New computer configuration

DKT27

Burn a DBAN Boot Disk... and use the old system with each one and wipe it.. other than that your only option would be to basically destroy it..

• Replies 119
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Hmm. Thanks. I will have to remember to disconnect my current drive otherwise.... :P

BTW how many times it would overwrite?

DoD compliant mode is 7.. but if you got the time and can walk away.. go with 35+ ...DBAN will only need a typical CD.. and should be able to find a small package with an ISO and an exe to burn it with.. Was very fast for me in the past..

If you need it I can see about uploading it.. should be on SourceForge though.. DBAN Nuke Boot Disc

• Administrator

Hmm, what say, I wanna erase one 40GB IDE + 80GB 1.5Gb/s Sata. That would be around 70% full...

So guess I can go with 35+.

Yea I already got it. Will take a few days before I finally erase both of the old drives.

If you want to test it, Try connecting the drives to a system and running R-Studio.. then do an in-depth scan of the drive and see if you find and/or can recover anything.. May even try Abstradome HD Regenerator to see if it can do anything to recover data.. usually you cannot even find a file on the drive..

• Administrator

Lets see what happens. ;)

I still have my old PC and it's parts. Now, soon, I'll check if I have everything needed is my new PC, from my old HDDs. After that, I'd like to clean erase the old drive. It would be sold to someone else. And I wanna make sure that it would be almost impossible for a normal person to recover my data. Any suggestions for a software? I do have Hiren's BootCD, but there are many softwares for that in it. :unsure:

Active Kill Disk (only 1 pass and erase everything) or Darik's Boot and Nuke "DBAN" (you can specify the number of passes and the method to erase, but its very slow)

I still have my old PC and it's parts. Now, soon, I'll check if I have everything needed is my new PC, from my old HDDs. After that, I'd like to clean erase the old drive. It would be sold to someone else. And I wanna make sure that it would be almost impossible for a normal person to recover my data. Any suggestions for a software? I do have Hiren's BootCD, but there are many softwares for that in it. :unsure:

Active Kill Disk (only 1 pass and erase everything) or Darik's Boot and Nuke "DBAN" (you can specify the number of passes and the method to erase, but its very slow)

EDIT: Really late answare :lol:

• Administrator

I would like to overwrite it many times. ;)

@DKT27

If those drives you still use by yourself in private condition, no needs to erase anything indeed. If you prefer with a fresh one in no hurry, just connected the drive as the temp or software/video download library or M$win swap place. All the old data will gone soon. Since below 100G drive space is meaning nothing in this BT sharing era.

enjoy ~

• Administrator

It's going to be sold to someone else. He can be anyone, a real n00b or a hacker.

BTW, I did download DBAN, and burned the 5-6MB ISO with Nero. But when I tried booting, (yea i did all that BIOS perfectly), but it said no bootable device found? I checked twice. I also tired disabling all the other bootable drives and selected on this DVD drive. But no, same error.

Well the drive did go for a repair, so I haven't checked if I'm able to boot any other CD, but lets see.

@DKT27

1, (I'm too lazy) My method to wipe disk is to creat "0xFF" file in 100M size and replicate it many times with directory to fit a DVD image (Yes, I do have this image). Then replicate the image to desire drive with sub-directories recursively ~

Now you do have two drives, so its easy to do it once with the small one and built gho image to the big one and replicate the image any times you need, the side effect is creat rubbish to wipe drive as a result.

2, do you try GRUB ?

BTW, I did download DBAN, and burned the 5-6MB ISO with Nero. But when I tried booting, (yea i did all that BIOS perfectly), but it said no bootable device found?

Since you already have Hiren's BootCD, you need not struggle with a new bootable CD. Just run Hiren's BootCD and use 'Darik's Boot and Nuke,' (DBaN) it's on the opening page (scroll down 4-5 lines.) B)

Yeah same thing..LOL.. ( The only things is with a single CD you can slip it and walk away and not loose Hiren's.. Like I dunno, you are Mr. and Mrs. Smith.. ( love that movie.. ) BUT if you can't get the thing to boot from CD/DVD.. then we may have a problem somewhere else.. Like possibly the Drive not indicated correctly as Master or Slave on correct channel in BIOS.. or something..

• Administrator

Well, odd, Ubuntu was able to boot perfectly.

I know Hiren's BootCD has DBAN, but it has a older version. DBAN new version is something like 2.0. And Hiren contains 1.7 or something.

Can it be because I chose Track-at-once method to write DBAN?

While I booted Ubuntu, just for the sake of it, I tried that Memtest86+ thingy. And right in few mins, I showed this error in mem. Because I didn't had any time to allow it to test further, I had to stop it,, but before I did, the error count was 30? :unsure:

It showed detail of only one error, this is how it looked

Tst = 2

Pass = 0

Failing Address = 0010b7c3d64 - 4279.1MB

Good = ffffffff

Bad = feffffff

Err-bits = 01000000

Count = 1

Can MemTest86+ repair errors?

DBAN 2.0 is a Preview release..but is for newer systems.. 1.7 is a Final release. I actually have and have used the 1.7.. I have 2.0 archived but do not have it burned..

Did you use WinImage to burn it?

I would not worry about the Ubuntu Tests unless you have it installed and all of the files system is correct and not on CD.. There are certain things that are different about the Boot CD.. that are not running or being used that are in an installation..

• Administrator

Hmm, I thought DBAN 2.0 was final. See the changelog.

I used Nero, and it burns every image file quite well.

It's not Ubuntu test, before you enter Ubuntu, there's a option to test your memory. And it does it with the tool Memtest86+. And it's no-where related to Ubuntu.

Are you talking about Hirens Boot CD or a Live CD from Linux?.. or are you talking about the MemTest in a Windows System...

http://www.dban.org/download where I was going from.. Preview release.. regardless I would just use Hirens.. and use DBAN by itself.. like from the CD... should be just fine..

Also on the MemTest things someone else may have to shed some light on it as I am not an expert I don't ever really use it.. Never had the need..

• Administrator

Memtest86+, I used it before I enter Ubuntu. And I think it's DOS based or Linux based. See this homepage.

I'll see DBAN in Hiren later...

Remove 1 stick of RAM and use memtest from Hirens BootCD. If there is now error that stick its ok. Then try the other one.

I love Hirens Boot CD. ^_^

Archived