Must-Have Softwares - Your Opinion?

kekosu

Hi everyone,

I did format my PC yesterday. Now I have only a few softwares such as Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office programs, Avast, qbTorrent, GOM Player, 7-Zip etc. However, I'm not sure how to feed my PC with essential or good softwares. Do you have any suggestion for softwares for me.  Some must-have or should-have software suggestion would be great.

• Replies 27
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, kekosu said:

should-have software suggestion

You have already mentioned the essentials, now for the rest

It depends on what type of PC user you are, A designer?, An Accountant?, An IT service person. etc etc. answer it and you can have a list for yourself,  if you are not able to do it then post your hobby/profession and you can expect help from experts here.

HTH

On 9/13/2020 at 1:19 PM, kekosu said:

Hi everyone,

I did format my PC yesterday. Now I have only a few softwares such as Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office programs, Avast, qbTorrent, GOM Player, 7-Zip etc. However, I'm not sure how to feed my PC with essential or good softwares. Do you have any suggestion for softwares for me.  Some must-have or should-have software suggestion would be great.

Here is my suggestion list in no particular order:

* indicates optional software which might not be of use for everyone.

1. K-Lite Codec Pack (Mega)

2. Notepad++

3. CCleaner

4. Internet Download Manager

5.  Firefox

6.  SUMo

7.  Winrar

8. Powershell 7 *

9. Visual Studio Code *

10.  VPN (anyone that you choose)

11.  Windoiws Terminal *

12.  WSL 2 & Linux (any distribution that you choose) *

13.  O&O Shutup10 (if you are on Window 10)

14.  StartIsBack/StartIsBack++

15.  Ultimate Windows Tweaker

16.  MD5 and SHA Checksum Utility

17.  hjsplit

18.  Mp3tag

19.  FileZilla *

20.  UltraIISO

21.  XMeters

22.  Network Activity Indicator

23.  Node JS / Python / MinGW-W64 project / MSYS2 64bit / Visual Studio build tools *

24.  Sync *

25.  Exec TI *

26.  Sysinternals Suite

27.  Visual C Runtimes (most recent All-in-One would be a better option rather than installing them one by one)

28.  FreeFileSync *

29.  Symantec Endpoint Protection (much better choice than AVAST in my opinion)

30.  Windows 10 Update Assisstant

31.  Foxit Reader (better option than Adobe Acrobat again in my opinion)

1 minute ago, DLord said:

* indicates optional software which mighty not be of use for everyone.

2. Notepad++

3. CCleaner

5.  Firefox

6.  SUMo

7.  Winrar

8. Powershell 7 *

9. Visual Studio Code *

11.  Windoiws Terminal *

17.  hjsplit

18.  Mp3tag

19.  FileZilla *

20.  UltraIISO

21.  XMeters

23.  Node JS / Python / MinGW-W64 project / MSYS2 64bit / Visual Studio build tools *

24.  Sync *

25.  Exec TI *

26.  Sysinternals Suite

27.  Visual C Runtimes (most recent All-in-One would be a better option rather than installing them one by one)

28.  FreeFileSync *

I heard first time some of the softwares. Thanks awesome list, that is exactly what I need!👍

@kekosu

Welcome to the greatest community on the internet.  Take a couple minutes and read the Forum Cuidelines.

All interactions between community members (be it via posts, PM's or via the shoutbox) should be free from flaming, baiting, spam, profanities and illegal / obscene material, and as a result should be positive, polite and constructive. Should you come across something that isn't please use the "Report" button next to a post or contact a staff member via a PM (Reporting Tutorial).

You asked for help and some of your replies can be taken as bit offensive to some.  We pride ourselves in the comrade here that has been built  by each and every member being positive, polite and constructive. 

Looking forward to your contributions.

3 hours ago, flash13 said:

@kekosu

Welcome to the greatest community on the internet.  Take a couple minutes and read the Forum Cuidelines.

All interactions between community members (be it via posts, PM's or via the shoutbox) should be free from flaming, baiting, spam, profanities and illegal / obscene material, and as a result should be positive, polite and constructive. Should you come across something that isn't please use the "Report" button next to a post or contact a staff member via a PM (Reporting Tutorial).

