surfing Web at 40 gigabits-per-second

Bolt_Gundam510

Bolt_Gundam510

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- She is a latecomer to the information superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet with a dizzying speed.

Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city officials said.

In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her home computer -- many thousand times faster than most residential connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.

Jonsson and Lothberg's son, Peter, worked together to install the connection.

The speed is reached using a new modulation technique that allows the sending of data between two routers placed up to 1,240 miles apart, without any transponders in between, Jonsson said.

"We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet speed," he said.

Peter Lothberg, who is a networking expert, said he wanted to demonstrate the new technology while providing a computer link for his mother.

"She's a brand new Internet user," Lothberg said by phone from California, where he lives. "She didn't even have a computer before."

His mother isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection. She only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.

Source: CNN TECHNOLOGY

• Replies 20
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm and the hardware is NSA like or what? 40GB/s will smoke every normal HDD ;)

So ... i think a 100MBit connection should do everything for your personal amousement, fully :)

greetz SCORPiON

Bolt_Gundam510
And I'm downloading at 60kB/s, oh the humanity! The humanity! ;)
GO SWEDEN! :w00t: :coolwink: :dribble: :tease: :clap: :) :thumbsup: :snooty: ;) :king:
Holy Fuck! :eek: Thats all i have to say about that......
Now I'm jealous!

what are yall talking about i just want brad band in my area and i can't get it, couse AT&T said they haven't put it out this far. so bascialy what they are saying, we are in a dead zone and wont ever get it out in my area.

Jeez. The rest of the world blazes ahead, and Australia gets "fraudband" speeds of a whopping 1.5Mbit if you're lucky! We also get caps on the amount of data we can download per month, and some of our biggest ISPs even count upload data! Yay!

I've got ADSL2+, 24Mbit theoretical speed but since I'm 4km from the exchange I get 5Mbit on a good day. Also have 60GB/month quota, which is a fuckton compared to other offerings; ie Telstra, our country's largest telco offers "broadband" with a 200MB a month limit. Woo-fuckin-hoo. The excess data usag charges are also $150AU ($132US) per GB, and I am not shitting you on that. :)

Well that wasn't that bad? We pay for 24mbits and get ~8mbits, it costs 299 Swedish kronor = 45.003088 US$ (its not the cheapest). 60GB a month thats not so bad my total download with utorrent is approx 80GB up and down, 40GB of it is full The Simpsons collection and full Family Guy and lot of movies (not counting my IDM and Rapidshare Premium)

well only person on ther special router so yeah she was fast. \

on a side note. they can now bend fiberoptics. which means connections right at the house. therefor we poor slow speed americans will be able to get better higher speeds now. but the comapnies want a 2 tier pay system so they will try to keep thet slower speeds.

40Gbps....

lol... :)

and we have to suffer for a "sizzling" 512 kbps (EGP 180 =~$30) and were are dying for a 2Mbps connection (EGP 750 =~$125)... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm and the hardware is NSA like or what? 40GB/s will smoke every normal HDD ;)

So ... i think a 100MBit connection should do everything for your personal amousement, fully :(

greetz SCORPiON

Hardrives choking constanly. GigaBit will do also.

"We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet speed," That is well said, exept a goverment\company can easily restrict you, and charge a price right out of their asses too (capital lovers)~{===8.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the internet prices are bogus here. I get:

• 8Mbps
  • Unlimited Downloads
  • Free calls via VOIP to landlines, Orange Mobile
  • Wireless Router
  • All for £5 (~$10) a month

• 8Mbps
  • Unlimited Downloads
  • Wireless Router

Nice!! Here in Sweden i get ~8mbit (says up to 24mbit) for 43$ (£21)...

• 8Mbps
  • Unlimited Downloads
  • Wireless Router

Aside from the fact that I keep reading from articles online / in magazines that Orange is absolutely abysmal when it comes to broadband, I struggle to find where you're paying £5 a month for the above. Their website offers £9.99 for 8MB (half price from £19.99) and £7.49 for 2MB (half price from £14.99).

Unlimited Downloads? I don't think so.

8MB Package: FUP Applies*

2MB Package: 2GB Allowance

All prices are MINUS the cost of the telephone line rental which is around the £11 a month mark.

Price includes £2.08 for Livebox wireless modem hire paid to Orange Broadband (not really an incentive is it). What if I own my own modem and wish to use that? Are they saying, "No it just won't do. You need our "Special" kind of modem to work!"

Free calls? Yes!!! But there's also a Fair Use Policy on that too.

Inclusive calls are to UK landlines starting with 01 and 02 numbers and calls to landlines in 100 international destinations listed here. Inclusive calls available via active broadband connection. Call charges apply to other calls. Calls are limited to a maximum of two hours and you can redial as often as you like. Calls are subject to fair use policy for our Talk service

I see no mention of free calls to Orange Mobiles, but I'm guessing that's in the smaller print.

On top of that you also failed to list that it's an 18 month contract, and you also need to be subscribed to a monthly mobile phone plan which is £30 or greater a month.

Next please... I've laughed enough.

• 3 weeks later...

whoah, some prices you guys have are BAD!

i get 20meg (up and down) (also soon to be 50meg/30meg) UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

unlimited landline calls, and unlimited calls to Virgin Mobile

400+ Channels + recordable live TV

only £34 a month

Archived