New computer configuration

DKT27

Thanks for that information, LeetPirate. :)

I did not install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager yet because I thought it was just for RAID support. I didn't realize it was also for AHCI. However, in Device Manager I see that I already have "Intel® ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2929". I suppose Windows 7 installed this because under Driver Details, all four files are provided by Microsoft Corporation and their file versions are all "6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)". I read the article you referred to, How to enable AHCI in Windows 7 RC after installation, but my registry already has that value set. My BIOS doesn't show anything about AHCI. Probably this would be under the Advanced tab in my BIOS, but Sony only shows "Intel® Virtualization Technology" — everything else is hidden.

Since Windows 7 installed AHCI for me, I don't think I need to install Intel Matrix Storage Manager on my Sony laptop. :unsure: Or should I? :unsure:

Normally laptops come with AHCI locked on, nearly all advanced options are hidden from the user. You are free to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager if you want, it will simply update your current SATA drivers to the latest ones.

• Replies 119
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude id advise not going asus with that chipset it has networkng problems trust me i did a 40 pc network(Lan center thus the uber board) with that exact chipset and i lost BOUT 17 board 's dude to some networking issues. rather go GIgabyte... they used to be shit but nowadays there actuly rather good and theve got a grate ass(afters sales service) ^_^ I know its a bit late now though but jeah if you do have issues you can know its not the os bummming out.

• Administrator

Thanx for the info Leet.

Intel Matrix Management thingy tells me my computer doesn't meet minimum requirements. I'll try the registry thingy.

Now I need some help here. I'm unable to run Samsung MagicTune. Tells me something about not being for the OS. Whereas I had downloaded it from the website and it said for Windows 7 x64. :unsure:

Also I'm trying to copy my whole old IDE HDD. But somehow it's not copying all the files. It only copies some of them. Any software that can help me?

I'll post screenshots of the CPU later. :)

Are you copying the OS files or just your personal stuff? I would say Acronis if your copying the OS but your should install Windows XP then Acronis in the new one and then copy everything except system files over to the new one from the backup of the old one...( takes about an Hour maybe less to backup.. probably less on your new machine..) Something I wouldn't do actually..

Maybe looking at some of the problems I talked about before with Ownership, Rights Management, in Windows 7... Not for sure without knowing more... Check the files and folders for Owner.. any owners/admin with a red mark on them will be whats preventing you...usually folders and some files...personal files should be easy to grab.. All else fails.. you can always grab them from over a network..

MagicTune from here 3.0.5? http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learningresources/monitor/magetune/pop_download.html Make sure your system is actually using only the PCI Graphics... Check your hardware..

• Administrator

Well, I think I sorted the copy thing out. I did copy (only one IDE drive for today) each of the partitions. And will gradually remove the non needed things. Security thingy I did in Xp helped a lot.

About Magictune, yes I downloaded it from that page and version 3.0.5 64bit for Windows 7.

My PC doesn't have internal graphics card, what there is, is placed in x16 slot with x16 speed. Latest ATI drivers installed.

• Administrator

Hmm. I think I should try that.

BTW any way to enter documents and settings of Windows 7?

Hmm. I think I should try that.

BTW any way to enter documents and settings of Windows 7?

There is but I am not going to recommend you do it.. so don't it changes access especially when your share something on the network..

So Leave that alone.. and go to Users... do it from there.. things are setup differently.. Start Menu Application Data all of it.. If it doesn't let you in.. move on unless it is absolutely necessary and make sure you change your Security Tab settings back.. Also HardLinks in some places will not let you in.. that is because these are there for the programs to take virtual paths to get to their files.. find out where they are now.. and you will be fine.. the actual folders...files.. :thumbsup:

• Administrator

I really really need to get into the folder. I have admin rights but I still cannot. :angry:

I think I'll try tony's tool that he posted a while ago.

The same thing that is in the Hard Link is in USERS.. Besides that the permissions and ownership have to be changed.. They lock everyone out for a reason..LOL

• Administrator

Hmm. :think:

Tony's post worked. :D

Now just remember what to replace it with.. so access permissions can be changed back when you need it to be.. and I also recommend running a scan with MBSA and/or Tenable Nessus... when you get your installation finalized.. You will find what I did.. It actually opens a vulnerability in your system..

DKT27's latest status update:

Give any tips you can give me about WIndows 7 and x64. :)

Well, that is extremely general. :s From personal experience of using Windows Vista x64 since November 2008 and Windows 7 x64 since December 2009, 64-bit Windows is not too different from 32-bit Windows. But you've really got to make sure that what you want to use is compatible with Windows 64-bit. Quite a few posts here at nsane.forums and nsane.down are 32-bit only so you've got to be careful. Generally though, most 32-bit software runs fine on 64-bit Windows.