You asked for help and some of your replies can be taken as bit offensive to some.  We pride ourselves in the comrade here that has been built  by each and every member being positive, polite and constructive. 

Looking forward to your contributions.

I did not mean to be offensive, rude etc. I was expressing a situation in cold blood, that's all. Which sentences did you take as offensives?

"basically you said nothing" is it this one?

I asked for help but s/he came here and said nothing for my situation. so it is "basically nothing".  Let's say you create a topic to look for some help for your math homework and someone come your topic and says something like that: well, you wrote your question, now the rest...  are you a high school student or college student or math lover, answer it and you can find the answer. if you are not able to find the answer, then post here.

How would you feel when you read it and how would you reply? Isn't it pretty nothing? And I all was saying that it iwas nothing. I did not even mentioned that he was being offensive. He says if you are not able to do that, then create a topic. First of all, I can create a topic whenever I want , it is not up to her/him all I must know is forum rules and I belive that I did not violate any forum rules by creating this topic. Secondly,  his reply feels like one would create this topic if s/he are not able to make a list. Once again, no one can talk about what am I able to do or not. As the third, by saying if you are not able to do it then create topic feels like I'm not able to do it since I've created the topic. 

However, I know this is just a technology forum. If you are not able to understand the deep structre of the discourse and implicational companents of utterances in such this context, to warn the wrong person would be acceptable. It is okay if you are not able to solve the puzzle. 

Reply this topic by warning me or aguing  if you are not able to  understand what I am talking about. 

See? Now theoretically I limited your action and describe it, theoretically if you reply by warning me or arguing with me, means you are not able to understand since it is not true because it is not the only reason to reply my message, if we talk about my topic, it is not the only reason to create this topic if I am not able to do something. Life is easy when you are not able to and don't need to understand the deep structe of the language, right?

I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, I wanted you to feel same way as I did to understand to help you to understand my perspective.

Dear Friend My intention was not at all to misguide you or misjudge you, this is a very wonderful forum with lots of experts from different fields working together to make it even better.

All I asked you was if you can list your hobby and profession you can have list of ESSENTIAL software by your self which you can post here and can get suggestion from experts if you should add more or not and/or if you should change your choice of app or not. rather then adding lost of junks softwares on a fresh and clean system and again clogging the system and registry which will again force you to format and fresh start.

My Idea of a PC with essential or good softwares is very simple NO JUNKWARE or TRAIL AND ERROR METHOD. besides an essential for someone may be an optional for some one.

Hope I am understood clear to you now.

17 hours ago, kekosu said:

I did not mean to be offensive, rude etc. I was expressing a situation in cold blood, that's all. Which sentences did you take as offensives?

"basically you said nothing" is it this one?

I asked for help but s/he came here and said nothing for my situation. so it is "basically nothing".  Let's say you create a topic to look for some help for your math homework and someone come your topic and says something like that: well, you wrote your question, now the rest...  are you a high school student or college student or math lover, answer it and you can find the answer. if you are not able to find the answer, then post here.

How would you feel when you read it and how would you reply? Isn't it pretty nothing? And I all was saying that it iwas nothing. I did not even mentioned that he was being offensive. He says if you are not able to do that, then create a topic. First of all, I can create a topic whenever I want , it is not up to her/him all I must know is forum rules and I belive that I did not violate any forum rules by creating this topic. Secondly,  his reply feels like one would create this topic if s/he are not able to make a list. Once again, no one can talk about what am I able to do or not. As the third, by saying if you are not able to do it then create topic feels like I'm not able to do it since I've created the topic. 

However, I know this is just a technology forum. If you are not able to understand the deep structre of the discourse and implicational companents of utterances in such this context, to warn the wrong person would be acceptable. It is okay if you are not able to solve the puzzle. 

Reply this topic by warning me or aguing  if you are not able to  understand what I am talking about. 

See? Now theoretically I limited your action and describe it, theoretically if you reply by warning me or arguing with me, means you are not able to understand since it is not true because it is not the only reason to reply my message, if we talk about my topic, it is not the only reason to create this topic if I am not able to do something. Life is easy when you are not able to and don't need to understand the deep structe of the language, right?

I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, I wanted you to feel same way as I did to understand to help you to understand my perspective.

