iOS 4.0.1 for iPhone, 3.2.1 for iPad released

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

image-92E1_4C3F9528.jpg

image-AA06_4C3F9528.jpg

iOS 4.0.1 for iPhone and iOS 3.2.1 for iPad are rolling out to devices right now. iTunes has been prompting users to update to the latest iteration of their mobile operating system. Although not a fully fledged 4.1 release that is expected later this quarter, this incremental release should solve some of the ongoing issues plaguing users of iOS 4.0. This "incremental" update is reportedly clocking in at 579MB, which is very large for a minor release.

Users are reporting that the signal strength indicator fix found in iOS 4.1 beta are suggesting that the fix doesn't actually affect signal strength, only the visual "bar" indicators on the screen. Tomorrow's press conference should hopefully address iPhone signal issues.

Engadget has provided a screenshot of the new signal bars, the new longer bars are quite clear.

image-477E_4C3F9528.jpg

Apple's iPad update has also been released, addressing a number of issues including the ever-present Wi-Fi connectivity problems:

- Improved Wi-Fi connectivity

- Fixed an issue that could prevent copy and paste of single-page PDF attachments in Mail

- Addressed an issue that could cause video playback to freeze

- Improved reliability of video-out when using iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter

- Added Bing as an option for Safari's search field

If you would prefer to grab the update direct from Apple rather than through iTunes, here are the links:

iPhone 4

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 3G

3.2.1 for iPad

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 1
  • Views 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nsane.forums

Users report installation problems and dropped calls

Apple iPhone users who have downloaded the iOS 4.1 update released yesterday are experiencing a number of issues, including error messages during installation and in some cases even worse reception than before.

The Apple Forum has been inundated with complaints of an 'error nine' message which indicates that the device is disconnected from the USB port even though they have not disconnected the device.

"Same problem here with the 'nine' error. I've tried restoring about 15 times so far on two different computers (one Mac, one Windows 7), using two different USB cables and downloaded the update file multiple times," one user wrote.

"I've reinstalled iTunes on both machines, rebooted both computers, and tried some of the other tips and tricks people have mentioned on the forums. Nothing's working [and I'm] waiting anxiously for some answers here."

Another frustrated user recommended holding off on upgrading to iOS 4.1, adding that this is "another black eye for Apple".

Some iPhone owners have speculated that Apple is having server problems. V3.co.uk contacted the company to discuss this, but had not received a reply at the time of writing.

Not all users have had problems updating, according to the forums, but continue to be plagued by reception issues.

"I was just trying to talk to my girlfriend on my drive home and the call dropped four times," one user said. "I finally pulled off and tried talking to her with my phone laying still and on speakerphone and with five bars and 3G showing and it dropped the call three more times. This never happened until the 4.0.1 update."

This could mean that iOS 4.1 may have some sort of bug which causes a separate calling problem.

New York senator Charles Schumer, meanwhile, has written an open letter to Steve Jobs describing Apple's proposed remedies, which include telling customers to hold the device in a certain way or buy a cover, as insufficient. A permanent fix should be provided at no additional charge to customers, he maintains.

V3.co.uk will be covering Apple's emergency press conference, scheduled to start at 6pm BST today. We will also be attempting to update our iPhone 4 handset to the latest OS version, to see if we experience any of the above issues.

It remains to be seen how the company will resolve the antenna issue once and for all. Apple could provide all customers with a complimentary cover, or issue a recall.

view.gif View: Original Article

Archived