How To Remove A Ghost Drive

uffbros

I just noticed in file explorer I have a drive letter assignment for E drive named CD Drive. I have no CD drive. When I right click and select eject I get the below error. I only have a C and a D drive. How can I get rid of this ghost drive or entry??? Disk management has nothing listed either. Google was of no help.

Annotation 2020-08-02 235325.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, uffbros said:

I just noticed in file explorer I have a drive letter assignment for E drive named CD Drive. I have no CD drive. When I right click and select eject I get the below error. I only have a C and a D drive. How can I get rid of this ghost drive or entry??? Disk management has nothing listed either. Google was of no help.

Try the following:

• Create backup
  • Use Shadow Defender - enter Shadow Mode
  • Open Device Manager - Disable virtual drive

https://www.ghacks.net/2011/06/28/how-to-delete-virtual-drives-after-software-uninstallation/

4 hours ago, uffbros said:

If it was a previously mounted drive,

Open Registry editor and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

Simply delete the previously mounted problem drive.

I do NOT have a CD drive..thus there is nothing to remove. Disk management there is just my 2 hard drives...thus nothing to remove..I have Power Iso but never use the virtual drive thing..But I checked it and it is basically turned off. I tried the registry thing and deleted the E drive letter and rebooted..It's still there.

it seems that you have a drive mounted through PowerISO so you have to make sure that the drive is disabled.

Open PowerISO, go to "mount" then select "set number of drives" and make sure it is on "Disable"

if ot does not work, uninstall PowerISO and install it again, it should fix the issue.

Power Iso is and always was set at disable virtual drive. But I also did as you said and it still appears

Try this, copy these lines through Powershell :

$driveEject = New-Object -comObject Shell.Application

$driveEject.Namespace(17).ParseName("E:").InvokeVerb("Eject")

It seems that this trick removes virtual CD-ROM drive.

@mp68terr.....I have no CD/DVD on this machine. I was guided to this article that seems revelent but nothing worked there. I have system restore disabled as I use Macrium image. I guess I can go back to 7-20-20 and all will be ok..But anyone running Win 10 2004 and update from 421 to 423 built I think this is where the problem lies. https://windowsreport.com/non-existent-cd-drive-rtl_ul/

@uffbros,

Got your point, but not using w10 here.

The question was very basic. Even if you don't have any CD/DVD device on your machine, was wondering if the bios is assigning a letter to it. As a first step.

If win10 assign a letter to a non-existing device, well, there is clearly one more problem with this os.

Since you have a backup of your system, did you try another os to see if the error is still there?

6 minutes ago, mehdibleu said:

Have you tried the solution i posted in my previous message ?

Yes..After I entered the second command I get the same error as I get when I try to eject by right clicking that drive and selecting eject

@mp68terr....I am not going to install 2004 423 on any other machine to screw them up as well. I believe this is a problem with update 2004 423. I will revert back to a 2 week old image

On 8/4/2020 at 4:25 AM, uffbros said:

Yes..After I entered the second command I get the same error as I get when I try to eject by right clicking that drive and selecting eject

@mp68terr....I am not going to install 2004 423 on any other machine to screw them up as well. I believe this is a problem with update 2004 423. I will revert back to a 2 week old image

Did you try my suggestion above and the delete 'E' from MountPoints2?

Here is an example image, except I am pointing to my old 'G' drive.

MountPoints2.png

I don't know if you have used PowerISO or not, but it certainly causes this problem after mounting a drive.

Uninstalling PowerISO doesn't help as the Registry entry still remains.

@Stig...Look up at post #6 where I stated I deleted E drive from that registry location.

Macrium saved the day..I went back 2 weeks and all is well.

Archived