Using NTLite old integration settings for new machine

coucou

Hello,
As I wrote here I broke my laptop and finally bought a new HP Probook 450 G7 laptop with Windows 10 family and will follow your advices by performing a fresh install.
2 years ago I used NTLite (paid license) to integrate Win10 Pro for the broken Asus.

So, I want to perform this fresh install of Win10 Pro using NTLite.  As I no longer remember the whole procedure,  How can I perform this installation using the old broken Asus settings NTLite (session.xml), knowing that it's not the same machine?

Here the situation:
1.    I downloaded from HP Assistance HP_Recovery which include Win10 Pro (v1903), drivers and HP apps.
2.    I run NTLite, select [preset] and import the old broken Asus session.xml
          Can I use this preset (Remove components, Configure, integrate…) even made for another machine?
3.    NTLite [Update section]: I downloaded v10.0.1909.x64, v10.0.2004.x64 and v10.0.2009.x64
          Do I have to install all these 3 versions or only the latest v10.0.2009.x64?

I'll really appreciate yr help
Regards

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AZwaffelForAWaff

I am very familiar with NTLite and I do not recommend to use old settings. I recommend my Safely-Ripped Steps:

0. Backup your system and files

1. Format drive and clean-install the OS

2. Updated OS, drivers, install frequently-used (or all) software, games

3. Configure OS, drivers, and frequently-used software, games

4. Apply your frequently-used tweaks

5. Make a new full OS backup from USB-bootable Acronis True Image or Macrium Backup

6. Rip the OS with NTLite

I wouldn't do the above steps in one day. Steps 2, 3, and 4 can take a week before you get them to where you've configured everything to your preference and haven't forgotten to do anything that you wouldn't want to do again...

Step 6 should be subdivided like this:

6a. Rip one section, save and custom-name the Sesssion.XML profile, clean the OS with CCleaner or whichever other registry cleaners, test your OS, drivers, software, and games for at least a few days for functionality and stability to make sure everything you want working is working, make a full backup of the OS

6b. Rip the next section, save and custom-name the Sesssion.XML profile, clean the OS with CCleaner or whichever other registry cleaners, test your OS, drivers, software, and games for at least a few days for functionality and stability to make sure everything you want working is working, make a full backup of the OS

6c. Repeat until happiness, preserve all the previous backups that you can, but definitely preserve the backup from Step 5 because a restoration of that backup is very likely if you decide to update the OS because NTLite tends to break OS update

I know it seems long and painful, but not doing the above can result in a clean NTLite-ripped OS that doesn't perform all the functions that a non-ripped OS can perform. Sometimes it takes a week to find that out. For example, I rarely print anything and last OS rip broke printer capabilities. With NTLite, it is all about trial and error and removal of just about any component can break something. It takes a while to test the OS to find out if something is supposed to be working, but is not working due to NTLite. In that case you should restore the fully functional OS and try again. The hardest part is finding out the component, removal of which breaks the OS.

To be fully safe, I suggest to not use NTLite for anything other than tweaks and settings. MSMG Toolkit is a much safer alternative.

coromonadalix

The problem(s) with the old profiles is: m$oft love to nag, change thing, registry keys,  etc ... etc ...  very often,  some old setting would not apply correctly, or even work .. on successive windows  has written in the previous post,  someting "this or that"  work, and doesnt work anymore in the succeeding version

Remember : Windows is now a "service"

Also depends on the couple ntlite/win10 that you have: which latest version of win10 is supported by your ntlite?

(Is your version of ntlite supporting w10 1909? Win10 2004? Win10 2009? https://www.ntlite.com/features/)

As written above, I would not use an old profile on a new (buggy) os.

1st make a clean install with backup, then play with ntlite (on the mounted install image, not on the live system) to integrate there the new drivers and then to remove components, settings/tweaks, with tests in a vm. When you are fine with your changes, use the ntlited install image on your real system (that has been backed-up).

coromonadalix

You have this tool to do some mods and configurations

MSMG ToolKit v10.1

The MSMG Toolkit is basically a tool to Service, Customize, Add or Remove Features and Components, Enable or Disable Features to Microsoft Windows Operating Systems Images.

Not sure i can post an other forum link here ???

Used it in the past,  in the end its the same problems,  each windows versions has some differences, added or removed features ... kirks / endless problems

Now i use a batch file of DSIM commands to remove some stuff and add or remove registry keys,  works 90% of the time.

+1 with @coromonadalix's comment.

It's a pain when the os itself keep changing.

On top of msmg toolkit (that you can find in the forum), there is also dism++ and win toolkit (updated last May if remembering well, convenient addons).

Using the latest one to finalize win7 customization. Fine to remove packages but not as good as ntlite to remove associated files.

Depends on how far you want to go.

TNX all for yr help/advices ;)

I asked the same question to the NTLite support, here's his answer

Hello,
1. Not sure how they edit the image, let me know if there are any issues

2. Yes, you can use the previous preset, just make sure it doesn't remove drivers this new one needs. Very rare.
If configuring on that target machine, keep Components - Compatibility - Host Machine selected for protecting the drivers.

3. Just the one for the targeted ISO.
If you use v1903, then 1903. Basically whatever NTLite pre-selected as the update version once the image is loaded - Updates - Add - Latest online.
I recommend to get a fresh unedited (not even by HP) ISO from Microsoft here and use that - there is an option in that tool to download ISO.

Best Regards,
Dino Nuhagic
Nlitesoft d.o.o. | NTLite.com

As NTLite were eager to answer, I launched the new integration of Win10 for my new HP.
I used HP_Recovery because it includes Win10 Pro (v1903), drivers, HP apps and especially HP logo on startup. However, I did not use the old broken Asus session3.xml. I have created a new session.
Also, I downloaded and loaded all the updates offered by NTLite (10.0.1909.x64, 10.0.2004.x64 and 10.0.2009.x64) and let NTLite taking care of it... We'll see what happens.

I added Drivers and tweaks and launched [Apply]. NTLite apply all thess update to my Image disk and not create an ISO image.

How to create an ISO image from that folder?

Regards

AZwaffelForAWaff

You can't create an ISO for the active/installed OS. You can create an ISO for a separate image you load (virtualize) and edit in NTLite. The only exception to that is if you use SysPrep, but that's for a freshly-installed OS.

3 hours ago, coucou said:

I added Drivers and tweaks and launched [Apply]. NTLite apply all thess update to my Image disk and not create an ISO image.

How to create an ISO image from that folder?

In the [Apply] menu, look at the Options, there is one named 'Create ISO': check it.

Archived