MOBO died?

sanjoa

Have you checked to see if some or one of the capacitors is bloated? I've checked the model of your mobo and saw that it's still using the old type of capacitors. Just maybe some of them are bloated that's why your mobo isn't functioning. :rolleyes:

• Replies 65
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MOBO diagnosis: short circuit. So on, I'll replace it in a few days when I get paid by my boss. I'll buy an GIGABYTE GA-M68M-S2P mobo.

Hi, guys! Today I've received a new GIGABYTE GA-M68M-S2P mobo. Well, I did install everything but it didn't start working. So I double-checked power cables and suppy, unplugged all optical drives and tried again, but nothing happened. No beep from BIOS, no cooler workings. Power supply is working OK (I've tested it in other computer).

What should I do? The shop where I bought it gave me support, and after doing everything seller told me I coudn't make it work.

Hi, guys! Today I've received a new GIGABYTE GA-M68M-S2P mobo. Well, I did install everything but it didn't start working. So I double-checked power cables and suppy, unplugged all optical drives and tried again, but nothing happened. No beep from BIOS, no cooler workings. Power supply is working OK (I've tested it in other computer).

What should I do? The shop where I bought it gave me support, and after doing everything seller told me I coudn't make it work.

Pull the ram try 1 stick at a time, it doesn't look theres a bios reset so I would flush the power and pull the bios battery, then try it again.

test the on/off header on the board, I use a flat head screw driver and touch the two together sometimes the power button on the case is faulty.

It also could be they gave you 2 crap boards. :angry: I would ask them to test it for free to see if they get a post code.

Whoa! There's something more. It did start when I tested it on table. I think problem is in the case.

Whoa! There's something more. It did start when I tested it on table. I think problem is in the case.

Hi José,

Can you be more specific on how you get it to work again? I have actually encountered this problem in two laptops now :sigh:

At first, (like you) i simply tried to replace the hard drive but after i switch it, all i had was black screen and no beeping sound.

The second time, it started with an overheat problem which then caused the onboard graphics card to fail. I was able to make it work for a while by hooking it up to an ext.monitor, until the trick completely stopped. Some sites also suggest holding down the power button for about 30-60 seconds without the battery works. But was't really helpful though.

So i just gave up trying.

I took the mobo out of the case and put it on a table and connected to it the power supply with the processor, and RAM memory. It did work succesfully. Then I connected all pheripherials (HDD, floppy drive [yeah!, old but just in case I need it], card reader, CD/DVD reader/recorder) and it started working without problems. But when I installed the mobo in the case it did not started working. There's something like a shortcircuit or something similar between mobo and case.

Yikes!

I guess I should have done that. (before my dad took what's left of it and stored it with all the junks). :pos:

Anyways, thanks for the info, mate. I'm just glad i was able to salvage the hd and convert it into ext.hd. ;)

Have a nice day! :)

did you put the standoffs?

IMG_6805.jpg

I found this about your case...

Mine came with a weird grounding problem caused by the reset switch hookup (which I've solved by simply ignoring the reset button). Took me several hours of poking around to finally pinpoint the cause - grounding issues are already a huge pain, but the reset switch was pretty much the last thing on my list of things to check by the time I got down to it. Wasted a huge amount of time resetting the mobo multiple times, checking the risers, etc. The LED power and IDE access lights are quite bright, but you can tape over them pretty easily.

I'VE SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!! :dance2: I've put masking tape on the standoffs, but also I've found something on mobo: two of capacitors were not weld good and when you installed mobo on the case, the connectors "touched" case making it not work.

wVVWP.jpgMASKING TAPE

• Administrator

Ah. Glad to hear that. So then, what will you do to this MOBO now?

Now I'm using the GIGABYTE GA-M68M-S2P mobo, the one that has that problem. The ASROCK N68-S has a short circuit, so on it's on its box waiting his owner (me) to take it to an electronic technician :lol:

• Administrator

LOL. I would had really recommended Asus. :)

There's a diference between the Gigabyte mobo and an ASROCK N-68 UCC (the "evolution" of the N-68 series) of 10 u$s. Both have support for AMD SIX-CORE processors.

Archived