Windows 10 x64 Home Restarts?

TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar

[Where to put this question?] It seems as if my Windows 10 x64 Home laptop is restarting itself? I walk away and after some interval of time, my apps have been closed?  Desktop is clear. Right now it's just The Bat! and Google Chrome. I am logged in as administrator.

EDIT: This time it appeared as if the laptop shut itself down? I powered it up. When starting Chrome, you get the "Restart" option. This only appears when Chrome is killed?
EDIT2: I tried this, but it still shuts down

EDIT3: I am reduced to closing the lid and then reopening in order to stop it from randomly shutting down

• Replies 35
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

check startup programs / scheduled tasks... u might have some "update" that can't do it's thing properly and tries a "silent" restart... again and again and...

TheEmpathicEar

@jbleck It's hard for me to read these entries. @spudboy It's been happening when I am away from the PC. So, I don't really know about the fan. 

4 hours ago, mehdibleu said:

Check if there was any BSOD that occured through Bluescreenview which caused the machine to restart.

I did a "Hail Mary" and ran CCleaner's Registry Cleaner. Reboot. Ran Total Uninstall's Cleaner. Reboot. Now, I am waiting. Uptime is about 1 1/2 hours. If It happens again, I will try "Bluescreenview".

EDIT: This is just getting annoying. It was up for 4+ hours and then shut down. I checked the fan during start up. It is going. It is very quiet. You have a listen carefully. And, put your head down to hear it. And, why heat?? I only have Chrome and The Bat! running??

TheEmpathicEar
8 hours ago, mehdibleu said:

Check if there was any BSOD that occured through Bluescreenview which caused the machine to restart.

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER How can this help me? Device Manager does not show any issues?

atikmdag.sys and dxgkrnl.sys?

8 hours ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER How can this help me? Device Manager does not show any issues?

atikmdag.sys and dxgkrnl.sys?

So it was BSOD as i expected, all indicates that it's graphic driver issue so try to update your graphic card driver and see if it solves this issue.

If you still get BSOD with the same error code, uninstall the graphic driver and download it from ATI site manufactureror your machine's manufacturer then install it and see what happens.

TheEmpathicEar
3 hours ago, mehdibleu said:

So it was BSOD as i expected, all indicates that it's graphic driver issue so try to update your graphic card driver and see if it solves this issue.

If you still get BSOD with the same error code, uninstall the graphic driver and download it from ATI site manufactureror your machine's manufacturer then install it and see what happens.

What's the best way to accurately identify your graphics card? And, would you use DDU to uninstall the existing drivers?

15 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

What's the best way to accurately identify your graphics card? And, would you use DDU to uninstall the existing drivers?

1- HWinfo

2- you can uninstall via Device Manager

16 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

we can never be 100% sure about the origin of a problem but the 2 sys files you mentionned above are both associated with ATI Radeon Family and Directx so everything suggests that this issue is related to graphic card driver.

I don't use DDU but you can uninstall the driver the usual way through device manager.

26 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

Can someone help me identify the correct driver package on the AMD web site?

Try these drivers, they are for your card

hERE

I would suggest you use the automatic detect to help you, just below on this page

TheEmpathicEar
5 minutes ago, cosy said:

Try these drivers, they are for your card

hERE

I would suggest you use the automatic detect to help you, just below on this page

Thx. I saw the above, but Speccy had "AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx". The above link has 2500u. I don't know enough to understand the difference. Maybe using the Auto-Detect Tool here is also what you are suggesting?

2 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

Maybe using the Auto-Detect Tool here is also what you are suggesting?

YES, there is not much difference, it is just the brand name

44 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

I used Speccy to get the specs and attached as a text file. Can someone help me identify the correct driver package on the AMD web site?

DESKTOP-ALOA4PN.txt 116.95 kB · 4 downloads

As i said, you can go to your machine's manufacturer (HP, Dell......) then download there your graphic card driver.

Or you can go at https://www.driverscloud.com/en/features  and download your graphic card there

TheEmpathicEar

Thx guys! I did use DDU to uninstall. I have been using it on my desktop to uninstall AMD GPU w/o issues that I know about so far. I used the auto-detect tool, here, to reinstall GPU drivers here and it looks good so far. Of course, this does an uninstall as well. I guess now it's wait and see going forward. 😀

EDIT: Over 5 hours of up time. Maybe my troubles are over?

TheEmpathicEar
1 hour ago, sky19 said:

Looks good. I just bookmarked it for next time. Thx!
EDIT: When I first started looking into this, I found this. It is possible to change Restart to Shut Down in Advanced Settings should anyone want to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 7:06 AM, TheEmpathicEar said:

Looks good. I just bookmarked it for next time. Thx!
EDIT: When I first started looking into this, I found this. It is possible to change Restart to Shut Down in Advanced Settings should anyone want to do this.

you did not say in your 1st post what specific Win10 Home version you are using (aka. 1909, 2004, etc.)

Type winver.exe in the Run dialog box to display the Win10 edition & version with the OS build.

the 2004 release of Win10 had a bunch of issues & problems when first released to the public around end of May 2020 but some of those problems have been fixed with recent updates for Win10 v2004.

TheEmpathicEar
5 hours ago, erp-ster0 said:

you did not say in your 1st post what specific Win10 Home version you are using (aka. 1909, 2004, etc.)

Type winver.exe in the Run dialog box to display the Win10 edition & version with the OS build.

the 2004 release of Win10 had a bunch of issues & problems when first released to the public around end of May 2020 but some of those problems have been fixed with recent updates for Win10 v2004.

Version 2004 19041.508

TheEmpathicEar
On 8/28/2020 at 1:37 PM, mehdibleu said:

Now, I am back to shut down, repeat... Bluescreenview does not reveal anything this time. The only strange thing last time and this time. Power button does not seem to start up as usual. It seems I have to repeat - pressing button multiple times. Strange.
EDIT: If it's a drive issue, is it Window Update? Someplace else? I have this laptop for months and never had issues like this?

TheEmpathicEar
On 8/29/2020 at 3:33 PM, TheEmpathicEar said:

Thx guys! I did use DDU to uninstall. I have been using it on my desktop to uninstall AMD GPU w/o issues that I know about so far. I used the auto-detect tool, here, to reinstall GPU drivers here and it looks good so far. Of course, this does an uninstall as well. I guess now it's wait and see going forward. 😀

EDIT: Over 5 hours of up time. Maybe my troubles are over?

Did this again. Now check for uptime. It would be nice if whatever is triggering the shut downs would could be eliminated. IOW, let me decide when I want to upgrade my GPU drivers or not..
EDIT: Still crashing readomly.

"...Power button does not seem to start up as usual..."

Windows and drivers are not to blame for this, it is possible that some hardware is failing .

Eventually you can try to reset the BIOS to DEFAULT settings and look at the laptop support page which is the latest BIOS version .

Once again, try turning off in Chrome-settings:  "Use harware acceleration when available ".

TheEmpathicEar
3 hours ago, sky19 said:

"...Power button does not seem to start up as usual..."

Windows and drivers are not to blame for this, it is possible that some hardware is failing .

Eventually you can try to reset the BIOS to DEFAULT settings and look at the laptop support page which is the latest BIOS version .

Once again, try turning off in Chrome-settings:  "Use harware acceleration when available ".

I just turned off hardware acceleration. Now, wait and see.

EDIT: So, what is it about hardware acceleration?

Archived