Why have you just joined here with all these ridiculous questions and here i am talking about your member introduction ....If you had read the guidelines there is nothing to talk about rules are rules if you don't like it then i,m afraid you don,t have to stay your choice...

Guys, if I may butt in....I think this is just a language misunderstanding. I don't see anything offensive or

out of order in kekosu's post. He just asked an innocent question about programs that we could recommend

to him. Of course we might recommend some programs that are not useful for him, but come on, he's not asking

us to buy them for him. We all have to remember that the written word doesn't always convey the mood or manners

of the writer and if a person is not a native English speaker misunderstandings can occur. The same words spoken by

a person with a smile on his face don't give offence because you can see and hear that he is joking and no offence is

intended.  I know that I say many things here in jest, and I hope that no-one here will be offended or annoyed, but I

run the risk of being taken seriously.

Kekosu, welcome to Nsane...never has a site been so appropriately named!! Now, to answer your question, I would

recommend:- Total Uninstall

Q-Translate

Macrium Reflect

Privazer

You can search them on Nsane and read up on them.

Once again, welcome aboard!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3 hours ago, funkyy said:

Privazer

...and back to the main topic,  this is a good suggestion but make sure you know what you are doing using this app or any other deep cleaning software.

1 hour ago, DLord said:

but make sure you know what you are doing using this app or any other deep cleaning software

This is exactly what I wanted to warn our good friend here.😀

It takes a level of expertise to use some tools for an average user.

Here is a Generic List of Software according to me which are useful to an average PC user. I am putting alternating choices with 1st choice which I use in some cases.

1. 7zip/Wirrar/winzip

2. notepad3/notepad++/programmers notepad

3. Adobe Acrobar Reader/Foxit PDF reader/ Nitro pdf Reader

4. vlc player

5. modern csv

6. unit converter

7. AVD Mass And Volume Calculator

8. Calctape

9. paint.net

10. netdrive 3

11. keepass XC

12. Network Indicator

13. Malwarebytes

14. DesktopOK

15. Mailbird

16. Fineprint

17. PDF factorty Pro

18. FILEminimizer Suite

19. Neat Download Manager

20. qBittorrent

21. YT Downloader

22. Macrium Reflect

23. O&O Shutup10

24. Hasher

25. AntRenamerPortable

HTH

7 Zip

AdGuard Premium

Avidemux

Auslogics Disk Defrag Ultimate

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

DVDFab Media Player PRO

ExpressVPN

Internet Download Manager

Microsoft Office 2016 Pro

Paint.NET

Light Image Resizer

Privazer

Revo Uninstaller Pro

ZD Soft Screen Recorder

Win RAR

On 9/13/2020 at 2:19 PM, kekosu said:

Hi everyone,

Hi,

Everything.

On 9/13/2020 at 5:27 AM, DLord said:

* indicates optional software which might not be of use for everyone.

2. Notepad++

3. CCleaner

5.  Firefox

6.  SUMo

7.  Winrar

8. Powershell 7 *

9. Visual Studio Code *

11.  Windoiws Terminal *

17.  hjsplit

18.  Mp3tag

19.  FileZilla *

20.  UltraIISO

21.  XMeters

24.  Sync *

25.  Exec TI *

26.  Sysinternals Suite

28.  FreeFileSync *

Question, how do you put the k-lite codec pack to use? I ask because i often think about that pack too but isn't everything already included in windows for playing various types of videos? Does this add more effectiveness/efficiency/speed?

Thanks @DLord

NotMyRealNāme

For file hashing I use HashTab which adds a tab to file properties and it can display various file hashes for the file and it can also compare file hashes with another file. It is integrated into explorer and for basic file hashing it works well. All that is really needed is CRC32, MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-256. It is free to use for personal use.

Another vote for Notepad++

Keepass password manager

JDownloader 2 which requires Java. This is the best to use it you are free filehost downloading

ConEmu if you require a better featured command line.

TeraCopy

Mozilla Thunderbird email client

Video Container Changer for changing the container and file extension of video files

Irfanview for viewing and basic manipulation of pictures plus the plugins

CoreTemp and HWiNFO for hardware monitoring temps & voltages etc

NetTime Network Time Synchronization to get an accurate system time because most PC motherboards have very poor time keeping. It is much better than the standard Windows time sync with multiple server support and a few other features. It's fairly small. It can also be useful if you use eBay.

