Major improvement for Windows gaming on Linux expected next year

Karlston

PC gaming

(Image credit: Shutterstock)

Gaming on Linux systems could be about to get a lot more inclusive thanks to the work of one open-source company.

Headquartered in Cambridge, Collabora specializes in open source consultancy and development. The company has been working to improve the Linux kernel to better support gaming on the behest of Valve, who has been sponsoring the work. 

While gaming on Linux has made major positive strides in the last few years, a vast majority of games still continue to be developed exclusively for Windows. Valve’s approach to bring this Windows-only gaming ecosystem to Linux is through emulation.

To that end it has developed an open source tool called Proton (forked from the open source Wine compatibility layer), which allows Windows-only games to run atop Linux, without any noticeable performance penalties.

Major milestone

Speaking at the recent Open Source Summit, Europe 2020, being held virtually for the first time, Gabriel Krisman Bertazi from Collabora talked about the "State of Linux Gaming". 

During his presentation Gabriel talked about all the work Collabora has been doing to fulfill Valve's requirements to further improve support for Windows games on Linux with Steam Play (via Proton). 

One of the big missing pieces of the puzzle is support for anti-cheat mechanisms, which causes quite a lot of Windows games to fail to load on Linux. Gabriel discussed the various strategies Collabora employed to remove this hurdle and how he expects their work in this regard to make its way into Linux Kernel 5.11.

While Gabriel’s talk was aimed at developers it shows Valve’s positive intentions when it comes to improving gaming on Linux. In addition to Collabora, the popular game developer and distributor is also working with CodeWeavers and other developers to improve the Linux graphics stack.

ThanksForReading200x49.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Views 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What this was about it was  just a  presentation  of what they achieved  so  far with Proton and the  new FUTEX2   they been working on since June  All this stuff is internal  Its going to be a big deal  they working ob  making Anti Cheat to work in Proton but Valve Experimental  team not released nothing to public since 2019 .  What Valve do on Linux has 0 to do with what Microsoft done for Linux with recent patches M$ gave us for Mesa . Valve dont even use GitHub were M$ can spy on them they use Gitlab instead they working toward making games work on Linux  just  as good as windows. .    Things not in the Linux kernel  yet you dont have to wait for Linux to add it they just have release it to a PPA  for Ubuntu and/or post the patches so you can compile your own Linux kernel . Linux is not windows  we dont have to wait  on  Linus to approve  it to use it , we just need access to it . :clap:

I used l experimental stuff  that use a ppa to install patches in the  Linux kernel

(Anbox Not Using it anymore)

(Wire Guard) now Back ported to my version of the Linux kernel so the PPA is gone now.

Only thing i have now that's uses  patches is  gCDEmu it mounts ISO on your system

Methinks if someone wants to play Windows-based games, he should do it on Windows OS. not Linux.

On 10/29/2020 at 1:05 PM, steven36 said:

I used l experimental stuff  that use a ppa to install patches in the  Linux kernel

You are using Ubuntu?

On 10/29/2020 at 1:05 PM, steven36 said:

(Wire Guard) now Back ported to my version of the Linux kernel so the PPA is gone now.

Wireguard does not provide users with anonymity, do you know?

31 minutes ago, caraid said:

You are using Ubuntu?

Yes since 2015

31 minutes ago, caraid said:

Wireguard does not provide users with anonymity, do you know?

It just depends on if you buy a good vpn   to use with it or not . Wireguard  has its upsides and downsides just like  openvpn do.  Nord  vpn uses NordLynx to protect you , some use VPN tunneling software with additional protections to ensure that the server-client connection remains private and no IP addresses are leaked and other good ones delete connection logs as soon as you end your vpn session.   you have to make sure  you  Block or disable WebRTC a problem  that openvpn has as  well  but Wireguard is much faster  i can use ether one  good vpns have both Open VPN and Wireguard.

23 hours ago, steven36 said:

Yes since 2015

Ubuntu collects a lot of info on its users. In addition it doesn't really endorse free and open source software. I'm using Debian for general stuff and OpenBSD for increased protection against telemetry. Unfortunately the Tor Browser doesn't work at all on *BSD operating systems.

On 11/1/2020 at 12:14 PM, steven36 said:

Wireguard  has its upsides and downsides just like  openvpn do.

Perhaps you may already have read the article WireGuard VPN: What You Need to Know. It discusses the problems with using Wireguard.

Nord  vpn uses NordLynx to protect you

I was a subscriber of NordVPN's service a few years ago. It is deceptive in that it claims to be based in Panama but it has its payment processing center in Florida, USA. When I asked for clarification, the VPN vendor didn't bother to reply.

but Wireguard is much faster

Beginning with version 2.5, the open source OpenVPN offers another driver called wintun. It is claimed to be much faster and has no bottlenecks vis-a-vis Tap for Windows driver.

Archived