What do you really need running?

apcmiller

Every program that you run in the taskbar slows down your computer :P , so my question is this.....

What do you need to always have running?

Currently I have Sygate, Peerguardian 2, Memturbo, and Nod32 running.

But, the following programs could run too..

Ad-Aware adwatch

Spy Sweeper

AnyDVD

CloneCD

Roboform

Window Washer

Version Tracker

A couple of Spybot things ( not actually taskbar items but they run you can see them in the taskmanager )

And any number of other programs.

There are so many sheilds and programs that want to be running all at once, I would love to run everything, but then my system seems to slow to a snails pace.

I'm just wondering what everyone else is running right now ?? (especially Nsane and the moderator team) or, what you advise to run all the time.

(WOW this post turned out longer than i was planning, Oh Well :wacko: )

• Replies 23
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

memturbo - memory manager

nod32 - antivirus

anydyd - dvd decrypter

pg2 - ip blocker

sygate - firewall

powerstrip - gpu manager

edexter - replaces 'action cancelled' message from ad/sites blocked by the HOSTS file

i don't see a need for anything else :huh:

*Off-Topic* (Sort of...)

How does Ad-Watch work? When I used it gave me a message that somthing was changed and then I clicked on the option to undo this. The next thing was that everything was a .lnk file and couldn't open anything. I managed to fix it using xp_exe_fix and linkfile_fix files.

it's like a antivirus resident, but for spyware. it just prevents it from installing, so you really don't have to worry about cleaning it up :huh:

• Administrator
memturbo - memory manager

And you THINK this app actually does what to be exact?

it's like a antivirus resident, but for spyware. it just prevents it from installing, so you really don't have to worry about cleaning it up :huh:

AFAIK.... adwatch simply monitors SOME registry values (polls for changes at "x" intervals, ie the actual registry value must be installed FIRST before adwatch warns you.), ie autostart, common IE settings. Its not the "full" fledged protection.

AFAIK.... adwatch simply monitors SOME registry values (polls for changes at "x" intervals, ie the actual registry value must be installed FIRST before adwatch warns you.), ie autostart, common IE settings. Its not the "full" fledged protection.

Lite...vicious as ever. Thx though :huh:

And you THINK this app actually does what to be exact?

if your memory gets low, you can defrag it and recover the excess. it also allows you to manage you memory caches, cpu caches, and priority levels. really useful app :huh:

if your memory gets low, you can defrag it and recover the excess. it also allows you to manage you memory caches, cpu caches, and priority levels. really useful app :huh:

Lets see Lite's response :huh: BTW thx nsane :blink:

LemonHead2089

I run PG2, Outpost, Microsoft AntiSpyware, AnyDVD (but its hidden) and the Spyboy SD Resident

• Administrator
if your memory gets low, you can defrag it and recover the excess. it also allows you to manage you memory caches, cpu caches, and priority levels. really useful app :blink:

Now if the app only worked like that. :huh:

ALL memory "mangement" tools have negetive speed impacts.

BTW.... windows will automatically free memory if other apps need it and "defragging" memory is pointless (if it even works), as memory is quick either way.

@Chicano... what was vicious about what i said :huh:

yeah, since it has to reload some thngs that were removed from memory. but, windows sucks at memory management, my ram usually doubles after a memturbo recovery. which is good for games and what not, as all that little stuff like icons aren't needed when your pumping lead into a ped :huh:

• Administrator

Right... so download process explorer. Note the memory usage of the apps, then run your "memory optimizer" application. The memory usage doesnt change?

I didn't mean to start an arguement. Actually i agree with you both on the memturbo thing.

Lite, In my experience it actually does make the ram usage go down for inactive programs, but on the other hand if you set it to manage your program priorities it seems to slow down your ability to switch inbetween programs. I have a tendancy to manage my priorities in the task manager so I just turn that function off. But, another but, the ability to manage your windows your caches comes in handy. All in all it is a handy program to have around. :P

OK...now....

So no one actually runs the adaware adwatch

Or the spyware sweeper resident

or the window washer resident

and Lite, has the m$antispyware ever actually caught anything for you?

Right... so download process explorer. Note the memory usage of the apps, then run your "memory optimizer" application. The memory usage doesnt change?

i already have proccess explorer, great for seeing what apps are shelled by another program ;)

Before:

screen00013oe.th.png

After:

screen00028fb.th.png

Note that everything is at a better point after i scrubbed my ram :P

btw, anyone know why winamp is shelled under svchost? :D

• Administrator
i already have proccess explorer, great for seeing what apps are shelled by another program ;)

Note that everything is at a better point after i scrubbed my ram :P

15mb RAM is neglible on modern day computers. Anywho... these DO have a negetive speed impact (ie freeing resources needed by an application... takes CPU cycles to load these back up, most GOOD apps do clear allocated memory, if its not needed).

Windows 2k+ over previous windows versions handles memory MUCH better.

What you mean "better point"?

everything in the after pic is reading at a higher level than before pic ;) and i already told you i only use it for gaming and other intesive stuff. i don't use it as anything but a monitor when i'm doing basic tasks (like now) :P

Guest tensegg

protowall

nod32

sygate

thats the only 3 things have on all the time

sometimes spywareblaster, which I think is better than ad-watch,

and if I'm surfin a lot, privoxy & tor to hide behind.

oh yeah, and a massive hosts file, which works better than all the other bits )

Hi tensegg,

saw that you use tor and privoxy, i like to try but the installation and set it up with outpost and azureus is confusing...would you like to help?

thank's in advance

Guest tensegg
Hi tensegg,

saw that you use tor and privoxy, i like to try but the installation and set it up with outpost and azureus is confusing...would you like to help?

thank's in advance

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont really use azureus or outpost m8, I just use privoxy and tor thru my browser. It basically works just like any other proxy server, just without the proxy heartache, you just need to allow them in outpost, add one line to the privoxy file from tor and its done. should basically then work on all tcp connections. never failed on me yet, uses no resources, takes less than a minute to set it up, and you get a new ip every time you log on, today I a from america apparently........ :rofl:

I'll see if I can find anythin on azureus/ outpost set ups

EDIT: just tried azureus, seems to work but I'm not 100% sure :lol:, I just set it to go thru a proxy in the connections tab, host = localhost, port = 8116, no password or user name, thers also a tor check box at the bottom of that page. Downloaded a small torrent, worked no problem. :lol:

download worked fine and finished with no probs, so I'm guessing it works ok.

Thank's a lot tensegg...I was trying to get the best set up here. For the outpost i think i can handle it but for the azureus a bit difficult...i noticed slightly slower but still acceptable.

Guest tensegg

yeah, this last week its been slowing up a bit on browsing too, or maybe it's just my cheap pc :lol:

SacredCultivator

Well I don't know bout you people but I MUST have:

AIM

ProfileAMP

WinAmp

NOD32

SpywareGuard

SpySubtract

VersionCue CS2

AnyDVD

Stardock Hotkey Manager

Winamp

Trillian

ATi Catalyst Control Center (invisible tray)

And NSane, you probably installed the WinAmp agent.

Archived