IS the younger generation, not all but most, getting dumber as the current years proceed in time

Betts1964

I live in the USA and I am wondering if anyone besides me notice that most people, not all, under the age of 35 are getting dumber? Every time i call a dept store, phone company..whatever business, I have to explain things 5 times before they understand what i am saying or they have to get or i have to ask for a supervisor. I go to a supermarket and many times people have given me the wrong change, cant use their minds figuring it out or whatever. I am talking about very basic things.

To the people not living in USA, is it like this in your country as well?

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get what you're saying. Where I live people can be dumb, they're just much more likely to be abrasive or malicious in addition to being stupid, but that only really annoys me when dealing with those in charge. More often than not the low-level employees are hyper-nice, because they've been browbeat into submission by some low-level hyper-vigilant manager. Either way, I try not to get hung up over such situations.

Think about it like this – the people you mentioned, they're what, 20-ish something? And there they are, siting in some cubicle, fielding customer orders and/or complaints? They either didn't go to college and weren't skilled enough for a well-paying trade, dropped out of college/high-school, or are going to college and have better things to do than do the menial job that only pays half the rent.

Whatever they've done with their life up to that point, the best they managed to get was a minimum-wage service job with no career prospects, that pays less than they can live on. Why would they be alert or pay attention, when in their case paying attention means being aware of their own misery, and it won't get them any advancement for their effort?

If there's one thing that's different between the older and younger generations (and I'm speaking from the viewpoint of a member of the latter group) is that the younger people have lost the impulse to feel and seek satisfaction for a job well-done, just for it's own sake. I don't know why that is, but I definitely think it's a real thing.

1 hour ago, Alanon said:

I get what you're saying. Where I live people can be dumb, they're just much more likely to be abrasive or malicious in addition to being stupid, but that only really annoys me when dealing with those in charge. More often than not the low-level employees are hyper-nice, because they've been browbeat into submission by some low-level hyper-vigilant manager. Either way, I try not to get hung up over such situations.

Think about it like this – the people you mentioned, they're what, 20-ish something? And there they are, siting in some cubicle, fielding customer orders and/or complaints? They either didn't go to college and weren't skilled enough for a well-paying trade, dropped out of college/high-school, or are going to college and have better things to do than do the menial job that only pays half the rent.

Whatever they've done with their life up to that point, the best they managed to get was a minimum-wage service job with no career prospects, that pays less than they can live on. Why would they be alert or pay attention, when in their case paying attention means being aware of their own misery, and it won't get them any advancement for their effort?

If there's one thing that's different between the older and younger generations (and I'm speaking from the viewpoint of a member of the latter group) is that the younger people have lost the impulse to feel and seek satisfaction for a job well-done, just for it's own sake. I don't know why that is, but I definitely think it's a real thing.

Do you think the reason could be that they are too busy on social media or cell phones could be at cause of this. It seems younger adults  get bored very easily  and need to do a couple of things at a time to keep them busy instead of concentrating on 1 issue at a time.

As you stated, you are a person of age i am referring to, are well educated and are NOT one of them. TYVM for that  :)

To me, it is up to the individual to better themselves if they dont want menial jobs weather (whether...joke)  they are young or older. JMO.

Beleive me, I am a very simple man and in no means consider myself to be very smart.

1 hour ago, Betts1964 said:

Do you think the reason could be that they are too busy on social media or cell phones could be at cause of this. It seems younger adults  get bored very easily  and need to do a couple of things at a time to keep them busy instead of concentrating on 1 issue at a time.

As you stated, you are a person of age i am referring to, are well educated and are NOT one of them. TYVM for that  :)

I'd say it's part cause and part symptom? To me all that stuff is a distraction – at this point the internet is a whole world unto itself. It's very easy to get absorbed by the world behind the screen, and that also provides a nifty way to divest yourself from reality. Bottom line is if you have important things to do, or things you feel are important, you can't hang out on the internet all day long, unless the internet is your actual job. An idle mind is the devil's plaything, and all that. However, it's much easier for most people to live vicariously behind a keyboard and criticise others than it is to be critical of themselves in their daily life. The web is also a great vehicle for rancour, pulling people apart, stoking divisions and pushing normal people to extremes. But it's also exhausting, so there could be some inverse dynamic at play – people tire themselves out in this hypnotic online tap-dancing routine that they have no energy left for real life?

