Need program to edit and cut small movie bits from large movie files

per

I have digitized family films and will cut out and edit these films. And finally put together all the small clips into one big file.

I need a very simple program to use to edit and cut small movie bits from large movie files.

I want to cut a large movie file into many small pieces and then save this edited files to disk.

Which program is recommended to use for an amateur. A simple and straightforward program without too much nonsense

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mp4joiner.org/

MP4Tools is a collection of cross-platform free tools to manipulate MP4 files. It contains following applications:

• MP4Joiner is a free application that allows join multiple MP4 files into one without reencoding and without quality loss.
  • MP4Splitter is a free application that allows split a MP4 file in multiple files without reencoding and without quality loss

It is Open Source Software and is completely free.

LosslessCut aims to be the ultimate cross platform ffmpeg GUI for extremely fast and lossless operations on video, audio, subtitle and other related media files. The main feature is lossless trimming and cutting of video and audio files, which is great for saving space by rough-cutting your large video files taken from a video camera, GoPro, drone, etc. It lets you quickly extract the good parts from your videos and discard many gigabytes of data without doing a slow re-encode and thereby losing quality. Or you can add a music or subtitle track to your video without needing to encode. Everything is extremely fast because it does an almost direct data copy, fueled by the awesome ffmpeg which does all the grunt work.

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

On 4/25/2020 at 10:52 PM, BTJB said:

What kind of video editor is this without simple editing functions?

Is there a simpler and easier program to use. I'm trying to find one that I can edit family movies with.

A program that is so simple that even idiots can use it 😀

19 minutes ago, per said:

Is there a simpler and easier program to use. I'm trying to find one that I can edit family movies with.

A program that is so simple that even idiots can use it 😀

Yes. It works properly and moreover - it is free! Format Factory! Recommend it.

31 minutes ago, BTJB said:

Yes. It works properly and moreover - it is free! Format Factory! Recommend it.

Good. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try the program.

@per I moved your previous question to the Software Chat forum since it didn't have anything to do with the thread u originally posted the question in (CyberLink PowerDirector Ultimate 18.0.2725.0).

Yet instead of continuing in the new topic, you again asked basically the same question in the same topic. You have even posted in Frontpage Software Discussion. 

I have merged your new question with your previous one. If you find an answer helpful, remember to upvote it.

On 7/27/2020 at 6:18 PM, sefton22 said:

http://www.mp4joiner.org/

MP4Tools is a collection of cross-platform free tools to manipulate MP4 files. It contains following applications:

I have to start by apologizing for all the mess I make. It is not on purpose 🙂

Thank you very much for that. Maybe these are the two programs I need. I'll try them out.

I have previously tried a few programs without success. Some will not load the files and some others are completely useless to edit with.

The programs I have tried are; AviDemux, this would not load the files. MiniTool Movie Maker; Absolutely impossible to edit with. CyberLink PowerDirector; You need to now data very well to use this. Too complicated. Wondershare; Same as CyberLink. And sorry to say that. Another program that I was recommended,! Format Factory, did not work well either.
Movavi Video Editor; Useless to edit different files out of one large file.

I just switched operating system to Windows 10 LTSC. I used Windows 7 before and then I used an excellent program called SolveigMM Video Splitter. I'm not getting this program to work now. It loads the files. But in the middle of editing, the program collapses.

It's such a simple program I'm looking for. in SolveigMM Video Splitter you simply put a point where you want to start the clip and then you put an end point. This is how you continue throughout the whole movie from which you want to take different clipsout of 

And when you have finished editing the entire file with many small clip, you save all these edited clips that are from the same movie file to one file. Then you have edited out many different clips of a large movie file. You put a beginning point and an end point on each clip that you want to take out of the main file and then you save all the clips in a file.

I'm not looking to edit one clip at a time out of a movie.  All of these programs can do that. I want to easily edit many clips from a main movie and then save all these clips together as is done in SolveigMM Video Splitter. The simplest and easiest program I have ever used to edit movies with. But which unfortunately does not work for me now

7 hours ago, BTJB said:

@per you need VideoReDo - the most wanted and easy without re-encode.

I'll try out the program. Good that you're trying to help

• 3 weeks later...

I have now tried the vast majority of video etiting program to cut small movie bite out of an entire movie.

Here I have to complaint to those who make such programs. Why the hell do they make the programs that are supposed to make such a simple task so damn advanced. You have to spend hours getting to know the program and still it does not work well.

Why not make it as easy as SolveigMM Video Splitter. It is the simplest and best program I have used.

