Laptop broke - Buying a new one - AMD vs Intel

DoLFaN

Maybe not so much my laptop, but my batteries. They have died. They no longer charge. Thus whenever my power cord gets knocked loose for even a brief second or less my computer shuts off. Right now I am using my friends battery and it is working, and charging...

I could buy a new battery, but I'm tired of this computer. I have a strong gut feeling that the longer I keep this laptop the more fucked I'll be in the long run.

Anyways, I've been looking at Dells and HPs. The thing that struck me was that Dell for the most part used Intel, and HP for the most part used AMD.

So: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo vs. AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology.

Differences?

Now, for the laptop. I like it small. 12"-14". I need power, but I'm not sure how much. I'm impatient. I don't like sitting around waiting for shit to load. I am a multi-process user. At any given time there are at least two programs running. Generally, I'll have two firefox windows open, one or two ms word windows open, an excel file, and AIM running all at the same time. Now and then I have Photoshop running too.

I want Vista Home Premium. I know you need at least 2 GB of RAM. Would more be a waste of money? Does the difference between 5400 RPM and 7400 RPM matter for HDD's? Is 1.5 ghz enough or should I get 2.2 ghz for the processor? Also, is the difference between 600 FSB and 800 FSB significant? WTF IS FSB? lol.

I know this is a lot. I have been doing research, but I have so little time. Between work, school, and the fraternity I am SUPER busy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

GHZ doesn't mean much nowadays.

FSB = Front Side Bus, its related to how quickly you can transfer between CPU and Northbridge.

As for the rest of it... i can't be bothered replying :rolleyes:

You're a fool Lite.

=-P

Anyways. I don't think I need to go for 7400 RPM because I don't hard core game, video edit, or compile. I do each of those every so often, but not that much. So I'm thinking I should get 5400 RPM because of saving battery power.

I hear the difference between 600 mhz FSB and 800 mhz FSB is significant. So I'm going to look for that.

I did a search on newegg: Clicky

The criteria:

Max Price - 1800

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Turion 64 X2

Screen Size - 10"-14"

OS - Windows Vista Ultimate or Home Premium

HD - 100 GB or more

Memory Size - 2 GB

Blue Tooth - Yes

Everything else was labeled as "Any"

I was looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834147477

I'm not too happy with the CPU because it doesn't say how much FSB. Plus I'm still deciding between AMD or Intel

I want Vista Home Premium. I know you need at least 2 GB of RAM. Would more be a waste of money? Does the difference between 5400 RPM and 7400 RPM matter for HDD's? Is 1.5 ghz enough or should I get 2.2 ghz for the processor? Also, is the difference between 600 FSB and 800 FSB significant? WTF IS FSB? lol.

2Gb should be fine

7400 RPM a must

800MHz is definetly better than 600MHz

Faster the proc better it is.. but it is relative now...

I m a fan of AMD so I would say AMD would be value for money.. but if can spend some extra $$ one can go in for a Intel preferebly Intel Core 2 Duo 6xxx series

From what I've learned, the HDD RPM speed does not matter that much. 7200 actually takes a lot of juice, so I should just got with 5400. But Zeus is saying otherwise. Why is it that important?

I have learned that FSB is very important and I think I will go for no less than 800.

What exactly does the processor do then? A computer is clearly based on synergy. One component does not work without the other. It's the sum of the parts. I feel like the processor, which many would argue is the most important component, seems to be the most reliant on the other parts.

So if I were to get say 5400 RPM with 677 mhz FBS and 1 GB RAM, that 2.2 ghz processor wont be of much use. Am I right or way off?

From what I've learned, the HDD RPM speed does not matter that much. 7200 actually takes a lot of juice, so I should just got with 5400. But Zeus is saying otherwise. Why is it that important?

I beg to differ.. Its actually simple. Keeping the platter size the same...

