Memory Usage

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

I just reformatted my computer... and noticed that when I check my processes in Ctrl+Alt+Delete.... System Idle Process uses up 90-99% of the CPU... Is that normal? If so then sorry, just that it seems strange like that...

• Replies 12
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

System Idle Process eh!

Yea it's normal :unsure:

Idle means something is not running, i.e your system. You want that as high as possible as it means your CPU isn't under strain :think:

Wish I could have a system thats has 90-99% System Idle Proces when a game of Doom is running :unsure:

actually, you wouldn't. samurai was some what right, but a little wrong...

the system idle process is pretty much a small defrag program. it just sits in memory and when nothing is running it defrags some of your more commonly used apps, ie. the name "system idle". win98/me used to have a similar process, but it was only ran at startup, then closed :huh:

so, basicly, you'd be playing doom in the middle of a defrag if that was the case :unsure:

System Idle Process - System Idle Process - Process Information

Process File: System Idle Process or System Idle Process

Process Name: System Idle Counter

Description:

the System Idle Process is not a process, more a counter which is displayed in WinTasks used for measuring how much idle time the CPU is having at any particular time. This counter will display how much CPU Resources, as a percentage are 'idle' and available for use. Cannot be killed..........

An option in the Windows XP Task Manager that indicates what percentage of time the CPU is currently doing nothing but waiting for work. If no applications are running that the user is aware of (although there may always be some tasks running in the background), the percentage can be in the high 90s.

• Administrator
the system idle process is pretty much a small defrag program. it just sits in memory and when nothing is running it defrags some of your more commonly used apps, ie. the name "system idle".

:unsure:

Naaa.... System Idle Process proforms HLT commands on your CPU.

so, what, it's basicly what makes my CPU temp drop to like 13 degrees when in idle? :unsure:

• Administrator

13 degrees?!

You have a bug of some sort :unsure: . I doubt your room temp is lower than 13c for your CPU to be 13c :huh:

Win9x never proformed the HLT commands AFAIK.

• Administrator

35c is prolly your mobo temp.... seems about right.

But 12c is messed up :unsure: . Check your temps in your bios.

Theres a square 50c.... maybe thats your CPU? :huh:

1.3 = Voltage

35 = HDD

12 = CPU

50 = MOBO

my bios is reading ~40 for my CPU. but, that's the samething that said i was running at 60c when i OCed my CPU. but, i had no errors during benchmarking, so, it was obviously wrong :unsure:

edit: everything's showing up as the right hardware, so, i don't think it's mis-reading it...

• Administrator

Errm... your mobo temp is crazy high if its 50c :unsure:

Your CPU temp shown in BIOS is much more accurate prolly.... get its prolly still off.

1.3 = Voltage

35 = HDD

12 = CPU

50 = MOBO

my bios is reading ~40 for my CPU. but, that's the samething that said i was running at 60c when i OCed my CPU. but, i had no errors during benchmarking, so, it was obviously wrong :huh:

edit: everything's showing up as the right hardware, so, i don't think it's mis-reading it...

12 = CPU :P

Unless u have ur CPU in a freezer I think that number is hard to attain...

CPU temp always starts from room temp to somewhere around 50 degrees to 60 degrees........

50 = MOBO :unsure: again....

Y would ur CPU be at 12 degrees and MOBO be at 50 degrees ?

Archived