AMD Radeon vs Nvidia

ck_kent

That's why I said only leave the plug in if your power supply has an off switch at the back. ;) that disconnects everything but leaves the ground electrode connected so everything is earthed properly, once you touch the case you discharge and would be safe.

• Replies 87
  • Views 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Cooler installed. Up and running. :D

Took me about 2 hours. Did it a bit lazily :P . Even after cleaning it with spirit, I noticed that some certain marks still remained on the CPU, no not residue, but marks similar to how the compound looks, but rather embedded due to time... Seeing that, I used the cotton swab and the spirit two more times and it didn't get removed. I thought it wont be causing much problems. After that I was trying to do a blob but it got slight more downward and left side (just slight). Kept the cooler on it, pushed the pins, kept it for a min, removed to cooler, saw that the paste got little, very little below to the CPU's top, cleaned it with a swab. Added just a little compound to the right side of the cooler whose heatpipe didn't get any of it. Saw that the compound was thin enough on the CPU, just that it had the heatpipe grooves. Installed it and pushed the pins. Not to forget, attaching the pins is not easy, not hard either, because of the options of 775 and 1156 sockets. I may not have done it more than 80% right, but atleast better than anyone else could. Started BIOS, it showed 40C, the old fan showed 64-67C when the compound was not properly there. :D Here's a HWMonitor pic for you guys.. First fan is the cooler's fan. CPU almost idle at 1.2GHz. The fan speed reaches 2900RPM instead of 2800RPM that they sell at, good if you ask me. Though I have very little space in order to install the RAM.

Talking about the RAM, I opened it's box, not the plastic, just the box. And I see that it's width is far more less than the RAM I currently have. Looked like to cut the space, they have done something like this. I was worried. My current RAM would be about half of a finger, and this new RAM is about 1/3 of my finger. That's why I didn't install it :( . Thinking that it would cause problems if I use it for dual channel. Tell me guys, what should I do. I'm planning to call my engineer tomorrow and tell him about it. It's the same model, just that the new one is chinese and the current one is taiwan made.

Either way, I should thank you both for your support. I wouldn't have done it without your help. I'm greatfull to meet such a helpful guys. ^_^

EDIT: I'm keeping my case open for next couple of days. After that I'll close it due to unwanted dust.

If the ram is same model number then it will work, they just probably cut down the size of the pcb to save on manufacturing.

• Administrator

Yeah that's right. They have cut the size of the PCB. The current model number is: KVR1333D3N9/2G. And the new one is KVR1333D3N9/2G-SP. With the only difference that the first one has FBGA in it's specs and the later one is specifically made for india and china. You think it'll work fine?

You did it :)

Next time you change the paste, get a harsher textile and soak it in alcohol and keep it on the "embedded" portions until they dissolve. If it's paste, then it's removable ;)

• Administrator

Thanks to you two.... :)

I do fear I may have applied the compound a little more than wanted, just pushed it a little and dropped a bit more... Though, no problems whatsoever. I used OCCTPT's 6 mins test (that is, one min of testing), and it reached just 56C. ^_^

Called my engineer and he said that new models only come in these sizes now. The thing that matters is the size and frequency. I'll install the RAM tonight.

• Administrator

One hour. More than one hour I've wasted on this new RAM on conclude that it's crap and it's not working at all. PC failed to even beep. Tried it on three different slots. Will send this crap back.

ANW. While I checking it, I installed it in the slot where the previous one burned thinking that it was the RAM's fault and not the slot's. Yes, quite a idiot of me. But somehow before I plugged, I felt that I should re check it. I checked the burned RAM's slot and saw that it's two pins, exactly the burned pins of the previous RAM, those two pins in that slot are also burned. :frusty: If I didn't have checked, it would have been another RAM gone in water, this time, it would have been my mistake.

Either way, problems avoided, but new RAM is not working, will send it back and will see what kingston has to say, not another month. :frusty:

Glab I could help you somehow. In the end, it proves the long hours of organic chemistry delight back in the days served to something. And to think I'm not even a "hardware guy" (I saw you mentioned you put together your computer by yourself, I never achieved that :P)

Maybe the RAM slot is cleanable? I'm just saying, I never had issues like this. But I know that some mobos can burn your gear if used at high voltage and such (one recent example).

@DKT27:

I have to agree with toyo. I had the same problem before and cleaning the RAM slot was all it took ^_^

• Administrator

Nah. I've never overclocked. Maybe just a bit, about 5 x 20 = 100MHz via EPU Engine. And other being the graphics card as you know.. About the RAM, well the Asus mobos come with a jumper with abilty to allow RAM overclocking or not (I'm sure you know about it :) ). It's set to disabled by default and I haven't touched it. So no, the max voltage the RAM could reach is v1.5, that's the base speed.

EDIT: Nono. Those two pins in that RAM slot have literally burned, one of them seems to have broken down.

@DKT27:

The RAM slot is burned? D*mn. That's going to be a serious problem.

You can either RMA the board ( case-to-case basis ) or buy another one.

Before you return the ram go into your bios and set the speed and voltage manually, don't leave it on auto, set the 1333Mhz manually. Also try the new ram alone in the current slot you have your old ram working. So take out your current working ram and place the new ram into that same slot but before you do it remember to get into the bios and manually set the speed parameters. It's the only way to know for sure.

• Administrator

Well, I wont be replacing the MOBO for sure. It still has three working slots, that's enough even for future. :)

Honestly, I'm so tired testing the RAM that I'm in no mood to install it again and change the BIOS settings. Having said that, I did the Mem OK! thingy that would have automatically tested the right speeds and have booted the computer. Not to forget, it doesn't even beep when that stick is installed. I did try it in all the three working slots.

Archived