Did not work on my newly installed windows 10 machine. Always used it in windows 7. So I had to try other programs. None of these programs were for ordinary people.

So I ended up with an old SolveigMM Video Splitter program. Strangely enough, it works fine.

Newer program of SolveigMM Video Splitter stops in the middle of editing and returns to the desktop.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

What does it mean to upvote my own post that "shamu726" told me to do

On 8/14/2020 at 11:16 PM, per said:

Why not make it as easy as SolveigMM Video Splitter. It is the simplest and best program I have used.

Did not work on my newly installed windows 10 machine. Always used it in windows 7. So I had to try other programs. None of these programs were for ordinary people.

So I ended up with an old SolveigMM Video Splitter program. Strangely enough, it works fine.

Newer program of SolveigMM Video Splitter stops in the middle of editing and returns to the desktop.

I agree with you, Solveigmm Video Splitter is very easy to use.

Have you tried the latest version of SolveigMM Video Splitter v7.4.2007.29 on your Windows 10?

In my case, Solveigmm v7 sometimes stops in the middle of editing / cutting videos. Here are my solutions to solve this issue

* Solution A: Using old version of SolveigMM v6.1.1811.19

* Solution B:

- Step 1: Download and install freeware AviDemux and MKVToolnix

- Step 2: Convert losslessly (without losing quality) your video to .ts, .mkv, .mp4. Then you will have 4 output files like this

YourVideo_ConvertByAviDemux.mp4

YourVideo_ConvertByAviDemux.mkv

YourVideo_ConvertByAviDemux.ts

YourVideo_ConvertByMKVToolnix.mkv

- Step 3: Try cutting / editing each of these 4 output by Solveigmm v7, if error occurs, try Solveigmm v6

* Solution C : Cutting your video by using programs (trialware) Fame-Ring SmartCutter or VideoRedo. SmartCutter is easier to use than VideoRedo. You may need 15 minutes to learn the basic usage of these programs.

Hi "doquan0" I switched to using SolveigMM v6. How difficult can it be to make it easy.

In SolveigMM v6 you mark a starting point where you want the movie to start and then you set an end point where you want the movie to end. Then you have cut out a clip of the film. And so you continue to cut further in the film. So you might end up with twenty cuts out of the movie. And then you download these twenty clips onto the machine in one clip.
I do not understand that everyone else should make things so damn advanced.

The other programs you mention I tried but it became too advanced to use for such a simple task.

I do not think I tried the very latest SolveigMM Video Splitter. But it was one with the number seven at least. I had cut out several files then the program just stopped working. Some of the other programs had problems or would not load the movies.

Step 1 I have not tried yet. Maybe I'm trying it too.

3 hours ago, per said:

Hi "doquan0" I switched to using SolveigMM v6. How difficult can it be to make it easy.

Hi "per"

I have the same thoughts like you about SolveigMM v6, v6 is not as convenient to use as v7.

At first, I only used SolveigMM to cut my videos, because the program is easy to use. However, SolveigMM frequently has errors in cutting some of my videos. Therefore, I had to search for other similar programs. Then, I found out AviDemux / MKVToolnix fixed the input video a little bit (without losinig video quality), and SolveigMM can cut the fixed videos normally

AviDemux / MKVToolnix is very easy to use, not advanced as you think. You open videos in AviDemux / MKVToolnix, convert to .ts, .mkv, .mp4. It takes under 1 minute even for 1GB video. Then, you continue to use SolveigMM to cut your videos.

Fame-Ring SmartCutter or VideoRedo is also quite easy. At the beginning, you may need around 10 minutes to be familiar with its features. Then, it takes you another 5 minutes to cut you videos with these programs. Some of my videos have failed with SolveigMM (even after being fixed by AviDemux / MKVToolnix),  but SmartCuttter / VideoRedo can cut these videos without error.

Again, please try the above programs. You may need these programs in case SolveigMM does not work.

Hi "doquan0"

I'll try out the programs this weekend I think. Then we'll see how it goes

I got a guy to redo all the old recordings. 8mm, HI8, VHS-C and VHS cassettes of home videos to MP4 video files. So now everyone is waiting for me to edit these video files. . Was not aware that there were so many large files out of all these old recordings. Almost 1.5 TB with video.  It may take a looong time.

Have a nice weekend  :cheers:   We must have something good to drink to move on. Homemade. Too bad you don't get to taste it  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Solveigmm was having crashing / freezing issues at odd instances. An uninstall and then re-install of Solveigmm sorted the issues out.

(I sometimes overlook the "simple" solutions while expecting something more involved.) This may help someone else...

Archived