[ Suggest ]Computer Config. for Photoshop n Vector works

Glaxi

k.. pals, this is my 1st topic in this forum.. :)

i knw abt my bad english n Computer hardware knowledge n language.. :D

im planning to give an gift to my friend, who is an graphic designer..

n i thought tat as i can present him with an brand new CPU,

tats y i want some suggestions fr an best CPU for him with in the range of 350$

at present he is using this config.

core 2 duo 2.2 GHZ

2 GB ram

500 GB HD

gigabyte 945 Board

LG 17" Monitor

r else, is ter any way to upgrade the present config..??

all tat is, some time he experience freeze in software, n he wants to get rid of tat [most of his work file size exceeds 750MB - 2GB]

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

k.. pals, this is my 1st topic in this forum.. :)

i knw abt my bad english n Computer hardware knowledge n language.. :D

im planning to give an gift to my friend, who is an graphic designer..

n i thought tat as i can present him with an brand new CPU,

tats y i want some suggestions fr an best CPU for him with in the range of 350$

at present he is using this config.

core 2 duo 2.2 GHZ

2 GB ram

500 GB HD

gigabyte 945 Board

LG 17" Monitor

r else, is ter any way to upgrade the present config..??

all tat is, some time he experience freeze in software, n he wants to get rid of tat [most of his work file size exceeds 750MB - 2GB]

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

note: prices are in Canadian dollars, if US it would be less than $199.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115131

so i should have to just upgrade the processor right..??

how about an graphic card..??

so i should have to just upgrade the processor right..??

how about an graphic card..??

Note: prices are NOW in U.S dollars to avoid confusion

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115131

b4 i choose a graphics card for your friend. i have to ask for that $350 price range ur talking about does that include both GPrahics card + CPU?

or CPU has to be in the range of $350? and graphics card could be in separate price? like $200 - $350 (U.S) ?

Would also be good to know which GPU (Graphics card) he has now ;)

You need lots of ram (atleast 4GB) and you should use the 64bit versions of those programs on a 64bit OS. Newer versions of photoshop use GPU acceleration for certain things so a compatible video card will help. As for CPU you might as well buy an i3 or i5, even if it is a dual core with hyperthreading they usually outperform previous generation quads in these types of benchmarks.

32bit Adobe programs have problems handling more than 2GB of data so 64bit is highly recommended. You should check Adobe's website or elsewhere for a list of video cards that they support.

@ oZ.

or CPU has to be in the range of $350? and graphics card could be in separate price? like $200 - $350 (U.S) ?

yea, suggest me an Graphic card for separate price..

@ shought

Would also be good to know which GPU (Graphics card) he has now

at present he is not using any GPU..

@LeetPirate

You need lots of ram (atleast 4GB) and you should use the 64bit versions of those programs on a 64bit OS. Newer versions of photoshop use GPU acceleration for certain things so a compatible video card will help. As for CPU you might as well buy an i3 or i5, even if it is a dual core with hyperthreading they usually outperform previous generation quads in these types of benchmarks.

32bit Adobe programs have problems handling more than 2GB of data so 64bit is highly recommended. You should check Adobe's website or elsewhere for a list of video cards that they support.

i hadn't tested an 64 bit OS n applications yet, let me have an look at that..

can i use an 64 bit version OS on this processor..??

@ shought

Would also be good to know which GPU (Graphics card) he has now

at present he is not using any GPU..

Hmmm, I wonder how that works... Does he have the computer hooked up to his brains? :rolleyes:

Maybe he is not using a 'stand-alone' GPU, but a GPU which is integrated in his motherboard (on-board), but he is definitely using a GPU ;) (Without a GPU you have no visual output)

If you're sure he's not using a 'stand-alone' GPU then I'll assume he's using the GPU on his board which would be the 'Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950'.

A graphic designer with a PC like his using an on-board GPU would profit more from upgrading his GPU than his CPU, I'd say.

• Administrator

You sure need more RAM. About 4GB is must. Only 64bit OS can map more than 3.33GB of RAM.

For designing, you need a good external graphics card.

@ oZ.

yea, suggest me an Graphic card for separate price..

ASUS GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121372

??

Forgot to mention earlier that you should consider getting a colour accurate monitor capable of atleast 90% Adobe RGB. Regular screens are not so colour accurate so you might find that your colours appear different when you export or print them from Adobe software. Only thing is a colour accurate screen is about $900US minimum so maybe later on when your pal is well established in the business he can try to get one. Eizo, LaCie, NEC are the recommended brands but the Apple 24" Cinema display is pretty accurate and costs less than the other brands I mentioned. Even though the Apple Cinema Display is not in the league of those other brands I mentioned, it uses an IPS panel instead of a regular TN panel so it comes close to 90% Adobe RGB based on professional reviews and opinions I have seen.

if the cpu price is about 300$

i suggest u get the full power , by going with Q9550 , i have one ,and it is storming Great , you can easily overclock it from 2.8 Ghz to 3.2 Ghz (it comes with 1333mhz FSB )

You can plug 2X2gigs 1066 mhz Ram , and you officially have a solid Pc

Archived