AVI to VCD - Recommendations?

Myrak

I need to convert a few 200MB TV eps to a burnable format to burn to a CD and watch on a DVD player.

I am a complete novice at the video conversion stuff because I own the worst laptop, with only a CD burner (no DVD capabilities) that doesn't even work now. To burn anything I have to burn a CD with the laptop (the files on it are only readable on my computers apparently), bring it to my older desktop running Windows 98 and re-burn it again there. I can only burn CDs with my Win98 desktop too.

I don't know if its VCD, SVCD or whatever. I need something that fits on a 700MB CD-R. The episodes are 200MB each and run for 25mins each. I need it to play on a standard DVD player and computer (it's for school). What do I do, what do I use and how do I do it?

I have Nero 6.3 installed and working on my Win98 desktop. If that isn't good enough I can install whatever else I need. I don't really care about the time it takes, I can run this desktop for as long as needed, but it must be noted it is not that powerful so it would probably take longer than expected.

Thanks guys. :wacko:

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd recomend SVCD, better quality...

so read this post keeping these differences in mind...

DVD = 720x480 pixels (hardcoded 16:9 [wide])

SVCD = 480x480 pixels (hardcoded 4:3 [box])

so the resolution equation will be a bit different...

([720/w]*h)/1.1

and use a different, more compressible, resizer...

BicubicResize(480, ES, 0.0, 0.6)

and check your PMs for CCE, i think that about covers it :unsure:

My eps are widescreen, 704x396, so will all that still work or do I need to change anything?

yup, the equation is set in such a way that no matter the AVI's resolution it'll return the proper SVCD video height (becomes quite easy oce you get the hang of it) :unsure:

oh, and if the audio is a VBR MP3 you'll need to demux it with VdubMod. streams > stream list > audio stream > demux ...wait... disable audio > close list. video menu > direct stream copy. file > save ...wait... and close vdubmod. you'll notice that you've basicly just split the audio and video into 2 seperate files.

so open the audio file with BeLight and convert it to a regular 16-bit stereo WAV file (set the gain to PREgain).

re-open vdubmod and open the video only file you made before. go back to the stream list, click add > new.WAV. do video > direct again. file > save again

now you have an AVI file 100% compatible audio. it is a WAV/PCM file after all, a regular CD player could play it :P

if you had the programs open you'd get what i was saying :unsure:

and it's easy when ya get the hang of it, i convert xvid releases in like 30-45 mins each (quite a big collection) :P

if you had the programs open you'd get what i was saying :P

An great guess by you, considering I've never tryed this configuration. In my defence I'm a bit of newbe and all of mine previuos atempts were bad experience altogether. Formats, types of files, very specific individual requirements and recomendations are to blame... (nothing to do with my both arms being left handed :P ) I'll definetly keep my eye on all of it as sooner rather than later, gon'a have to start again, from new :sneaky:

Anyways, glad you back ! as there was temporary ofline period :unsure:

• 2 months later...
I need to convert a few 200MB TV eps to a burnable format to burn to a CD and watch on a DVD player.

I began to use Ashampoo's Movie Shrink and Burn 2- could not be eassye ;) so quick and simple- I feel like S Spielberg... ;)

Archived