New Members Read more... ×
mara-

IP Filter Downloader

mara-

I have some feedback though. After the tool finished downloading, there was a little pause and I almost quit the program. I didn't know there was an upcoming extraction phase before the tool was finally finished.

Do you know what was written in status bar? And, you couldn't close program normally until it finishes the task. You could only use task manager to close it.

Cheers ;)

Night Owl

I have some feedback though. After the tool finished downloading, there was a little pause and I almost quit the program. I didn't know there was an upcoming extraction phase before the tool was finally finished.

Do you know what was written in status bar? And, you couldn't close program normally until it finishes the task. You could only use task manager to close it.

Cheers ;)

Yes, the status bar said, 'Status: Download completed'. That's why I thought the tool was finished. No, that is not correct to say you can close the program normally. There is no normal termination from the program. Even when the status bar says 'Status: Finished' there is still no normal termination. The Download button is displayed to the right of the status. One way or another, you have to end the tool by clicking the red X (or using task manager).

Once the tool has finished, it would be best to change the Download button to an Exit button. The design now is to never end until brute-forced terminated by the user:

Posted Image

mara-

When I said normal, I meant on clicking on X. Not normal is when you use task manager. Now, even if you pressed X tool would not exit until task is completed. Anyway, it will be faster in next version.

Cheers ;)

jtmulc

AVG says it has a virus.

Bizarre™

@jtmulc:

Obviously a false positive ^_^

File Info

Report date: 2010-07-28 06:16:00 (GMT 1)

File name: IP_Filter_Downloader.exe

File size: 1314029 bytes

MD5 Hash: fa218a23778d47281462b886bfb788c9

SHA1 Hash: 46aef7d7b1ba6bb87e3fe5832557fd4e2758f881

Detection rate: 2 on 13 (15%)

Detections

a-squared -

Avast -

AVG - Packed.AutoIt

Avira AntiVir -

BitDefender -

ClamAV -

Comodo -

Dr.Web -

Ikarus T3 -

Panda -

TrendMicro -

VBA32 - Trojan.Autoit.F

VirusBuster -

Scan report generated by

NoVirusThanks.org

mara-

False positive as always, when something is created with AutoIt.

Cheers ;)

espadastark

utorrent filter list

OK, thank you, but it serves for what? I mean, what is the purpose?

Read more here.

Cheers ;)

Oh, now I understand. Well, i've never got a problem with so much wasted data, so i think this is not my case.

how is this different from PeerBlock? Which do you think performs better? And you still need another third party application to update its database?!

LeetPirate

Peerblock blocks all your programs from contacting their list of fake IPs. If you use multiple p2p programs the easiest way is to use peerblock to global block everything fake.

Superior programs like uTorrent and eMule have native capabilities to read ipfilter.dat files and this is the most elegant way to use the ipfilter feature. It won't get any lighter and faster than this, Peerblock uses resources of its own, this IP filter downloader just downloads a list into the uTorrent application data directory. The lists on the server probably gets updated every few weeks so you could run this IP filter downloaded about once per month and you will be ok.

This way performs much better because uTorrent already knows not to waste time trying to contact any IP on the list, whereas if you use PeerBlock, uTorrent will still waste time trying to contact the fake IP and it will timeout and disconnect since PeerBlock would be blocking the connection globally.

Night Owl

When I said normal, I meant on clicking on X. Not normal is when you use task manager. Now, even if you pressed X tool would not exit until task is completed. Anyway, it will be faster in next version.

Cheers ;)

Version 1.1 is up.

Cheers ;)

Yes, it's working faster in version 1.1.

By the way, the original post now says the initial release is "Version 1.1 [Date: 07/25/2010]" but it should read version 1.0.

mara-

By the way, the original post now says the initial release is "Version 1.1 [Date: 07/25/2010]" but it should read version 1.0.

Fixed.

Cheers ;)

ugatme

Sorry mara- another question, I ran v1.1 over v1.0, restarted utorrent and it shows the same number of entries 326553, is that ok?

