Restoring to dissimilar hardware

coucou

Hello,
I just broke my laptop (Asus S510UN, it's an i7, 16GB, NVME…) it slipped from my hands and fell. I am looking to buy another of the same configuration may not be the same brand.

Too bad, because it was recent (2018), worked very well and I took a while to install all my apps, Office, AV, tools ...) and especially to customize all the tweaks of Win10 x64 Pro. Fortunately, I kept a very recent backup of disks.

All my personal data have already been collected and secured and an image of C:\ disk done by Acronis True Image 2019. Also the C:\  disc: (NVME) is intact.

Would it be possible to restore that backup on a new laptop? knowing that this new laptop will be not only a dissimilar hardware but also BIOS to UEFI.

I'll appreciate yr advices
Regards

• Replies 11
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, coucou said:

Would it be possible to restore that backup on a new laptop? knowing that this new laptop will be not only a dissimilar hardware but also BIOS to UEFI.

The image will be possible to be restored or moved to another Laptop ► meaning on another new mainboard, however you may be asked to activate many of some applications like office, or ever windows once more.

I don't know whether you will be satisfied with the results, but If it were me, I would still invest some reasonable time and make a fresh clean system, after all you know all the tweaks and tricks you used on the old system.

My experience showed me this, when I had to undergo what you are currently facing or going through.

When it comes to personal Data, which have nothing to do with the system, you can first restore the image, pickup your useful data on a USB stick or otherwise, and then make a clean fresh installation.

Regards

Acronis has the option to restore backup image to different hardware. I've done that before.

But if I were you, I will fresh install new OS. Less clutter is always better.

As far as I understood your backups were all done using Acronis True Image 2019. I suppose that you have no other choice than using the very same application to restore your backups.

Is there not a deploy feature within this app?

On the other hand a fresh install would also be a good thing to do!

Edit: deploy should work fine according to @7even's comment 😉

39 minutes ago, coucou said:

Hello,
I just broke my laptop (Asus S510UN, it's an i7, 16GB, NVME…) it slipped from my hands and fell. I am looking to buy another of the same configuration may not be the same brand.

Too bad, because it was recent (2018), worked very well and I took a while to install all my apps, Office, AV, tools ...) and especially to customize all the tweaks of Win10 x64 Pro. Fortunately, I kept a very recent backup of disks.

All my personal data have already been collected and secured and an image of C:\ disk done by Acronis True Image 2019. Also the C:\  disc: (NVME) is intact.

I'll appreciate yr advices
Regards

Do a full new clean install and then mount the acronis image to copy any files off, you'll need to re-apply any tweaks  you made ofc.  Yes it will take you longer, but you'll have no issues.

I also vote for a fresh install.  With new and different hardware, it is always better to do a fresh install.

Your restore process might go without problem at first but chances are later on you will run into some major problem that forces you reinstall the OS and the rest.

So might as well do it from the beginning to be on the safe side, as well as saving lot of time.

THANKS ALL ;)

OK OK you convinced me to do a fresh install

Another question: I had used MSActBackUp 1.2.3 to Backup Activation of Windows 10 Pro and Office 2016 Pro plus from my broken laptop.

Do you think I can Restore that Activation easily on my new laptop?

27 minutes ago, coucou said:

THANKS ALL ;)

OK OK you convinced me to do a fresh install

Another question: I had used MSActBackUp 1.2.3 to Backup Activation of Windows 10 Pro and Office 2016 Pro plus from my broken laptop.

I doubt so, as I suspect the activation is tied into the hardware of the old laptop.

37 minutes ago, coucou said:

Not possible my Friend as the activations are Hardware specific and especially Motherboard, but you can get assistance

Spoiler

HERE and HERE

Please read the first post at both location and you can get it solved properly.

• 5 weeks later...

I read in one other post sometimes back. You can restore the image.

After that you can use the windows installation disk/usb to do a upgrade install over it. This will keeps your OS as it was in older system and the upgrade install will install the necessary drivers.

You can try it once and see. Just need to invest some time and try it out.

Archived