Here are some Windows 7 tips and tweaks:

For x64, here's something:

I hope this is a good start to such a general request!! :D

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot, 16-bit software does not run in Windows x64.

• Administrator

Thanx for the links. Helped me a lot. :)

Surprisingly, with 24hours of install of Windows 7. I already came to know half of the things mentioned in the links. But the others were really really helpful. :)

About XP mode, Microsoft page shows three of them, one Windows XP Mode, another Windows Virtual PC, and third one Windows XP Mode Update.

I have Intel-VT technology enabled in BIOS and from processor. So what to choose?

You're most welcome. :)

I have XP Mode. I installed Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode. That's it. The XP Mode update is for those that don't have Intel Virtualization Technology. But you do.

In step 2 on the Microsoft page you listed, select your 64-bit version of Windows 7 and your language (for me: Ultimate 64-bit and English). Now step 3 changes to Windows XP Mode, Windows Virtual PC, and Windows XP Mode update. You don't need Windows XP Mode update because you have hardware support for the original Windows XP Mode (just like I have been using). So you only really need to download and install two things (just like I did earlier).

EDIT: Oh, when you get XP Mode up and running, don't install Comodo Firewall 3.14 in it. I did, and then I had trouble logging in. Once I uninstalled it, everything was fine again.

I did install ESET NOD32 Antivirus in XP Mode though, and it works great.

• Administrator

This is just fabulous. Both new computer and Windows 7 are unbelievably the best I've ever used. Windows 7 is twice or even thrice good as XP.

I tested the CPU speed utilization with many softwares. At normal my CPU stays at 1.2GHz(1204MHz) at x9 multiplier and boosts it speed when needed. Same goes for my RAM, sits at about 1066 at normal and goes till max 1333MHz which is my actual speed, but I haven't allowed it to overclock.

When I saw what CPU-Z reprots in power consumption at 1204MHz, my eyes where wide open, that means at normal at 1204MHz my processor only takes 22W. :o

It reports that it can multiply to x25 at max that is about 3200MHz.

Now what worries me, that the speed is not increased too fast, at takes a application to reach 80-90% of CPU usage to allow all the cores to speed up. But that's not possible easily. Especially if you wanna monitor the core speed at the other end. ANW all the cores speed at the same time, that is good.

Is there any software that can log my core speed like something like long graphs that I can see after I play some games.

About Windows 7, it's a thousand times more better than I would have ever dreamed. It has some problems that normal user wont like but it does tight up some things. For drivers, I've already seen a BSOD trying to install a bluetooth software that worked perfectly on my XP. Well I'm not here to write any Windows 7 review like I did for Ubuntu, we all know how great Windows 7 is. :)

As far as the monitoring is concerned you could probably mod a Rainmeter graph; its size and time.. to reflect the usage or even open your task manager and change the speed of the graph...

Dual and Quad cores always got me about the speed of processing..

• Administrator

I'm trying it right now. But I would prefer a more easy way. Any other option?

• Administrator

Nice. :D

I'll see if it helps me. Again I'll like another second opinion. Something more easy.

• Administrator

Really thanks. What would you recommend from these three Waka Waka?

Just a little comparison...

Realtemp:

- Its the best temperature monitor for Intel.

- Indicates processor usage.

- Temperature in the Traybar.

- Can startup with windows.

- Portable

Tmonitor:

- It only show your processor speed.

- Portable

- Very basic program :(

- Can't startup with windows :(

Ati Tray Tools (ATT):

- Basically its for video card but the monitor works for the CPU too. :)

- You can change voltage and speed of the video card.

- Edit the graph monitor in the way you want.

- Make profiles for the video card and for specific games

- ATT can startup with windows and the graph monitor too.

- Can export the graph monitor in txt, cvs and bmp

- Check the video card for artifacts.

- GPU temp in Traybar.

- Rotate screen

- Save icon positions

- Show FPS in game.

- more and more stuff...

Ati tray tools FTW :lol:

• Administrator

Hmm, I'mm try ATT.

But I would also try Tmonitor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I still have my old PC and it's parts. Now, soon, I'll check if I have everything needed is my new PC, from my old HDDs. After that, I'd like to clean erase the old drive. It would be sold to someone else. And I wanna make sure that it would be almost impossible for a normal person to recover my data. Any suggestions for a software? I do have Hiren's BootCD, but there are many softwares for that in it. :unsure:

Archived