'Clean' AOL client?

mars_army

I'm getting sick of all the crap that comes with AOL.

I just installed it on my laptop (we still have to use dialup at my house) and I was shocked by all the extra stuff that was installed everywhere.

It is nice that it comes with the "AOL Dialer" which is a small tray app that can be used to dial the numbers without starting up the AOL software. But what I'd like to know, is there a way to just install AOLDialer with the necessary files and such without all the extra AOL software? Or is there a hacked AOL client in existence?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, can anyone at least tell me what the cleanest method of using AOL is? Is there a particular version that doesn't come bundled with that much stuff? Is there a "lite" client around? Anything!

best version would be calling their billing department and cancelling your account. then call you local DSL provider and get their cheapest package (usually about the same price as AOL dial-up) :unsure:

masterripper

wtf, why you using aol? aol sucks ass, use FireFox or Opera. :unsure:

wtf, why you using aol? aol sucks ass, use FireFox or Opera. :unsure:

AOL isnt just a browser, they are an ISP. they are with the likes of NetZero.

masterripper

wtf, why you using aol? aol sucks ass, use FireFox or Opera. :)

AOL isnt just a browser, they are an ISP. they are with the likes of NetZero.

i know that , it is just that you dont really need an isp unless you are using dialup, in which case you would need an isp so you could "dial" the internet, if you have cable or dsl (like me) then you have an "always on" connection meaning you dont need to dial through an isp to get on the internet, well atleast that is my case, dont know about the rest of you.

@mars_army: if you want a "lite" version of aol, try downloading aol from here http://download.newaol.com/clients/coffee/...40a/AOLDNLD.EXE instead of using those free cd's you can find out in stores which have all that bundled crap with it. if you download it instead, it dont have that crappy junk bundled, hope that helps.

Archived