Windows Defender now labels CCleaner as a Potentially Unwanted Application

Karlston

Microsoft did not explain why it made the decision, but the company has never been a fan of registry cleaners.

CCleaner has in the past been compromised to deliver malware to Windows PCs, but this is some years ago, and a bit long to hold a grudge. There have also been some issues with CCleaner not being compatible with Windows 10, though those issues have now been fixed.

In general, however, CCleaner provides features which are already built into Windows 10 and is somewhat redundant in this day and age.  Nevertheless, the company will probably not be happy with Microsoft taking such direct action against it.

via BleepingComputer

Windows Defender now labels CCleaner as a Potentially Unwanted Application

ThanksForReading200x49.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
zanderthunder

Now want to know how Avast will react to it, since they owned Piriform.

And if Microsoft really want to target CCleaner just to promote their "Disk Cleanup" functionality in Windows 10, they should have first make their "Disk Cleanup" much better than CCleaner.

Btw, I don't trust Defender due to false positive cases, I used Kaspersky instead.

4 hours ago, zanderthunder said:

Btw, I don't trust Defender due to false positive cases, I used Kaspersky instead.

Except the difference in false positives between the two is extremely little to none. Sounds like a case of different user settings between the two causing the additional false positives. Regardless, even if there was some major difference (and there's not), I'd personally rather have a couple false positives now and then and see "Hey, this MIGHT be a bad file.", over not seeing any possible infection notification whatsoever.

Also, I just scanned the CCleaner installer and it's installed directory. Windows Defender did not detect anything at all.

Scanned latest version of CCleaner portable on Windows Insider Preview 20180. Passed. No threats detected.

Well... ccleaner is an unwanted application but there's no other choice than to use it. Since avast took over piriform, ccleaner is more crap than cleaner.

Will someone help me with ideas to develop a better application than ccleaner? (no spying, no bloatware, multiple flavors/platforms, better UI/UX, free).

@zanderthunder Why the "Haha"? Because MS/Windows Defender didn't find anything in the scans? Or that Kaspersky is for the most part 0 percent better than MS/Windows Defender?

I agree with this. Ccleaner is unwanted adware/spyware, and if used incorrectly, malware.

2 hours ago, spudboy said:

Why the "Haha"?

“Foolish people laugh at things they do not understand, producing the sound of braying donkeys.”― Wayne Gerard Trotman

1 hour ago, banned said:

I agree with this. Ccleaner is unwanted adware/spyware, and if used incorrectly, malware.

I agree too. Used Ccleaner once and I had to use a backup because it screwed something up.

On 7/31/2020 at 5:43 AM, banned said:

No. User error does not equal malware.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:12 AM, lurch234 said:

I agree too. Used Ccleaner once and I had to use a backup because it screwed something up.

You used it ONCE and it screwed something up, yet I've used it for around 12-13 years and it's never screwed up anything. Not one single time. <personal attack removed> it's your own fault for deleting something you shouldn't have. That's about as smart as manually going into the registry and deleting random things when you have no idea what they are. That's not the fault of CCleaner.

leapinlizards

I have stayed with version 5.54.7088.

I use it only for cleaning junk and I never use registry cleaners.

I am using eset endpoint security, and block it with the firewall.

no problems

Until last week I had always used CCleaner without any major problem. Then, in the last two versions

it started to hang for aaaages. I uninstalled used the portable versions (various) and the same pattern

repeated i.e. it worked for a few days then the GUI just hung. I added lines to my Hosts file as per the

suggestion of one of the posters on Nsane...still didn't work. I scanned and checked my system to see

if anything I had recently installed was conflicting with CCleaner.And I repeat, I tried various versions from

different sources, installed and portable, but it just refused to behave.

So, I now use Privazer. I'll deep clean once a week with that.:dance::dance::dance:

Using neither w10 nor defender.

Is there no way to customize the av by adding some kind of whitelist or removing items from the defender blacklist?

39 minutes ago, mp68terr said:

Using neither w10 nor defender.

Is there no way to customize the av by adding some kind of whitelist or removing items from the defender blacklist?

Yes, it can be whitelisted. Although there's no reason to since it's not being detected.

13 hours ago, spudboy said:

You're either lying,

What's your problem!? I was merely echoing @banned  opinion that it could have the effects of malware if used incorrectly. Which I did.

4 hours ago, lurch234 said:

What's your problem!? I was merely echoing @banned  opinion that it could have the effects of malware if used incorrectly. Which I did.

No, you agreed that it is unwanted adware/spyware, and if used incorrectly, malware. Both of which are incorrect statements because 1) If a person willfully installs something, it's not unwanted and 2) User error does not in any way, shape, or form equate malware. I also don't believe that someone used it a single time and screwed something up. You can be upset if you want, but it won't change that I don't believe you. Not everyone is always going to believe or agree with you. Shrug.

On 7/30/2020 at 7:58 AM, spudboy said:

... Also, I just scanned the CCleaner installer and it's installed directory. Windows Defender did not detect anything at all.

On the other hand, worth knowing is that not all installers are blocked, as Piriform, the Avast-owned maker of CCleaner, is also offering separate packages that come without any other programs offered to users during the installation.

zanderthunder
22 minutes ago, aum said:

On the other hand, worth knowing is that not all installers are blocked, as Piriform, the Avast-owned maker of CCleaner, is also offering separate packages that come without any other programs offered to users during the installation.

I think what you are referring to, is CCleaner Slim. Which is basically, only CCleaner is installed without any extra downloads or bundles.

This is actually I preferred the most, rather than the bloated installer.

What about the portable version then?

Not even installed, likely not detected by defender. Not taking the risk to install unwanted apps when there is a portable version.

Archived