Three years later, the PS3 gets hacked

nsane.forums

After over three years on the market, the PlayStation 3 has finally been hacked. Famous iPhone hacker George Hotz, aka "GeoHot", has become the first to achieve the feat, though what this means for the PS3 modding community remains to be seen.

ps3hack.jpg "I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor," Hotz wrote on his blog. "In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip."

"3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system," he added.

It took Hotz himself five weeks to crack the PS3, which he documented on his blog. And though he hasn't revealed what the news could mean in terms of exploits, it sounds like there is definitely something that will be announced soon.

"As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet," Hotz wrote, before adding that there's "a lot more to come."

You can keep up with the project by following Hotz's blog or Twitter.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was only a matter of time before it would happen.

So gg hackers!

This is just more proof that Pirates dominate the world....We always get what we want :pirate:

• Administrator

That's good. :)

iPhone hacker, hmm. I wonder why no one is ever able to hack iPod Nano after Generation 2. :think:

This will just lead to Sony releasing new firmware more often to combat the hacking attempts until they release the PS4 and stop caring about the PS3, like the case with the PS2 now. :D

That's good. :)

iPhone hacker, hmm. I wonder why no one is ever able to hack iPod Nano after Generation 2. :think:

What's the point in hacking it... It's not like it has al those special extra's like an Iphone/Touch

• Administrator

I would rather hack sites that supplies him the material. :lol:

Haantjuh's pr0n collection is already filtered, which means he only has the best 2lbz2xg.png

Oh you bet ya..

Got it everywhere.. USB-Drive, external HDD.. and Internal HDD.. + some paid sites like bangbros (Without paying :lol: ) WHO"S DA MAN! :D

What's the point in hacking it... It's not like it has al those special extra's like an Iphone/Touch

The only benefit I could think of is allowing us to play burnt games for free instead of buying them. If that can't be done then no real point in hacking the ps3.

I though the PS3 was like a media center anyway.. with which you could browse the Internet with and connect to other systems to play multi-player games?.. Unless I am wrong there is quite a few possibilities including apps and programs that could be spawned out of that.. UNLESS you can already do it... I still want one and GT5.. Just can't find the free cash.. ( can I ever though...LOL )

Archived