Another thing that's part of internet culture (maybe it's better to say that the internet just amplifies our natural impulses) is an overwhelming sense of entitlement and a very rigid, non-compromising attitude with nothing to back it up. I'd be willing to bet you could get most "zoned out" folks' attention, if not make them downright furious if you only found their particular "button". It could be something small like their attitude on eating meat, to weightier matters like their choice of presidential candidate, or their attitude on the ongoing protests? They might know next to nothing about the state of the world, the failures of global policy, the political crises that are rocking democracies worldwide, that could have huge implications on their lives and the lives of their offspring, but you can bet they have scores of (usually very shallow) internet-transmitted opinions on a bunch of complex issues that they have absorbed, and now hold sacred, to the point of conflict.

A very good topic for discussion. While we all love the new technology for it's many uses

and conveniences and how it has improved many aspects of daily life, we have to recognize

that there is a down side to it also. The "anonymity" afforded by the internet has unleashed 

the ugly beast inside a lot of people and they have no hesitation in insulting, mocking and

even threatening other people....and yes, it is mostly the younger generations that are the

guilty ones (mostly, but not all of them). Forty years ago who would have imagined kids

with their own phones, own computers, own blogs etc? While I admire the digital ability and

knowledge of the younger generation I fear that if you take away their digital world they have

very little to offer society. They seem to be obsessed with being "liked" by digital strangers and

fell hurt or even depressed if they are not "popular". It's all "look at me, look at me, I'm cool".

There's something missing in their lives if they need "likes" by strangers. Bad manners is "in",

mocking others is "in"....all from an anonymous distance. We now have "cyber bullying" and

"keyboard hard men" as part of our 21st century vocabulary. As was mentioned above, they have lost

the basic skills like counting without using a calculator. I go into a shop and buy something at

500 pesos and 2 other things at 300 pesos each and I hand the shop assistant a 2,000 peso

note, and she reaches for her calculator to work out my change....that example happens again and

again in many different places. When I was a kid in Primary school (yes I know, the "when I was a kid"

lecture that our parents gave us), the teacher had us stand up and do mental arithmetic calculations,

no using a pencil and paper, no calculator, just your brain. These younger generations don't have the

attention span and patience that my generation HAD to have in order to get on in the world. I sound like

an old grouch, but really I'm not. I love today's technology...but like all things we should control it and

not the other way around.:w00t::w00t::w00t:

25 minutes ago, funkyy said:

A very good topic for discussion. While we all love the new technology for it's many uses

and conveniences and how it has improved many aspects of daily life, we have to recognize

that there is a down side to it also. The "anonymity" afforded by the internet has unleashed 

the ugly beast inside a lot of people and they have no hesitation in insulting, mocking and

even threatening other people....and yes, it is mostly the younger generations that are the

guilty ones (mostly, but not all of them). Forty years ago who would have imagined kids

with their own phones, own computers, own blogs etc? While I admire the digital ability and

knowledge of the younger generation I fear that if you take away their digital world they have

very little to offer society. They seem to be obsessed with being "liked" by digital strangers and

fell hurt or even depressed if they are not "popular". It's all "look at me, look at me, I'm cool".

