just sucks under this segment. If you want a super stable smartphone with amazing batterylife then go for Bada, if you want maximum customization then go for android.

Note:

i listened to music for 16hrs in my wave (bada 1.1) and my battery reduced from 100% to 83%.

i listened to music for 6 hrs in my android one and my battery reduced from 100% to 49%

@Dark Dragon: remember also about the gadget... You can't just compare 2 different gadget based on their OS... Except you use only 1 gadget to compare 2 OS...

It all depends on what you will do with your gadget. If you just use it to browse, send/receive email and SMS, often listening to music, Bada is enough for you..

But if you want it to be able to play games (especially the good one), install apps as much as you like, customize your OS, etc, etc, and etc, perhaps Android is more suitable for you.

RadioActive

Thanks for the all the replies, I think I'll go for Android. As to which phone I still haven't decided, might be the Samsung Galaxy Ace.

karachidude

the samsung wave 723 i have gives exceptional battery time like mentioned above,but there are no bada apps available,so cant customize it much :mellow:

i tried MeeGo on N900 , it's dead for real

right now i have motorola M2 with froyo 2.2.2 , android is the future . even tho companies are too lazy to put up updates but google is working so hard on this thing

i like android more even tho i'm having troubles at the market (You know what a syrian guy would face online)

P.S : Never tried the Bada thing anyway

• 2 weeks later...
RadioActive

MeeGo is till pretty new, so you can't really compare it to Andoroid. I think -given enough time- it will mature into a contender, although its future seems bleak after Nokia's douchebaggery (abandoning MeeGo for Windows Phone 7).

Archived