trs80-i.jpg

Released Aug 3, 1977.

The TRS-80 turns 43 years old

Anyone else remember the "Trash-80"?

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you've made me feel old! I remember this being launched (just) and advertised in the electronics magazines of the day, or maybe Byte.

Actual, paper magazines... that brings back memories too. Coming home from school with that month's Elektor, Practical Electronics and Byte, picked up from the newsagent's on the way. I'm sure there was another computer mag, but I don't recall it.

5 hours ago, Mutton said:

I'm sure there was another computer mag, but I don't recall it.

There were a few others, one that I'll never forget was called Dr Dobb's Journal of Computer Callisthenics and Orthodontia , still have a few here.

Others from late '70s were Kilobaud, Interface Age, Recreational Computing, People's Computers. Still have some of those too. :blush:

5 hours ago, Karlston said:

There were a few others, one that I'll never forget was called Dr Dobb's Journal of Computer Callisthenics and Orthodontia , still have a few here.

I never came across that one. The one I was not recalling was Personal Computer World. I remember that there seemed to be more computer magazines popped up in the late 70's/early 80's than you could poke a stick at. Most of them barely lasted a year.

Those days were fun; always a new machine coming out: 68000 CPU systems with UNIX variant OSs capable of running 16 terminals, upgrading RAM to 64kB by soldering in the DRAMs, floppy disk drives that you could reprogram to play tunes by varying the motor speed and head ticking... yeah, loads of fun to be had. And proper, clicky keyboard switches (and squidgy rubber ones)!

I dumped all of mine when we moved house a few years back. I kept them in whisky and wine boxes (just the right size) and had about 15 boxes full, stacked in the loft. No joking, they had actually made the ceiling sag!

I had one of these...and now feel older, thanks!

Me and friend wasted a whole weekend typing so many rows/lines of basic, to make a pentagram dance in light (stuff was pretty static back then) to Motley Crue's, Shout at the Devil.

Although cool at the time, I appreciate the ease of technology today.

EDIT: wow just looked at the pic again, man that looks ancient.

Archived