BSOD problem

3NIGM4

JunkInternetMail

I really hate to say this but maybe use your DELL STORE discs?

Kinda start over from scratch? Perhaps you already did that...

By any chance do you have VIRTUAL DRIVES installed like DAEMON TOOLS or ALCOHOL SOFT?

• Replies 42
  • Views 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah i have the Dell store disc with all the Bloatware and Crapware but i wont reinstall that crap that took me over a day to uninstall and over a week to tweak. I read in most forum that a complete reinstall didnt help so i wont spend time on that. I use Daemon Tools... Im gonna ask a friend (hes a comp builder) to have a look at it thing is i probably wont have a comp for like 2 weeks...

@ 3NIGM4:

good luck, let us know the outcome :)

troubleshooting is fun IMO, unless you can't pinpoint the problem, then it's a PITA :innocent:

@ JunkInternetMail:

do you think that that virtual drives are related to 3NIGM4's problem? if yes, why?

JunkInternetMail

B/c virtual drives install some serious dlls and drivers...

And I have seen them BSOD machines out of the ass...

Sometimes the wrong version of a software can and will bring down a machine...especially something like DAEMONTOOLS or ALCOHOL120.

Uninstall DAEMONTOOLS and see if your machine still BSODs...

nothing to lose ill try it. Recently i played less system hog COH game (by playing against only 2 computers) and it didnt crash couple games... Cross fingers :unsure: Ill report back

Hi, if you use Daemon Tools\Alkohol, "to remove SPTD, simply download SPTD setup file "SPTDinst-v142-x86.exe" for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista (32-bit) [780,024 bytes] and execute it.

In dialog that appears press "Uninstall" button and then SPTD will remove itself from your Windows installation.

If you want to install it again then execute the same setup file and press "Install"."

Quoting http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/faq

JunkInternetMail

Most time when DAEMONTOOLS and ALCOHOL update, you will notice in the changelog the drivers update for SPTD...

It's the core of the virtualization driver and is almost always the first thing those companies will tell you to update to the latest version of before updating their products themselves...

I really hope that you removing those tools will enable your machine to stop BSOD...

I'd like to see your machine become your bitch as all machines should fall into rank and file and do as they are goddamn well told! :P

Good luck and keep us posted!

Update : I uninstalled Daemon Tools and tried the game with some crash again. Im re-exploring the "heat theory". @ least it only happen in games :sneaky:

Ok, i did 4 new things without any significant result :

-Pop the winxp Media center in the drive and overwrite the current installation, maybe something was washed away by clean up program

-Physicaly removed the WLAN card Intel 3945ABG

-Ran Dell diagnostic before boot (battery of test all)

-Used nvidia logger to log temp of the crash and it wasnt that bad

Ill report back with some further test

Edit : find out the ULTIMATE BOOT CD TEST check it out here ULTIMATE BOOT CD <----- Nsane you might want to add this to the site's regular prog

JunkInternetMail

ULTIMATE BOOT CD + HIRENS should be on every damn tech/geek/warez site known to man...

I just wish Hiren would sell out and use up to date apps like he did in his latest version for AV+Spyware software! :)

@3NIGM4

Maybe your computer just can't handle that game?

I mean mathematical tests with software are great and everything but they can't simulate real people using the computer in a real way.

Are you putting your computer through some really rough shit just to play 1 game? Is it worth it since that's your only machine?

Quick reply- If i get an XPS 1710 its to play top games flawlessly, i like to play games and currently i cant play not just COH but Stalker, Medieval total war 2, half life 2 and so on... So yeah im gonna make this machine work. As for the stress test im gonna use Ultimate to see it thru. Bought a Duster and removed some more dust from the fans, hope it help. Ill report later on the status :) Thx for keeping comings with ideas!

• 3 weeks later...

There're so many & interesting (unique...) ways to cool down a machine, it's well worth finding cooling solutions, especially a controlled one. Shit you may have the tools already around you. (bongs):)

Goodluck with machine mate.

@ 3NIGM4: I belive I shared with JunkInternetMail in a different thread (maybe a few days after the post in here?) about an alternative to Hiren's Boot CD. It's called "Roadstarter" (look for ver. 2.0). Has Damn Small Linux, Windows XPE Live SP2, NTLDR is missing fix (well.. workaround really...) for most Windows versions, and Hirens BUILT IN. It's easily replaced Hirens for obvious reasons, but the only downside is Roadstarter has an outdated version of Hirens... Well, with decent technical know-how, its easy to replace the outdated Hirens to the newest version. You'll want to extract the ISO then later rebuild it.

Also look up Super WinPE. I've found it to be for the most part more useful than hirens in some areas, and it runs faster and has more tools than Windows XPE on Roadstarter. I believe Super WinPE was updated in the past few years to have a DVD version with a bunch of apps, but it's been a while since i looked it up. The version i've had from four years ago has been handy enough as it is, but i really ought to think about updating... wonder what goodies lay in the new version anyway ;)..

...Lastly, another good luck to you. I'm dealing with a BSOD problem myself, but I'm just going to use my backup from notron ghost.. couldnt find ANYTHING on my specific BSOD error message.... If it wern't for a few windows apps, i'd be running Fedora full time (and actually for games too. cedega and wine cover most of the games i'd ever want to play anyhow... though, hardly any time for them these days)

• 5 months later...

So its been a while,

After a couple months of suffering and testing different configuration im 90% sure that the problem is video card hardware related. Last month my comp was doing fine, i even have the chance to buy bioshock and go throught it with a single bsod. But last 2 weeks were horrible. Couldnt do much anything because i started to get some artifacts even in bootup when you see dell logo loading bios. The artifacts looks like a bunch of white lines from top to bottom. After the winxp loading screen was done the only thing i see is a black screen. I bootup in Vga mode and delete all video drivers using Your uninstaller, CCleaner, driver cleaner pro and Nasty file remover. When the computer boot with the build in vga drvier that let me get a 1600-1200 resolution with some small artifacts here and there. As soon as i try to put some video drivers in it f*ck up and goes to black screen (tho the computer still working as i can access it with a network comp)

So i put my pride aside and call the dell support. Thing is i bought that xps 1710 over ebay in june last year. The warranty is over and i cant open a new bill without transfert of ownership. And the seller is no longer on ebay and his email isnt working. To get my computer fixed i have to send it back and buy a warranty but i cant since the computer is not under my name lol Today i chatted with customer support and they told me to use the transfert form over ther support page at ther website and its gonna take up to a month for them to check things out lol

Now im planning to get to China for 2 weeks and im gonna leave my comp to one of my friends who can call replacement parts from dell and hes gonna change the card himself and check if its working. If the changing the card is working may ill try to upgrade to a 7950 instead of putting back a 7900 but that may push the luck...

Over all, i shouldve listen to myself and wait to buy an Alienware. At the end of last year dell bought Alienware and its now possible to buy within canada without payin 750$ in shipping, insurance and tax. So i might keep an eye on that too.

Any i let you know whats the outcomme of this saga ;)

• 1 month later...

So its been about 8 month and i finally resolved my problem. I manage to change my computer ownership (from an ebay user) to me and get a bill open. Then i called tech support to get a Dell tech opinion so if the problem is not my video card i can return it easier. So now i changed my video card from a 7900gtx to a 7950 gtx and it looks like its working fine. Hopefully it will not crash anymore. Thx got i got graphics, now if only i had broadband...

• 7 months later...

Still stable and i got broadband now :P So case is closed. So 2 conclusions, the most likely one is hardware failure, but maybe it didnt help testing beta drivers :sneaky:

Archived