5400 = 90 revolutions/sec

7200 = 120 revolutions/sec

30 extra revolutions do make a difference.. thats just in 1 sec.

those 30 extra revolutions give u more data transfered.

But as DoLFaN mentioned "So if I were to get say 5400 RPM with 677 mhz FBS and 1 GB RAM, that 2.2 ghz processor wont be of much use"

Speed of FSB...

Speed of Memory

7200 RPM HDD

are important

Choosing between Intel and AMD should have little impact when compared to the above.

I see what you are saying. I'll try to go with the 7200.

For the dell configuration, there are a few questions I have.

Graphics: Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 vs. 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS vs. 128MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 135M™

Wireless: Is getting wireless n worth it? Isn't it still under development? I plan on keeping the laptop for many years, which is why I may want to have wireless n (to be prepared for the future). But I mean.... is it WORTH the money?

Audio: Integrated High Definition Audio vs. Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition vs. High Definition Audio 2.0 vs. Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

(Anyone notice the odd differences between dell offered products?)

I'm getting close to the end here guys, thanks for the help thus far.

I see what you are saying. I'll try to go with the 7200.

For the dell configuration, there are a few questions I have.

Graphics: Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 vs. 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS vs. 128MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 135M™

Wireless: Is getting wireless n worth it? Isn't it still under development? I plan on keeping the laptop for many years, which is why I may want to have wireless n (to be prepared for the future). But I mean.... is it WORTH the money?

Audio: Integrated High Definition Audio vs. Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition vs. High Definition Audio 2.0 vs. Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

(Anyone notice the odd differences between dell offered products?)

I'm getting close to the end here guys, thanks for the help thus far.

On video cards I generally would go for nVidia my 1st choise and then ATI... I would not think of intel

The 8400mGS is a fairly powerful update of the older Go7400. It's a mid-range graphics card that should be able to handle all games out right now at at least medium detail.

i dont have time right now to check between the 2 nvidia....surely will post something tomm on this

Wireless technology takes a lot of time to get implemented.. so I would go with the one available...

Go with the Realtek HD Audio.. very good in regards to drivers.(Had this on my old mobo)

SoundMAX HD Audio is very poor in this regards.. and other nagging issues as well (this is what I have now)

2Gb should be fine

7400 RPM a must

800MHz is definetly better than 600MHz

Faster the proc better it is.. but it is relative now...

I m a fan of AMD so I would say AMD would be value for money.. but if can spend some extra $$ one can go in for a Intel preferebly Intel Core 2 Duo 6xxx series

if you want a smoking operating system, i would get the amd 64 bit in wxp pro.vista sucks in either 32 0r 64 bit

I'm getting Vista as I'm a business student. Windows XP is the requirement, but business go with the top technology, and sad to say Vista is it.

Okay, I'll scrap the wireless n garbage. Still not too sure ont he graphics or audio tho...

I'm getting Vista as I'm a business student. Windows XP is the requirement, but business go with the top technology, and sad to say Vista is it.

Okay, I'll scrap the wireless n garbage. Still not too sure ont he graphics or audio tho...

every one said the same thing about xp wen it first came out...do those people want to go back to win98??

Not at all...

edit: A quick Q: About the sound card... I have a (albeit not very good) surround sound system. What I do with my current computer is use a 3.5mm male audio to RCA cord. I plug the 3.5mm into my headphone jack of my laptop and plug the RCA end into my sub woofer (which is connected to all my other speakers). Would getting a better sound card increase the sound quality I'll hear through my surround sound? I know getting a sound card is pointless if ur only using ur laptop's internal speakers...but what if you don't just use those internal piece's of shit?

Regarding Wireless..

Cisco Systems Tuesday answered one of the biggest questions surrounding the 802.11n high-speed wireless standard by unveiling plans to ship draft-based products within the next two months. Cisco plans in October to begin shipping its new Aironet 1250 Series access point, the vendor's first enterprise-grade 802.11n equipment. The technology, developed in-house, is based on the 2.0 draft version of 802.11n and has received certification by the Wi-Fi Alliance, said Ben Gibson, director of mobility solutions at Cisco, San Jose, Calif.

