ShutDown Laggage/ Defragment

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Hmm... I not sure but recently... Whenever I shutdown/Restart my computer it takes eternity (about 5 minutes)... And that is just not right... And I am not really sure what I did to cause the problem... And I don't know if a HiJackThis Log would help in anyway... But if it does let me know and I will post one...

If any other info is needed do let me know..

Thanks.

Also... I can't seem to use the BuiltIn Defragmentor for WinXP PRo.... Whenever I try to Analyze/Defragment... It just does nothing... When I click on either option it loads for a milisecond and than acts as if I never clicked it.. Aside from that.. Is there a substitute I can use to Defragment? I need to do that soon been overloading comp with things and deleting them...

Thanks again.

• Replies 46
  • Views 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SacredCultivator

As a matter of fact I did... WHen I used to use System Mechanic... Since it coems with it as a Suite.... Why?

Well, when i had Kaspersky Antivirus installed, the minute it was installed, the same problems you are having happened to me. Sorry, but your going to have to reformat to fix.

SacredCultivator

Hmmm but when I had it first installed.. My ShutDown was normal... So I not really sure if it was really the same problem as yours...

Do you have Norton GoBack installed...Woah I remember

when I installed that junk, my computer wouldn shut down

I had to hold the buttom in my computer for 5 seconds every

time in order for it to shut down and it would also take long

to start up.

PerfectDisk is a great defrag program. It also has the ability to do offline defrag which makes ur boot time a lot faster. Works like BootVis if you ever tried that. :)

SacredCultivator

Nope... I never had anythign Norton Affiliated installed on my system...

erRor67- I'll give that a try... But for that program is that better than.. umm what is taht program called... DiskKeeper?

as far as i know, diskkeeper doesnt do the offline defrag inorder to speed up boot time. And thats probably what u need the most.

SacredCultivator

Hmmm so if I want that Boot thingy.. I have to run an Offline Defrag?

Also my Boot Up time is normal, it is my ShutDown that is messe dup..

Yeah, just install PerfectDisk and run it. Its basically automatic. Theres quite a few types of defrags. From a quick one to a more extensive scan. Then, like i said, you got the offline defrag which basically defrags ur comp before windows is loaded. Its pretty neat. I dont know if it wll help for shutdown. But meh, defrags help the computer all around. Period. :)

If anyone finds a soulution to the slow shutdown, please dont heasitate to reply here. i'm also having this problem and dont want to reformat again.

Guest Cr4zyJ

This seems like an appropriate place to ask about memturbo v3.0 on the applications being passworded :hypocrite: ne one have any idea what it is?

Guest Ambrocious
Hmm... I not sure but recently... Whenever I shutdown/Restart my computer it takes eternity (about 5 minutes)... And that is just not right... And I am not really sure what I did to cause the problem... And I don't know if a HiJackThis Log would help in anyway... But if it does let me know and I will post one...

Thanks.

Also... I can't seem to use the BuiltIn Defragmentor for WinXP PRo.... Whenever I try to Analyze/Defragment... It just does nothing... When I click on either option it loads for a milisecond and than acts as if I never clicked it.. Aside from that.. Is there a substitute I can use to Defragment? I need to do that soon been overloading comp with things and deleting them...

Thanks again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got a pretty good program for you and it might just help out a lot! Here is the link to it.

http://www.acelogix.com/downloads/tnt.exe

This program lets you tweak and tune your settings so you can have your computer working for you not you working for your computer. I also would like to point out this defragmentor here:

http://www.kostolomac.org/fosi/cgi-bin/fosi.cgi?dpp

Hope this helps.

Guest Hocus

Thanks.

Thanks again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have You ever thought about removing the swap file or (pagefile) ?

read this article about pagefile:

"A swap file (or swap space or, in Windows NT, a pagefile) is a space on a hard disk used as the virtual memory extension of a computer's real memory (RAM). Having a swap file allows your computer's operating system to pretend that you have more RAM than you actually do. The least recently used files in RAM can be "swapped out" to your hard disk until they are needed later so that new files can be "swapped in" to RAM."

If you want to speed up your shutdown/restart activities, ONLY for people with 512MB+ RAM , follow these steps:

For all of you with 512 MB RAM or more, here's my advice.. get rid of that swap file! You will be surprised that Windows XP will run fine without it once you have the RAM available.

If you do not feel comfortable with going without a swap file, then set it to a minimum of 50 MB. To do this, Right-click on the My Computer Icon on your desktop, then select Properties. Click Advanced, then Settings, Then Advanced.

In the section describing virtual memory, click the CHANGE button, then select NO PAGING FILE if you want no swap file.. or CUSTOM SIZE if you want to start at 50 MB.

This will not only improve system performance, but you will be amazed as to how fast your system will run.

Dont try it if you have any lower than 512 MB of Physical RAM , i have 1.0 GB of RAM in my machine.

hope this can be useful for all of you...

• Administrator

Eeek!

Disabling your page file is a HUGE risk. Many apps (esp games) depend on page file and certain apps (ie photoshop) are VERY memory intensive.

512MB physical memory for this purpose really isnt much... nor is 1gb....

FYI.... i have 1GB RAM too..... i still NEED page file sometimes, as my phyiscal memory is virtually maxed out...

Guest Hocus

yeah, thats right, it is risky and some programs will still depend on it,

but as the matter of speeding up your shutdown and/or restart, it helps big time...

got a better idea LOL , switch back to the old & simple win 98 SE .

SacredCultivator

Well I tried that No Paging thing but rather then have none I just set to 50 as I also have 1GB DDR RAM... But yeah it doens't really help with my ShutDown time =/. I guess Snake is right and the only 'cure' is to reformat... Bleh I too lazy to do that.. But thanks everyone for your input.

I may know what the problem is. It maybe an antivirus set to scan at shutdown. Check your antivirus settings and then disable scan at shutdown. I had scan at shutdown on in NOD32 and i just disabled it and no more long shutdowns!

Archived