Disk Boot Failure

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

The scan won't even start, I tried to fix it using the OS disk but it didn't work, And if you're referring to "IDE" as data cables, I don't have any of them, I use "SATA" cables.

• Replies 47
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am referring to settings in your BIOS.. and you have to have IDE Adapter enabled regardless.. ( well sometimes.. ) worth a check anyway... Very odd that your scan will not work... or start.. when you had booted up in Hirens.. where you able to navigate and explore the files on your HD?

Try this:

Repair startup issues

1.Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start your computer.

2.Press a key when you are prompted.

3.Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

4.Click Repair your computer.

5.Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7.Type (these commands are safe - more information)

Code:

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Code:

Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Code:

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Press ENTER after each command.

8.Restart your computer.

That should do the trick! However if you still can't start Windows, then follow step 1 to 6 again and type this command (more information about this command):

Code:

Bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

Press ENTER and restart your computer.

Your drive could be bad!!!

If it is there in no MBR fix, Utitlity, or App that's going to fix it.

I would highly reccommend replacing the drive, installing windows, cross your fingers and see if you can recover data from the old drive.

There is some good data recovery programs on the forums I have seen.. "If needed"

Even if it isn't bad at least your machine is up and running and your able to get data, then use it as a backup drive.

Good luck!!!

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

@heath28m,I think the "IDE" is disabled, And yes I was able to navigate through my files.

@NoJuan, The commands worked, But I'm afraid if they were not permanent, Cause I once tried these commands and they were temporary.

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

@The Pope, Is there any way to Check the HDD if it was damaged?

• Administrator

@heath28m,I think the "IDE" is disabled, And yes I was able to navigate through my files.

Is there any way to Check the HDD if it was damaged?

Try changing the HDD mode to IDE from BIOS and try again. There would be a option for that for sure.

Hiren would be having many HDD health checking utilities, can't put a finger on one though. Normal softwares that checks and shows HDD's SMART data would also help...

Yeah usually if IDE is not enabled the system will not properly boot from the device.. I have mine set to BOTH for Primary and Secondary... I believe meaning my DD and HD are both bootable..

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

I cant find this IDE thing, The problem still exists, And if it boots well, A blue screen appears and the system restarts.

PS Sorry for not replying sooner, Cause I couldn't get the PC to work until now.

Mine is n the BIOS along with enabling support for Legacy USB.. and you did try a repair with the OS Disc and a Disk Scan correct? - just using the regular options...

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

Onboard IDE Controller is ENABLED. I once tried to repair using the OS disk but it was temporary, I even Re-Installed the whole OS(As a Fresh Install), But it didn't work.

Try to reset your BIOS to Factory Defaults... save and exit and see how it blows... :P Not much left to go on here except to try another HD and see if you get the same error.. Sounds like its is in the board.. or the BIOS... Have you had any other odd problems with hardware in the past?

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

How to reset it?

I ran some tests on the HDD, And the results was very good, It showed that its 100% healthy.

This is the first problem that I face with any hardware.

Would flashing the Bios do any good?

• Administrator

You can reset the defaults from the BIOS itself. Other way being removing the coin shaped battery out from the motherboard for 10-15mins and re-inserting it back. Best if you try the first one first. All the BIOSs has a restore factory defaults feature. BTW, what's your motherboard model and BIOS?

I'm still trying to remember what solved my problem. Just can't. :frusty: It was on the Win98 - WinXP times when I had faced it.

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

Aha, I removed the battery more than 99999999999999 times, But this solution was temporary, And sometimes it didn't even work.

Motherboard:

Manufacturer : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Model : EP45-DS4P

Bios:

BIOS Vendor : Award Software International, Inc.

BIOS Version : F8

BIOS Date : 09/30/2008

BIOS Size : 1024 KB

BIOS Starting Segment : E000h

DMI Version : 2.4

Have you ever used a Drive Encryption Lock or Hardware Lockout through the BIOS.. ( you know so that you have to type in a password on Boot to get it to start ).. Desktop or Laptop?

Check all connections ( only after reseting your BIOS to factory ).. to all hardware... after cleaning the thing.. go through it front to back.. look for anything odd.. put it all back together as intended .. and start with the basics... fresh install of Windows... You may even want to try wiping the partitions themselves...and starting fresh with a Partition tool in Hirens to ready the disk with Format for installation.. Next would be to track down the faulty hardware and use another system to investigate the settings in the BIOS and for Windows using the Internet... If the drive is old and has had a lot of writing to the disk and has never had a wipe it may be at the point to where it corrupts data.. so there could be a problem there...

Start with the basics and work your way out..

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

Okay lets see, From line one to the word "installation..", Done even before posting the problem.

I don't know how to do this

track down the faulty hardware and use another system to investigate the settings in the BIOS and for Windows using the Internet...

The drive is new.

What I mean is that startup or Boot problems.. which could be triggering the event may actually have something to do with another piece of hardware.. SO like a Video card or Disk Drive installed or something to that effect.. I probably would have already taken the system outdoors and tortured and killed it by now...

HOWEVER.. I would spend my time in the BIOS.. using another laptop or something.. researching your settings as they are stated in your BIOS to see about anything that may not be understood.. or even curious if it has any relation to.. Could shed some light on it in rare instances.. and some thing while they look like or are understood to be one thing could be quite another.. noticed that in my years about.. LOL .. It can be worth having something to reference..

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

Finally got the damn thing to work for a while, Sorry I couldn't reply any sooner.

Well, I actually don't know how to do any thing that you've mentioned in your last reply.

What I mean is that startup or Boot problems.. which could be triggering the event may actually have something to do with another piece of hardware

How to find this piece of hardware, You're talking about.

Let me know how to find it, And I'll happily burn it and get a new or even better one.

The first place I would look for an indication is in the Event Viewer.. or the Systems Logs.. errors are logged there from software and hardware... That can lead you in the right direction.. You can also run a Performance assessment .. Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools\Advanced Tools > All the at the bottom.. Generate a System Health Report.. and a few more options in there as well..

Do some digging in this area and see if you can find ANYTHING.. at all.. that could be an indicator.. I really hate your having trouble with the system..

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

System Health Report came out with normal results,

The first place I would look for an indication is in the Event Viewer.. or the Systems Logs.. errors are logged there from software and hardware...

Nothing there.

There is seven warning LEDs on the motherboard, they only turn on if there is a problem, And the IDE-LED & the SA-LED turn on each time I turn on the PC.

Could this help with something?

I would say you need to consult the manual for documentation on what these indicate.. but yes there is something wrong there..

Archived