There's something missing in their lives if they need "likes" by strangers. Bad manners is "in",

mocking others is "in"....all from an anonymous distance. We now have "cyber bullying" and

"keyboard hard men" as part of our 21st century vocabulary. As was mentioned above, they have lost

the basic skills like counting without using a calculator. I go into a shop and buy something at

500 pesos and 2 other things at 300 pesos each and I hand the shop assistant a 2,000 peso

note, and she reaches for her calculator to work out my change....that example happens again and

again in many different places. When I was a kid in Primary school (yes I know, the "when I was a kid"

lecture that our parents gave us), the teacher had us stand up and do mental arithmetic calculations,

no using a pencil and paper, no calculator, just your brain. These younger generations don't have the

attention span and patience that my generation HAD to have in order to get on in the world. I sound like

an old grouch, but really I'm not. I love today's technology...but like all things we should control it and

not the other way around.:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Wow, I couldnt agree with you more. To me, IMO, you hit the nail right on the head. Very wise person. Kudos to you. I know, weird word but I still use it. Not sure of today's younger generation.

40 minutes ago, funkyy said:

A very good topic for discussion. While we all love the new technology for it's many uses and conveniences and how it has improved many aspects of daily life, we have to recognize that there is a down side to it also. The "anonymity" afforded by the internet has unleashed the ugly beast inside a lot of people and they have no hesitation in insulting, mocking and even threatening other people....and yes, it is mostly the younger generations that are the guilty ones (mostly, but not all of them).

We all realise and acknowledge that it's never close to 100% of all young people everywhere, but we are dealing with a combination of different bad influences converging upon young minds all at once, without proper safeguards or guidance. While I am a part of the younger crowd, I'm not that young so as to have grown up with smartphones, or even the internet, which in my book is a huge blessing. It's a great advantage to be able to see the web as a tool, and not as an extension of who you are as a person. That enables you to have a critical distance from it, and observe what occurs there as separate from reality.

What little I see of the younger people who were born into the web, I am truly worried. While gullibility and vulnerability exist in every age group, I don't believe they were ever so easily exploitable as in the internet age. Without that critical stance, it's all open season for bad actors, and I think the consequences of the online-only generation mentality are already rearing their ugly head. That's the reason why I'm worried for the future. It's not the "boomers" that scare me, it's what might happen when the loudmouths from my generation and younger get to positions of power and influence. I don't think democracy is ready for those bozos.

Alanon, I agree with you 100%.......and your last sentence has been proven already...in the Whitehouse.:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Is the younger generation,  not all but most, getting dumber as the current years proceed in time?

Smart Phones and the Internet made them Dumb. AI will make them Dumber.

13 hours ago, Alanon said:

We all realise and acknowledge that it's never close to 100% of all young people everywhere, but we are dealing with a combination of different bad influences converging upon young minds all at once, without proper safeguards or guidance. While I am a part of the younger crowd, I'm not that young so as to have grown up with smartphones, or even the internet, which in my book is a huge blessing. It's a great advantage to be able to see the web as a tool, and not as an extension of who you are as a person. That enables you to have a critical distance from it, and observe what occurs there as separate from reality.

What little I see of the younger people who were born into the web, I am truly worried. While gullibility and vulnerability exist in every age group, I don't believe they were ever so easily exploitable as in the internet age. Without that critical stance, it's all open season for bad actors, and I think the consequences of the online-only generation mentality are already rearing their ugly head. That's the reason why I'm worried for the future. It's not the "boomers" that scare me, it's what might happen when the loudmouths from my generation and younger get to positions of power and influence. I don't think democracy is ready for those bozos.

I just re-read this and you are completely right about what you said.

9 hours ago, pc71520 said:

AI will make them Dumber.

Lol, Never thought of that. Thar scares the crap out of me even more.

If not dumber, would you call it very lazy? As an example, I was in Target a few months ago looking at new tv's but didnt notice many on display. So i asked these 2 guys in their 20's if the had any out back and they said no so i left the store. As I am going to my car, I see this guy being helped by another guy in his 20's putting a 50 to 60 inch tv is his car so I asked him if they had any tv's not on display and he replied we have plenty so I went back to guys that told me what the other guy said and they gave me the type of look where they actually had do some "work" to go out back and look so I just let them do that and I left the store.

It's getting to the point of either being dumb or lazy or both. Plz just remember I said most, not all, are like this.

