Kaspersky, NOD32, Symantec, Going Down!

Zeus_Hunt

A recent antivirus testing session conducted by AV-Test.org, a German testing group, revealed that the best security solution in the entire world is neither – as we would have expected – Kaspersky nor NOD32, but WebWasher. The study was meant to test the anti-malware functions of 29 security products and require them to scan 606,901 infected files. As PC Magazine mentioned, the main goal was to analyze only the detection functions, not the cleaning ones, because most of the products were configured for the highest level of security.

The samples shook out into four distinct categories - Trojans, worms, backdoors, and bots (zombies). Only Windows-based threats were used, and only current threats (meaning they're no older than 12 months). Overall, the products were most successful at detecting worms and bots. The range of ability in detecting Trojans was quite a bit wider. According to the same source, the test included 68,864 backdoors, 407,487 Trojan files, 47,891 bots and 82,659 worms. The results were quite amazing because WebWasher was the best product with no more than 99.83 percent for the detected viruses while the weakest one was Computer Associates's eTrust-VET with 62.12 percent.

"AV-Test.org, an independent testing group at the Otto-von-Guericke-University (Magdeburg, Germany), tested 29 anti-malware products with a very large set of files (606,901 to be specific). All products were last updated on Friday, May 18th, prior to the test. Only current malware was used, meaning all samples were seen in the last 12 months. Only Win32 malware, not 16-bit Windows or DOS, was used, and all malware had to be functional, as opposed to corrupted or benign samples," PC Magazine said.

As you can see WebWasher managed to earn the first position in the test, while more famous products were relegated to lower places. For example, the famous NOD32 was placed on the 16th position with a 88.32 detection rate, while Sophos recorded only 81.75 percent. F-Secure received the 4th position with 97.93 percent, being followed by Symantec – 97.77 percent and Kaspersky with 97.64 percent. The software giant Microsoft was placed among the weakest applications with a shocking result: 80.56 percent.

Limiting the list to products that we've reviewed in PC Magazine, the top scorer was Avira's Antivir, with 99% detection overall. F-Secure, Symantec, and Kaspersky all came close with 98% detection. Avast!, AVG, and BitDefender weren't far behind at 96%. From that point, though, scores start to trail off. Panda got 92%, Trend Micro got 91%, NOD32 88% and McAfee 87%. Microsoft's OneCare didn't come in dead last, as it did in an earlier test, but it only detected 81% of the threats.

Grisoft's Ewido Anti-spyware didn't do so well, detecting only 75% - but then, it's strictly an anti-spyware product, not an antivirus. As noted, AVG (also from Grisoft) scored 96%. VirusBuster, sold both as a standalone product and as the licensed antivirus in Agnitum's new security suite, only detected 73%. And bringing up the rear, Computer Associates eTrust-VET antivirus detected just 62%.

kasperskynod32symantecghs3.jpg

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 8
  • Views 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and to think i have used and defended nod32 all these years good thing i dont pay for it or i would be pissed lol

There's more to these tests than rate of detection!

Just think of proactive defence for example in KIS&KAV...

These solutions tend 2 come integrated, gone are the days when the detection rate was everything.

I don't say it isn't VERY important! Just not everything...

If there are more paranoiac friends, can use both avast and nod32. Slows down the system, offcourse but will be a better protection if you have a powerfull pc. They can be run without problem with each other.

Complete Test

avtestdj1.jpg

I am wondering how AVK 2007 is doing so well.. but I have heard so little about it.

Avk G DATA Software AG is the best multi engine antivirus system out there : it uses both kaspersky and avast engines plus the proactive defenses in kaspersky and is sometimes much faster than kav , but there are still some isuses regarding the speed of browsing ( because of the kaspersky http scan engine which is one of the slowest on the market but still it has been greatly improved by the guy's at avk) . The only downside i found was the fact that it's quite buggy sometimes expecialy if you wanna try and configured the program the user interface sometimes will crash but the av engnies will still work sow you will need to reboot to solve the problem ...

But now the fastest single engine in this one has been for more than half a year now is Avira engine which as the last av comapatives test show is much faster and has a greater detction rate than it's sompetitors , and at lest to say is that there free antivirus version Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic is much much better at detecting viruses and trojans than kaspersky and nod32 to bad it does not have an antimalware function which you can sustitute with Ad-Aware and Spy Bot Search and Destroy and as an firewall try the Comodo personal firewall much more stable and relieble than many of the $ firewalls on the market ( i especialy mean outpost and zonealarm) . By the way since the test was only on 68,864 backdoors 407,487 Trojan Horses 47,891 bots (zombies) 82,659 worms you should know that Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic beated those $ costing antiviruses since there weren't any spyware involved .

By the way an reaction of this test from F-Secure can be found here http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/, and this the way i acctualy leaned about this test .

I am wondering how AVK 2007 is doing so well.. but I have heard so little about it.

Even I had to look it up myself...

"G DATA AntiVirusKit 2005 (AVK) provides a double layer of protection, bundling both the Kaspersky and BitDefender antivirus engines under a single, easy-to-use console. The use of these engines offers an important advantage to AVK."

Main Site: http://www.gdata.de/portal/GB

Interesting results though from all AV's.

there is no such thing as an "independent and reliable test"...this one starts out with a huge flaw built into it as to how it tested and what it tested and what software was tested...i would also tend to think that if we really dug deep into what happened here we would find the financing for the test came form the "winning" program manufacturer ;) ...

• 3 months later...

Go to VB (Virus Bulletin). Better, subscribe to their full reports if you

want full IT level info. But it will cost. For a non-German summary

Comparitives.org

make some interesting comparisons across different A/V tasks.

The 2006 test report summary is revealing. NOD32 was overall

winner though comparatives.org acknowledged there is room for

improvement - why it pays to upgrade to the latest engine version.

Comments here re. 2 x engines eating up resources are echoed

elsewhere in the tech reports - why my preference is NOD32 plus

a couple of decent malware progs. But I'm not running a Quad core

or even a Duo. :pirate:

edit

AVK 2007 is in Beta and, by the way, now uses KAS and Avast

engines not KAS and Bitdefender. Some are not happy with this

change (even more hogging.)

edit

Hmm.

In my experience this is not the dual engine, but the

web scanner, which is slowing down the computer (memory leaks,