New Members Read more... ×
mara-

IP Filter Downloader

LeetPirate

I read before that the IP Filter does more harm than good, I wouldn't know but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it.

Nah it does more good than harm. With zero IP filters a person might think their downloads are working faster due to the client connecting to more IPs but the majority of the parts downloaded from those IPs result in hash fails and the same data has to be downloaded again. The IPfilter concept helps you connect to only legitimate sources. Now to be honest that's based on the effectiveness of the process used to generate the list of banned IPs in the Ipfilter.dat file itself. I have no idea how they gather the banned IPs but I guess there is always a possibility of having false positives in there. A chance I am willing to take, everyone will have their own decision to make. What I suggest is that you check your bigger torrent files and see how many hash fails you get on the general tab, make sure you have no IP filters loaded so check uTorrent log tab , you can determine for yourself.

DKT27

The only problem I'm having is that the IPFilter.dat doesn't seemed to be updated from ages. :(

I've tried so hard to get the IPs in the links that Peerblock/others use to convert it to .dat file. But no avail. :sadwalk:

RobrPatty

I have to open filter file with notepad and delete a few ips. Other than that it's efficent for my needs.

RadioActive

I can't give you any special info regarding that. I can only say that I'm using it, and everything works just fine.

Cheers ;)

I read before that the IP Filter does more harm than good, I wouldn't know but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it.

Nah it does more good than harm. With zero IP filters a person might think their downloads are working faster due to the client connecting to more IPs but the majority of the parts downloaded from those IPs result in hash fails and the same data has to be downloaded again. The IPfilter concept helps you connect to only legitimate sources. Now to be honest that's based on the effectiveness of the process used to generate the list of banned IPs in the Ipfilter.dat file itself. I have no idea how they gather the banned IPs but I guess there is always a possibility of having false positives in there. A chance I am willing to take, everyone will have their own decision to make. What I suggest is that you check your bigger torrent files and see how many hash fails you get on the general tab, make sure you have no IP filters loaded so check uTorrent log tab , you can determine for yourself.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. Will give it a try again and keep an eye on the hash fails and see.

Kojootti

Thanks Mara for this! :)

freeworld

Nice, thank you for this:thumbsup:

hannubys

This is a great tool mara. Thanks so much.

I have a suggestion for your next release. Add command line support, this way i can just run it from command line once a week in my task scheduler.

Also this link update more often http://emulepawcio.s...es/ipfilter.zip

Edited by LeetPirate
back to back posts merged.

spootnack

Hello.

Some questions...

1) How to use this "IP Filter" (with uTorrent) ?

2) What is the differences between this and a soft like Peerblock ?

Thanks.

++

Edited by spootnack

HX1

There is a setting in Advanced > ipfilter.enable .. I think by default this is turned on bu tit could be set to False.. Has to be on.. The IPFilter Downloader downloads the lat recent version of the IpFilter and puts it n the folder for you to be used by uT to filter traffic by way of this filter..

Just like PeerBlock or PeerGuardian ( old ) would do.. However PB has the ability to configure the types of lists you want to use and cover more territory.. The big thing for me is that I don't just use PB to block one programs traffic.. I do it system wide.. so PB is a better solution for being able to add exception where needed.. create your own custom lists.. also is looking at your logging for the whole system.. IPs and resolved to... plus you can choose what not to have blocked and what to have blocked .. and even extend these list thourgh iBlocklist.org .. wish I had a subscprition so I could get the subscriber lists.. would be cool.. but regardless this is the differences in the two of them..

One is basic and downloads one use specific list that ( I don't know now. ) is not updated very often.. The other is a system wide solution which will cover everything.. and allow for a wider range of features..

spootnack

OK thank you.

I remember few months ago we talked about if peerblock was really useful against companies that are struggling against P2P networks and so on...(there was a link with a debate about this)

Do you think IPfilter / Peerblock are really usefull against them ?

And do you think if to use IPfilter + Peerblock is like a "double protection", and if slows the internet traffic ?? Do you know a tool to test this ?

Edited by spootnack

DKT27

I have myself faced a bit slowdowns in the connection when using Peerblock. That's why I only use the IP Filter Downloader. But, if you have a good connections, both of them are recommended.

HX1

Using them both together is over doing it and causing more load to your system to filter traffic.. good valid traffic is slowed down by having to still pass through all of these filters... Therefore I would suggest keeping a small and minimal Hosts File.. and using only PeerBlock.. ALSO.. if you have several list like I do.. you will notice in logging that in fact valid IPS and polling that goes on between you and your DNS Server, Your Router, and Your Home network addresses.. are blocked by default.. This is good because you can choose to traffic shape in a way that will still keep your network safe from people possibly hacking your wireless.. or unknown systems acting as they are to exploit various means or getting into your network.. SO proper assessment of your own network and what you know about it would be crucial with some watching of the log to under normal usage to insure that you 'Allow Permanently ' those IPS and calls to your router, other devices that are network connected and/or services.. and to allow your connections to go through ( in my case ) DFN Verein ( something like that ).. when first disabled it seems faster but after an IP change or reboot its slower..

