Microsoft to Adopt XML Formats in Office 12

D0GG

Microsoft said it will use XML technology as the default file formats for the next version of its productivity software, Office 12.

Called Microsoft Office Open XML Formats, they will become the defaults for Redmond's revamped Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications, slated to appear in the second half of 2006.

The software giant said in a statement the file formats will ensure greater data recovery, which includes the ability to use the undamaged parts of a file when only one component is corrupted. Fixes can also easily be made to the damaged file portion.

The Open XML formats will also boost security. Now, files with hazardous code can be more quickly pinpointed and stopped from executing. XML formats also pare file sizes to trim storage costs.

Greater interoperability in Open XML Formats will also allow Office applications to access data stored in systems outside those applications.

The formats will improve the sharing of information for collaborative projects and augment corporate workflows. The new file formats will help applications access documents and spreadsheets without manual entry, boosting worker productivity.

Moreover, the formats come with a royalty-free license, meaning any developer can integrate them with their tools without paying Microsoft.

The move hardly comes as a surprise. Microsoft has championed XML in Office since 2000 within the HTML file formats supported by Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Over the years, it has extended its support for XML in Office XP, Office 2003 and Office InfoPath 2003.

XML is becoming the preferred language for tagging structured data that can be read by computers and acted upon on the fly. This is crucial for back-end database software, which reads and executes structured information. Microsoft, Oracle and IBM are all making XML an integral part of their database software to varying degrees.

XML is also a dominate force on the front end. Many Web services (define) software vendors are using XML because of its facility to automate the exchange of information and applications across a variety of networks and disparate infrastructures.

According to researcher Gartner, 86 percent of businesses that are using or planning to use a systems integrator through the beginning of 2004 for a Web services solution will use XML. Gartner also said 40 percent of knowledge workers will use XML-aware content-creation tools by 2007.

Microsoft said in a statement it plans to discuss details about the new XML file formats at the Microsoft Tech*Ed 2005 show next week in Orlando, Fla.

Microsoft will eventually provide draft versions of the schemas. Those interested in the new file formats and the next version of Office can get additional information at here beginning Monday, June 6, to coincide with the start of Tech*Ed.

The file formats are the next leg of Microsoft's journey to greater interoperability to Office, which Microsoft Chief Software Architect Bill Gates discussed at the Microsoft CEO Summit two weeks ago.

Source

• Replies 1
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fugu

u are good!

[Edit] As much as I love your pictures, and believe me I do, they're not exactly fitting for a news article now are they ;) May I add that users are allowed a sig in their posts, and can be changed in 'My Contols' up top. Please read the Forum Rules as they contain the dimensions we allow. No tabloid sized Asian chicks please. That's for my Inbox ;) Samurai

Oh, one more thing... I've noticed you double posting in several threads now. If this is in error contact one of the moderating team and we'll see if we can fix it. If it's non-accidental, don't do it again or I'll send the Yakuza to your door :P

Archived