[2010-07-29 06:08:22] Loaded ipfilter.dat (326553 entries)

Edited by ugatme

espadastark

Peerblock blocks all your programs from contacting their list of fake IPs. If you use multiple p2p programs the easiest way is to use peerblock to global block everything fake.

Superior programs like uTorrent and eMule have native capabilities to read ipfilter.dat files and this is the most elegant way to use the ipfilter feature. It won't get any lighter and faster than this, Peerblock uses resources of its own, this IP filter downloader just downloads a list into the uTorrent application data directory. The lists on the server probably gets updated every few weeks so you could run this IP filter downloaded about once per month and you will be ok.

This way performs much better because uTorrent already knows not to waste time trying to contact any IP on the list, whereas if you use PeerBlock, uTorrent will still waste time trying to contact the fake IP and it will timeout and disconnect since PeerBlock would be blocking the connection globally.

thanks for the enlightment. now i know. :)

espadastark

ok now, im skeptic about using this one.

1. I downloaded the link given on the first post.

2. In the IP FIlter Downloader Folder, theres an IP filter Downloader exe file. I double clicked it. Then the downlad proceeds. After downloading, the status: Finished. Then i closed it.

Whats next? Dunno what to do. How do i use this in utorrent? I didnt see any ipfilter.dat file in the folder. Please help.

Edited by espadastark

Night Owl

2. In the IP FIlter Downloader Folder, theres an IP filter Downloader exe file. I double clicked it. Then the downlad proceeds. After downloading, the status: Finished. Then i closed it.

Whats next? Dunno what to do. How do i use this in utorrent? I didnt see any ipfilter.dat file in the folder. Please help.

You should see file ipfilter.dat in your %APPDATA%\uTorrent folder (i.e. C:\Users\YOUR_ID\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent). To check that uTorrent will use the file, start uTorrent, select Options -> Preferences -> Advanced. Scroll down and you should see that "ipfilter.enable" is already set to true. That's it, you're done. Enjoy uTorrent. :D

mara-

Sorry mara- another question, I ran v1.1 over v1.0, restarted utorrent and it shows the same number of entries 326553, is that ok?

[2010-07-29 06:08:22] Loaded ipfilter.dat (326553 entries)

Yes, it's OK. I don't know how often database is updated. Since number of entries is the same, then same database was downloaded again.

@espadastark

If you used uTorrent path then you should be fine. Also check what Night Owl said. You can verify in uTorrent log if database is loaded.

Cheers ;)

espadastark

You should see file ipfilter.dat in your %APPDATA%\uTorrent folder (i.e. C:\Users\YOUR_ID\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent). To check that uTorrent will use the file, start uTorrent, select Options -> Preferences -> Advanced. Scroll down and you should see that "ipfilter.enable" is already set to true. That's it, you're done. Enjoy uTorrent. :D

@night owl and mara! Thanks alot! Understood now!

sangean

It would be good if it did a silent update automatically in the background once or twice a month.

Night Owl

It would be good if it did a silent update automatically in the background once or twice a month.

If it did a download right away then it could be scheduled with Task Scheduler. But now it requires the Download button to be manually clicked. Maybe this could be modified in the future?

slv

two quick questions and im sorry if i missed any info stating it or if already asked. 1st, is there a benefit to using the scarangel list over the emulepawcio or whatever its called (different list maintained by different persons?) and secondly, does this just use wget or the likes to batch the download and unrar to defined location? its a very straightforward program and i thank you for making it! :rockon:

mara-

Well, I don't know which list is better, but if we look at size, scarangel list is bigger so it should contain bigger database. This program is created with AutoIt so it uses it's inbuilt functions for download. File is extracted with 7-zip which is included in the tool.

Cheers ;)

slv

Well, I don't know which list is better, but if we look at size, scarangel list is bigger so it should contain bigger database. This program is created with AutoIt so it uses it's inbuilt functions for download. File is extracted with 7-zip which is included in the tool.

Cheers ;)

thanks much for the info!

RadioActive

I read before that the IP Filter does more harm than good, I wouldn't know but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it.

mara-

I can't give you any special info regarding that. I can only say that I'm using it, and everything works just fine.

Cheers ;)