New computer configuration

DKT27

• Administrator

First I've felt that I'll delay buying my new PC to about 10 march as I've got information that there would be some good decrease in the price.

But I'll need help from you guys to clear some doubts and give some suggestions to me.

Here's what I'm planning to with:

Processor: Intel i5-750 2.66GHz Quad Core.

I've checked many benchmarks and I found that this one would be the best processor for me. I found that i5's "dual" processors don't perform that well and it's not available in the Indian markets easily as for now. So i5 quad core is the best I can go for.

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D OR Intel DP55WB OR Gigabyte.

Somehow I’m not in favor of buying Intel motherboard. It’s a bit more expensive and has fewer functions than what Asus has. Example: Intel doesn’t have IDE slot but Asus has one. I’ll need one IDE port. Now the problem is, my engineer told me that Asus maybe the best but it doesn’t have proper service here if any problem occurs. And I was notified that Gigabyte wont be a preferable choice here as it’s having lots of problems in recent years.

RAM: Kingston DDR3 1333MHz 2GB X 2 = 4GB.

HDD: Seagate 500GB Sata HDD.

Any other suggestions? Seems Seagate is final.

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 512MB OR ATI Radeon HD 5570.

The problem is, both the cards are PCI Express 2.1 x16 bus interface. Whereas the motherboards I’ve mentioned have PCI Express 2.0 x16 supported slot. So will these cards work? Also 5570 is not yet available in India.

PSU and Cabinet: Circle 500W or 600W PSU and Circle cabinet.

Well I may not invest much money in this both. Circle is the one which is sold here the most. And has good reviews.

DVD Drive: Already have 1 year old one.

Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech. Don’t wanna invest much money in this.

I already have good LCD, router, speakers, etc.

Anything else?

• Replies 119
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Motherboard: ASUS... Dont buy Intel :x

PCI Express 2.1

PCI-E 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management and support/troubleshooting systems that will be fully implemented in PCI-E 3.0, but it runs at a PCI 2.0 link speed.

That graphics card will work on your Motherboard just fine. Dont worry about 2.1

Graphic Card: go for 5570 (if you find it)

graphs1_01130_screen.jpg

• Administrator

Thanx for the 2.1 info. Gave me tensions that I may not be able to use latest graphics cards.

About Asus, well I have not confirmed it's availability. :unsure:

Performance, I dunno, I want it cheap and latest DX.

Nope, good system.

Would do what Waka Waka said.

Asus = I have better experience with Asus brands.. Intel isn't supposed to make Mobo's, they should stay with CPU's

5570 cause is pure win for that price :)

• Administrator

I hope ATI 5570 is available in India before 10 march. I read on an unconfirmed page that it would be released in India on 20 Feb. :unsure:

Why Seagate HDD? I would go for Western Digital. I have it and I'm very satisfied. They are a bit old, so I don't know if anything changed in quality. As far as I know WD is better then Seagate. I would also go for Asus motherboard and 5570. Also, you are not planing to invest much in PSU? Bad mistake. You don't want that some bad PSU destroys your new computer. I personally never heard for Circle. What other options do you have here?

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

That's why I'm asking you guys. :)

Well I do feel now that I should had inquired also for WD as I've herd many favorable reviews about it. And not much of price difference either.

About PSU, well Circle is known here from years now. I cannot find it's damn site. It's not that I don't wanna invest in it, it's just that this is one of the known ones and and most used. I'll surely inquire about Cooler Master.

I hope to see 5570 released soon in India. Even if it releases in India, it should be available fast to the distributors. :beg:

EDIT: I may well chuck Circle's PSU. Got info that it's cabinet is really nice. Will see more on Cooler Master, but it's a bit more expensive. :(

• Administrator

@dcs18: I'm buying it from a family friend engineer's place. I can trust them 100% on it. It's just that they don't keep all the products with them. They order it directly from distributors. And I don't think I can go till lamington road to see all the products. Any advice you can give?

My rig should cost around Rs. 35K

@implague: I'll inquire. :)

Just waiting to see what Leet has to say. :mellow:

@dcs18: I'm buying it from a family friend engineer's place. I can trust them 100% on it. It's just that they don't keep all the products with them. They order it directly from distributors. And I don't think I can go till lamington road to see all the products. Any advice you can give?

