What is Kape Technologies? What you need to know about the parent company of CyberGhost VPN

That's interesting. I suppose we would need to know how a change in ownership affects a subsidiary's policies and development, and would/will the fact Kape owns CyberGhost change anything? The implication of the objection seems to be that the parent company could influence its subsidiary in some nefarious way. But if they were to start mining user-data, for example,  they would have to do so illegally and without changing their ToS and policies, which would pretty much end the VPN company for good, if uncovered.

As more and more VPNs seem to consolidate into conglomerates, some probably owned by shady parent companies, won't the reliable options shrink? It's already getting inconvenient with the Five and however-many-eyes initiatives out there, with more sure to come in the future. After reading this article, the main question I'm left with is – what is the value of non-absolute privacy? If data is potentially compromised either way, is it better to have a shady company own the VPN and perhaps use the data for their purposes, as long as they're not cooperating with governments we explicitly want to hide from?

• Like 3
Moist_nugget

There will always be new, independent VPN providers who will be the new favorites for reviewers and voke customers for some time until some bigger corporation buys their business. Right now that would be Ivacy, which is based in Singapore. I think the smaller VPN providers could be viewed as more trustworthy in a sense that they really have to compete with their features and quality, because the number of users is initially too low to gain meaningful user data (via mining). Also, any kind of data privacy scandal would pull the rug under their feet before they even got fully going. Although shady companies would most likely rename themselves and keep on trying.

Regarding the question about the user data being compromised by governmental agents or gathered by a corporation: I believe the government could just buy the data from the company if they were "shady"  enough to begin with. 

Thinking about the VPN provider's country of origin, a privacy focused person would of course want to avoid Western nations that have signed intelligence data sharing agreements or countries that are affected by totalitarian leadership (for example Russia and China).  But what about the data center quality standards and the local jurisdiction regarding data handlers responsibilities? I would trust European authorities' auditions more than those happening in some countries where corruption is more prevalent. The VPN provider might not be ill-intending but the facilities could be vulnerable to 3rd party attacks (including physical ones) in less developed countries or maybe the local lax laws would make the provider not-so-serious about the issues. This also makes me doubtful of any VPN company who promote they have thousands of server locations available – how can they ensure they're safe? 

• Like 2