There needs to be these items so that filtering can be done correctly and PeerBlock can be used to traffic shape appropriately.. and you do have to make adjustments after ward.. One more I just remembered is 0.0.0.0:68 sends packets back forth to your router shows as Invalid IPS.. Another one that may throw you a little is Computer Sciences Corp.. which is OpenDNS.. and related to ISP/DNS.. Last but not least is IANA Reserved for private use FNLC... which included 255.255.255.255... mine renders good speed.. on a crappy system and still protects me..I use thirteen lists and I block over 1,691,328,061 IP's at the moment...

If in fact you block these IPS and ranges that I am speaking of you will notice slow downs.. your system is able to get basic information when it boots up.. through DNS.. and to/from your router... Then you start up PeerBlock.. or it starts afterward.. and these items start being blocked.. so while it has and can use older information and other means in a round about fashion... it isn't making the connections it needs to facilitate faster browser speed and reaction times.. as well as it may run into some issues on down the line with possible drop outs.. depending on your ISP and rules/guidelines/ if your lucky... or not..

SO.. end point.. you should be able to watch it closely.. ( without tarting up Vidalia or uT or P2P or any other client sending ton of requests ) .. and be able to find these and add them in to your ALLOW list, as needed for your individual setup/requirements...

Best advice I have on it.. AND you should be sure to tweak in your router and other area as well to render as best results as possible.. and while some kill the DNS Client service in WIndows I use it.. just as to what I am running with good results.. OpenDNS of course.. using the updater and Dashboard features which include some neat Beta Cache features.. Few tweaks .. but none of the heavier filtering they offer.. I think I do have one but its the lowest one there.. cFos..

EDIT: Oh and BTW if its slowing down your traffic you will be able to notice when comparing cold browser start and an empty cache load in exact conditions presented.. load times/response times/ and page load performance.. unless you have tweaked the paint delay .. in which it may be a little harder.. but one that will wait for page load will show some hardcore differences..

EDIT2: The one thing that used to make me wonder about the IPFilter was if it was blocking n another protocol level that PB or PG2 was not.. but I think someone correct me if I am wrong .. there is not any difference in this between the two..

Edited by heath28m

spootnack

Ok. Thanks.

I'll do some tests about slowdown.

Will try both IP Filter and Peerblock and see the result. I think Peerblock is stable now. Hope that really protect us against P2P or others bad IPs....

++

HX1

.. well I will say that this is another good reason to have thorough security.. and cover the bases.. BUT in the end... really its all you can do.. Besides blacklisting them in your Firewall.. and even at that you have other exploitations..

For the lists.. ( just for w/e purposes ) I use..All fur default lists ...Tor( Onion Router ), Wireless, Hijacked, Levels 2&3, Proxy, Web Exploit and IPFilterX ( Nexus 23 )... There is one list I really want.. at the top of the iBlocklist List on the page.. bet you can't figure out which one it is.. but I would like to have it.. in conjunction with or replacing a couple of these...

PeerBlock has been stable for quite awhile there were a few differences between PG2 and PB at first and a few issues but I haven't looked back since..though I was back and forth in the beginning..

Edited by heath28m

steinom

Have been using this IPfilter the last four-five years or so, update DB two times a week.

It's a great tool :P

mara-

Have been using this IPfilter the last four-five years or so, update DB two times a week.

It's a great tool :P

I'm glad you like it.

Cheers ;)

allqpwo

Thank you very much for this!

Its a great tool for a paranoid and at the same time lazy user like me ;P

A question though (a little offtopic maybe): Are there any statistics, like how much protection does the list really offer?

demoneye

nice tool mara :D

but now i dont know which tool to use since Nexus 23 list became PAID one , yours or peer block ?

i mean the ip.dat from mara list came or based on what ?

cheers

DKT27

nice tool mara :D

but now i dont know which tool to use since Nexus 23 list became PAID one , yours or peer block ?

i mean the ip.dat from mara list came or based on what ?

cheers

You can even use both. IP Filter Downloader and Peerblock. ipfilter.dat will integrate with uTorrent (uTorrent's build in blocker) and Peerblock is a standalone application that will block IPs from it's side. I personally use both of them. :)

demoneye

10x dk bro , what i just wounder who stand behind the ip list which mara tool download its data ?? can we trust the list to be reliable and optimized ?

LeetPirate

10x dk bro , what i just wounder who stand behind the ip list which mara tool download its data ?? can we trust the list to be reliable and optimized ?

The default IP filter is Ozzy's ipfilter which is the same one affiliated with the ScarAngel emule mod. It is very popular but I don't have any info about how they gather the list, quite the same even for peerblock, nobody knows where/how they come up with the list.

mara's program just makes it convenient to download the list, you can manually paste in any url for any list you want if you don't like Ozzy's list.

demoneye

The default IP filter is Ozzy's ipfilter which is the same one affiliated with the ScarAngel emule mod. It is very popular but I don't have any info about how they gather the list, quite the same even for peerblock, nobody knows where/how they come up with the list.

mara's program just makes it convenient to download the list, you can manually paste in any url for any list you want if you don't like Ozzy's list.

10x for the info LeetPirate :D

does Ozzy's ipfilter got any web site which support / discuss its list? \

cheers ;)