One that I could not do without is f.lux to adjust screen colour/brightness which can be helpful before sleep. It makes the screen warmer the later the time.

There are lots of great audio/video appz but I will not list them unless you are interested.

17 hours ago, Andy83 said:

Question, how do you put the k-lite codec pack to use? I ask because i often think about that pack too but isn't everything already included in windows for playing various types of videos? Does this add more effectiveness/efficiency/speed?

Thanks @DLord

Native media player on Windows opens and plays very limited file types.  K-Lite (specially mega or full) plays almost all media file types.  It also have Classic Media Player bundled with it which is a great option over Windows Media Player (its lighter, faster, and no telemetry in comparison).

7 hours ago, DLord said:

Native media player on Windows opens and plays very limited file types.  K-Lite (specially mega or full) plays almost all media file types.  It also have Classic Media Player bundled with it which is a great option over Windows Media Player (its lighter, faster, and no telemetry in comparison).

Thanks, curious, why go there when there is VLC? 

NotMyRealNāme
6 hours ago, Andy83 said:

VLC is crap IMO. It has always had problems when I have used it to pause video without first advancing numerous frames. It was always impossible to stop or advance frame by frame to take a screen capture. MPC (HC) never had the same problems. MPC is a far better media player and it requires very few codecs ie mainly LAV which decodes most audio/video codecs and also uses hardware acceleration where possible.

I do not like the Kazaa ie K-Lite codecs and have not needed/used them in many years. They became too bloated over the years and I do not think that they are required when simple and small codecs like LAV support practically all a/v codecs. K-(not so)lite is an enormous 41MB in size! It also now has adware bundled into it.

20 hours ago, Andy83 said:

Beyond being personal choice and liking, I ran into some problems (technical and performance) with VLC in the past but never with K-Lite.

It might be my system or even my usage but tested it over different machines and OSes and always the same result.

On 9/15/2020 at 4:33 AM, funkyy said:

Guys, if I may butt in....I think this is just a language misunderstanding. I don't see anything offensive or

out of order in kekosu's post. He just asked an innocent question about programs that we could recommend

to him. Of course we might recommend some programs that are not useful for him, but come on, he's not asking

us to buy them for him. We all have to remember that the written word doesn't always convey the mood or manners

of the writer and if a person is not a native English speaker misunderstandings can occur. The same words spoken by

a person with a smile on his face don't give offence because you can see and hear that he is joking and no offence is

intended.  I know that I say many things here in jest, and I hope that no-one here will be offended or annoyed, but I

run the risk of being taken seriously.

Kekosu, welcome to Nsane...never has a site been so appropriately named!! Now, to answer your question, I would

recommend:- Total Uninstall

Q-Translate

Macrium Reflect

Privazer

You can search them on Nsane and read up on them.

Once again, welcome aboard!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

No disrespect @funkyy but if you would have read my post i was talking about his or hers member introduction not this post...Read it for yourself ...So in future lets ease up on the mini moderating ...Thanks...

OK @Reefa message received. But I wasn't trying to "moderate" I assure you of that.

Anyway now I hope polite free speech is not forbidden on Nsane.😑😑😑

7 minutes ago, funkyy said:

OK @Reefa message received. But I wasn't trying to "moderate" I assure you of that.

Anyway now I hope polite free speech is not forbidden on Nsane.😑😑😑

It certainly isn't mate ..Thanks for your reply...

Here is my must have software list...

Adguard

Shadow defender

Sandboxie

Spywareblaster

Hitman pro

Nordvpn

Dragon fruit

Spyware shelter premium

Internet lock

Simplewall

Stardock curtains- start 10- icon packager

Firefox

IDM

Macrium free

On 9/17/2020 at 12:17 PM, DLord said:

Beyond being personal choice and liking, I ran into some problems (technical and performance) with VLC in the past but never with K-Lite.

It might be my system or even my usage but tested it over different machines and OSes and always the same result.

everything works with MPC-HC with madvr. I've used k-lite a long time ago, haven't felt the need for it in years. I also read plenty of people complaining about it but then I don't use it any more, so can't say anything personally.

Archived