Weird problem in laptop!

ThE iNsAnE

3 hours ago, DLord said:

Come On Reaction GIF

Seriously bro...they can't even keep all the screws properly. Some screws will go missing everytime a technician opens up the machine. 

They are very renowned repair shop here and they took 3 attempts to assemble the parts. First try the touchpad was not working. Second the touchpad worked but the sound was gone. Third and final, everything worked except my primary issues of display and reboot 😁

My laptop rested for 12 hours and guess what after 12 hours when i powered it on, the laptop booted in one go and the freaking display also worked!!!

I am really frustrated as to what the hell is happening. Yesterday the tech tried everything but the display didn't work. And today it started on its own. Again it will stop working after sometime i am sure.

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/11/2020 at 3:34 PM, ThE iNsAnE said:

Seriously bro...they can't even keep all the screws properly. Some screws will go missing everytime a technician opens up the machine. 

They are very renowned repair shop here and they took 3 attempts to assemble the parts. First try the touchpad was not working. Second the touchpad worked but the sound was gone. Third and final, everything worked except my primary issues of display and reboot 😁

My laptop rested for 12 hours and guess what after 12 hours when i powered it on, the laptop booted in one go and the freaking display also worked!!!

I am really frustrated as to what the hell is happening. Yesterday the tech tried everything but the display didn't work. And today it started on its own. Again it will stop working after sometime i am sure.

Dude, I cannot comment about the repair shops around you but I thought you got my point of using a legit repair center (real expert), even if it means for you to ship your laptop to another area.  I am sure there must be a well certified center somewhere around, even better the Sony service/repair center.

But back to the issue, as we started with the boot issue that pointed to CMOS battery (at least in my humble opinion) and then this display issue, I suspect there is some serious hardware issue, more likely something major, perhaps even motherboard.  If it was me, I would not bother with the machine no more since such problems are hard and expensive to solve and most times it makes more sense to buy a new laptop, but that's me. 

Like I said before, further analysis of the problem is almost impossible through a forum discussion.  So once again look for a real, legit, certified repair center and the best option would be the Sony service center obviously.

4 hours ago, DLord said:

Dude, I cannot comment about the repair shops around you but I thought you got my point of using a legit repair center (real expert), even if it means for you to ship your laptop to another area.  I am sure there must be a well certified center somewhere around, even better the Sony service/repair center.

But back to the issue, as we started with the boot issue that pointed to CMOS battery (at least in my humble opinion) and then this display issue, I suspect there is some serious hardware issue, more likely something major, perhaps even motherboard.  If it was me, I would not bother with the machine no more since such problems are hard and expensive to solve and most times it makes more sense to buy a new laptop, but that's me. 

Like I said before, further analysis of the problem is almost impossible through a forum discussion.  So once again look for a real, legit, certified repair center and the best option would be the Sony service center obviously.

Yes i guess its a motherboard issue itself.

The official sony service centre refused to accept it as they said the support for this old model has ended.

I might have to shift to another machine now. As it was my first laptop, i was reluctant to change it.

Ifketak Khan

it is a mother board problem , you had actually no hope getting this back . i am dealing with such situation for  14 years . save your data and if important for you , convert the hdd to a portable drive ,, i don't have further hope of using anything else of the device . using the ram to similar devices is possible.

@DLord needed to give you another update.

I guess you are completely aware of the situation of my old machine. I have got a new machine for my main work. However i have not disposed the Vaio laptop. 

Now i was using windows 8 till now in my vaio laptop. Two main issues were the boot problem ( which we agreed upon on the CMOS battery) and the intermittent laptop display problem. External works fine all the time and internal works sometimes and goes off remaining times. When the internal display goes off, even the vaio boot logo or bios display will not work.

I tried removing hard disk and booting just the bios. Also swapped another hard disk and tried. If display is gone, it will not work no matter what you do. 

A week back, i freshly installed widows 10 to that machine. Now after installation i have seen something strange. If suppose the display is not working, the vaio logo will not appear on boot, if i start the bios settings also the display will be off. However as soon as windows 10 login screen boots, the display appears!! 

During windows 8 times, When everything seemed fine, during boot vaio logo will come. However when display was gone, vaio logo will not appear, windows will boot, external display would work but laptop display would never work.

With windows 10, when vaio logo doesn't come, the screen remain completely dark even without any backlight but suddenly will pop up on windows 10 login screen. Sounds strange right?

Just for curiosity sake i wanted to discuss this although i have no hope of retaining the machine for long. Still this issue just intrigued me. 

15 hours ago, ThE iNsAnE said:

However as soon as windows 10 login screen boots, the display appears!! 

This is the stage when Windows loads the main graphics driver (not the native one).

But when it comes to your old laptop, only God knows what's going on with that old machine.  Maybe it's possessed!  :D

Whoopenstein

Not sure if this laptop uses an inverter board for the display backlight , but sometimes those go bad. The LCD backlight might be bad too. It sounds like  a component is intermittently shorting and causing the shutdown. It's a process of elimination.  Disconnect anything that can be unplugged and still be able to boot. Disconnect any drives (hard or optical), disconnect monitor and inverter board. Boot from flash drive or external DVD drive with a live version of Linux. Use external monitor. Boot several times (if it works at all). If it seems good, re-connect one device at a time until you find the culprit. If it still craps out after unplugging those things, there's something wrong on the MB. Also, the obvious things to check is a plugged up fan/heatsink and a bad power cord or the power connector on the motherboard itself has a cracked solder joint.

Archived