Cisco also plans to launch a new high-density WLAN controller module for its Catalyst 6500 switches and new Catalyst switches to meet the increased power needs of the new access point, he said. Industry observers had been buzzing over whether or not the wireless market leader would join several of its peers in rolling out gear based on the draft specification or wait for final ratification by the IEEE standards body. Probably the biggest question of all is how much longer the industry will have to wait for the much-delayed standard to be ratified. Ratification is now expected in the latter half of 2008.

Its safe to go in with the Default/Standard Wireless option provided. I believe we right now just have 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g

edit: A quick Q: About the sound card... I have a (albeit not very good) surround sound system. What I do with my current computer is use a 3.5mm male audio to RCA cord. I plug the 3.5mm into my headphone jack of my laptop and plug the RCA end into my sub woofer (which is connected to all my other speakers). Would getting a better sound card increase the sound quality I'll hear through my surround sound? I know getting a sound card is pointless if ur only using ur laptop's internal speakers...but what if you don't just use those internal piece's of shit?

of course, if you're wanting true surround sound support you'll definitely want to ditch the internal POS as they usually only come with support for 2-channel output. it'll also push more watts per channel so you'll get a much loader and clearer signal sent to the amp :blink:

basically tho, just get a sound card that's labeled as having Dolby 5.1/6.1/7.1 support (depending on how many speaker you have) and you should be good on that end. Sound Blaster is always a good choice...

Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio

Dell is selling the add-on for the Audigy Advanced HD Audio as a hardware upgrade. You receive a software upgrade. This is not a hardware upgrade if you are doing this on a Dell. Basically updated drivers for your internal soundcard.

The Audigy sound boosts the clarity of the speakers, and really does make it a lot clearer.

Read More Here

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio = Integrated High Definition Audio = High Definition Audio 2.0 = Realtek ALCxxx Series (Generally/Prefered)

The only real Upgrade I saw was Sound Blaster® X-FITM XtremeMusic (D)1 with Dolby 5.1 ($75 more)

I would go with High Definition Audio

You would need atleast 3 ports to get a real 5.1 System working... otherwise its of no use.

That thread is over a year old, bud. Haha

So if it's just software then it seems pointless.

I have two reasonings....

1) How can a software REALLY make my hardware that much better?

2) It's software.... SOFTware.... I'm a file sharing nig..... enough said?

• Administrator

Drivers (a SOFTware) can make a huge difference in terms of perfromance, reliability and useability of a hardware.

That thread is over a year old, bud. Haha

So if it's just software then it seems pointless.

I have two reasonings....

1) How can a software REALLY make my hardware that much better?

2) It's software.... SOFTware.... I'm a file sharing nig..... enough said?

A description of Intel Celeron 2.0GHz 5 years back would not change the description today... is it ?

Doesnt matter if it is a year Old.. its the same thing u are/would be buying.

Software that brings sound card functionality to integrated audio for:Better game audio output, 3D audio and EAX effects

Surround sound up-mixing of stereo music

Cinematic sound with DVD player

Dont know more...

SOFTware... ;)

Sort of like putting a professional race car driver behind the wheel of a race car....compared to putting me behind a race car.

We both have the same sweet set up, but he can utilize the car better...

Si?

And in either case. I still stand by the fact that this is software and thus downloadable somewhere, unless it's not so simple for drivers or...w/e?

little late and maybe pointless but how about going to hp web site (others maybe too) click on federal employee. you then get to see hp cust laptops with a $300 or more discount off the top. the price is cut that much automatical so you dont see it as a discount.

There's some good info, although I'm sure you'd have to provide some documentation or something.

It's def not too late to keep coming with the info. I'm making due right now with my laptop, but i need a knew one soon b4 this breaks more and completely fucks me.

Plus i simply havent had the time to order one

Archived