9 minutes ago, aum said:

Welcome to the digital age (geared to more and more comfort ...  laziness ... dumbness ... numbness ... ?).

Sad but so very true.

• 2 weeks later...

one generation complaining about another...........to funny

Funny how things go a full circle

Me thinks this discussion is old as mankind, to quote superman the son becomes the father and vice versa :)

On 8/26/2020 at 11:44 PM, Betts1964 said:

I live in the USA and I am wondering if anyone besides me notice that most people, not all, under the age of 35 are getting dumber? Every time i call a dept store, phone company..whatever business, I have to explain things 5 times before they understand what i am saying or they have to get or i have to ask for a supervisor. I go to a supermarket and many times people have given me the wrong change, cant use their minds figuring it out or whatever. I am talking about very basic things.

unfortunatelly  u just gettin' older  & life  around  may to  become   pissin' u off  more than previously.  conflict of generations was is and will, in any country .

• 2 weeks later...

Its not so much dumber as a different style of understanding of how life works for them as opposed to you , As an example its a bit like saying you hate modern music as it has no character or soul. Does that remind you of something your parents might say to you?

• 5 weeks later...

I agree that the younger generation, not all but most, getting dumber. As for me, this is all because the younger generation has too much free time, and their parents don't instill in them a love of knowledge—the same as they don't devote enough time to their kids since they are frequently at work. And degradation is always more fun than learning something new. But that's just my opinion.

Marcus Thunder

I totally disagree with almost all of you. The question above was discussed in the movie Idiocracy (2006), back then there was no social media and smart phones and the topics they dealt with at that time were pron, junk food and shows like Jackass, prank shows and stunt shows making the generation so fat and dumb.

I would like to believe that times are always are at an equilibrium when situations get rock bottom then a revolutionary wave of awareness and solidarity starts to arise. At one time, being nerd was not cool then it was followed by the time to study look being sexy and popular. At one time, hip hop music encouraged violence towards women and people with different sexual orientations, then it was followed by the feminist movement. I won't talk much about the "Black" people issue, but if we take Germany as an example. You will realize that although there is a strong far right movement there is also a strong rasta movement embraced by white Germans interested in Reggae music.

The current situation would be followed by offline bedrooms, cafes and hotels. Trump made lots of people interested in politics because anybody can do better.

On 8/26/2020 at 9:44 PM, Betts1964 said:

Hello my friend, I think you are correct in not that people are getting dumber, but more lazy. The younger generation tends to rely on their smartphones or other gadgets to do all the work for them, so they have lost the way on how to do math calculations in their head. Additionally, people want things like NOW, so time is money and all that good speech, adding to the pressure of things need to be instant.

Thanks and a good discussion.

I don't live in the USA, but in my country (Brazil) people are getting dumber because education is becoming more of a luxury each day instead of a basic human right. Poor citizens learn how to read, how to count, and that's it. With dumber citizens, the less you need as a governor to do for them to get political power and become filthy rich with public money. I had a hard time making my way into college, having to balance work and school as a young teen because I needed the money and the experience to survive on this harsh cruel world. Not only that, but consider how many teens and young adults have depression nowadays — this stuff wrecks your brain, I used to be an A+ only student, now I stick with the mediocre because my life is a mess. There are so many things that imply worse logical thinking, some way more serious than just simplifying with "those pesky teens and their instagrams lol". Anyway, it's a great debate topic and it's nice to hear other people's opinions. It's not that big of a deal being dumb anyway, as long as you do your best, treat others respectfully and be open to learn new things. Being smart is actually anxiety-inducing and overrated! Take that advice from someone with a degree, high GPA and an important job position at 21, all conquered with blood sweat and tears, but constantly wants to die every single day.

(PS: I am on therapy, if someone out there gets worried. I'll be fine someday, I hope!)

• 4 weeks later...

When I was 39 (over 20 years ago) a very wise man told me that "everyone under 40 is an idiot". I have found this to be almost universally true, and my research tells me it has always been so.

As for people 40 and over, well most of them are idiots as well :)

Archived