My rig should cost around Rs. 35K

;) Fair enough, (my friends always shop at Lamington Road) and 35 K is reasonable - by next month, the prices will shrink further.

Any advice you can give?

Came in with my 2 cents and noticed that mara- had already posted exactly everything that I'd wanted to. :yes:

Just would like to suggest you go in for a good cooling fan (since you love torrents.)

• Administrator

What do you suggest for Asus. They told me, they are the best but not good service in here. :unsure:

Well as you can see in the top of the thread, I'll buy it on 10 march as the prices are going to be down on about 8 march around. Also I think budget will have at least some impact on it.

Don't worry about the service, go for it. I'll put you on to the right people in the unlikely event, should the need arise.

Well, with Asus, you wont need any service (if we mean on repair) ;). I think that this my third Asus board, and I never had problems. I'll admit that my first died, but it was probably my fault. I had some troubles with CPU which was constantly overheating, and I couldn't find the cause. Those high temps (~70C) probably caused early end and it was already 2 or more years old.

Cheers ;)

Hows the Asus model I've mentioned? Well it's one that I've found at a good price, but doesn't contain eSata. Well I don't have any view in my mind that says I'll need eSata but would it even matter? Plus I can see it has one PCI-e x16 slot. Now if I need to install a expresscard later in few yeas for suppose USB as I maynot be able to afford a USB3 mobo right now, would that Asus mobo have space to install it?

Thank You.

What you already know to be true is correct, the ASUS model is the best one you listed. The following excerpt is what makes a motherboard extremely good:

With the high quality power components such as low RDS (on) MOSFETs, Ferrite core chokes with lower hysteresis loss and 100% Japan-made high quality conductive polymer capacitors, ASUS 12+2 phase VRM design also ensure longer component life and minimum power loss.

I see 2 PCIE x16 slots though, the other one is black so you probably missed it in the picture. Don't worry about the add-in cards for later, you have a spare x16 slot and 2 x1 slots, most add-in cards only use x1 PCIE ports. Don't worry about USB3 as yet, the devices for it are way too expensive to be worth it. eSATA you won't need to worry unless you plan to buy an external drive to use it.

• Administrator

Thanx for the info. :)

Yes I totally missed that black PCI-E slot. :unsure:

For PSU, hows Cooler Master Extreme(500W)?

Thanx for the info. :)

Yes I totally missed that black PCI-E slot. :unsure:

For PSU, hows Cooler Master Extreme(500W)?

Anything 80plus certified is excellent. Active Power Factor Correction (APFC) is always a plus.

Forgot to mention earlier, if anything goes wrong and you have to return it, well most companies makes this a difficult process, just hope for the best and ask the place of purchase about their warranty policy for dead on arrival boards.

For other interesting information, ASROCK boards are all ASUS, same quality but you pay less since the brand name is targeting mainstream consumers. So you might be able to find an ASROCK board with similar features for less money. Just a thought, I don't know what is available in your area. I know some people prefer the brand to be ASUS though, I'm one of them, I really like the neat "Powered by ASUS" sticker they give you. lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I just noticed on the Asus site that the audio is VIA® VT1828S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC. I was all happy that I'm getting realtek. But no it's VIA. Is VIA anywhere good, at least for audio?

And cooler master extreme is just 70% efficiency at normal. So I'll get only 350W from 500W PSU.

Extreme Power calculator says I'll need 500W power, so is it also counting efficiency or the total power?

I am going out on a limb here but I think you will have Realtek anyway.. with a VIA Chipset.. I believe mine is the same way but is an old AC97.. Everest Reports it as ... VIA, yet comes with Realtek package and controls..

EDIT: I am not for sure about your Power issue... Something I haven't actually looked into and I am waiting till I ever build one..LOL

• Administrator

I would like Biz to reply about extreme power thingy. As he posted the link somewhere. I also think that Leet would reply on it.

Anyone, any ideas about how are VIA audio codecs?

• Administrator

Thanks Waka Waka. I didn't read the whole article on anandtech as the mobo mentioned there was P7P55D EVO and my is only P7P55D. But now I'll read it fully. :)

Archived