CCleaner is now deleting synched Firefox extension data

Karlston

Microsoft has never been a fan of “registry cleaner” CCleaner and now the company has just given Microsoft another reason to keep it in its black books.

The latest public version of CCleaner has been found to delete synched Firefox extensions setting and other data.

This is due to a change in where Firefox  79 stores extension data when you are synching two PCs with Firefox, with the data now being stored in the Profile directory. Unfortunately, CCleaner routinely deletes the contents of the Profile directory, meaning your Extensions data and setting and constantly being deleted.

CCleaner-cleaning-Firefox-Internet-cache

While this may seem like an honest mistake, the issue has been reported to Piriform in July when Firefox was in Beta, but no action had been taken by the company, with users now losing data with the final release of Firefox 79.

[Please read updated information a few posts down]

The solution is of course to uninstall CCleaner, but if for some reason you wish to continue using it, you can exclude the relevant files (Storage-sync-v2-sqlite-shm and storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal ) from the daily purge by going to CCleaner > Options > Excludes > Add > File and adding:

Exclude1=PATH|%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\|*.sqlite-shm;*.sqlite-wal||0|0|24

via Techdows

ThanksForReading200x49.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, I recently posted that after upgrading Firefox to version 79.0 all my NoScript settings had been cleared

and I had to go through my bookmarks one by one and reset the permissions (trusted, temp trusted and untrusted).

I blamed the Firefox upgrade, but it looks like the culprit may have been CCleaner.

Anyway, since I was having "hanging" problems with CCleaner at that time, I uninstalled it and am now using

Privazer portable version and am quite happy with it.:dance::dance::dance:

coromonadalix

Cleano last update  2013 ??? are you sure you want to test it ??  download link on the main web page are dead .. i wont thrust other links

7 hours ago, coromonadalix said:

Cleano last update  2013 ??? are you sure you want to test it ??  download link on the main web page are dead .. i wont thrust other links

Old doesn't mean it won't work.  Need to test it on your system.  Trust other links, like Softpedia.  I prefer getting my freeware files from them because they claim to check them before they host them and make sure they are clean.  Never had a problem with a file from them.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/Cleano.shtml

The original Techdows article CCleaner is wiping Firefox Extensions Settings, how to fix has been updated....

Fix

You need to exclude Storage-sync-v2-sqlite-shm and storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal files from cleaning. You can say this to CCleaner by adding the following to the CCleaner.ini file or you can add those two files in Exclude dialog.

exclude sqlite shm and sqlite wal files in CCleaner

Exclude1=PATH|%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\|*.sqlite-shm;*.sqlite-wal||0|0|24

Are you affected?

UPDATE August 3, 2020: Updated the instructions in the article to suggest exclude files command should be added to ccleaner.ini file instead of to files in Exclude UI of CCleaner options.

Thanks to @straycat19 for the info.

On 8/3/2020 at 12:20 PM, coromonadalix said:

You rather trust Crap cleaner that take your data. like telemetry and etc? This is year 2020 old ver of ccleaner is trustworthy a hundred times.

v5.70.7909 (06 Aug 2020)

Important information for Firefox users

If you use Firefox with a Firefox account, we strongly recommend that you update CCleaner to version 5.70 before cleaning. This version of CCleaner fixes an issue that can cause extension settings to be lost in Firefox.

Important fix for Firefox users

- Fixed a bug where CCleaner could wipe extension settings in Firefox if using a Firefox account

Archived