I am struggling on which AV to use

Nemesis

I am not sure which one to use, NOD-32 or Kaspersky, they are both good.

how do they compare. I.E. heuristics, scanning engine, memory consumption ect...

• Replies 30
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Heuristics = NOD (although KAV's Proactive defense detects quite a few peices of new malware)

Signiture strength = NOD (not detection!)

Unpacking = KAV (although NOD does have a decent generic unpacker)

Memory usage = About the same

Detection = KAV

Take your Pick

Heuristics = NOD (although KAV's Proactive defense detects quite a few peices of new malware)

Signiture strength = NOD (not detection!)

Unpacking = KAV (although NOD does have a decent generic unpacker)

Memory usage = About the same

Detection = KAV

Take your Pick

thanks

Lite, what do you think about Symantec Corporate AV,any good?

I doubt it, Symantec products are very,very ram heavy and are a bitch to uninstall if you choose too, I have never really used it so I cannot comment on how it compares to the other AV's for detection and stuff like that.

Guest grandcommander

Lite, what do you think about Symantec Corporate AV,any good?

I doubt it, Symantec products are very,very ram heavy and are a bitch to uninstall if you choose too, I have never really used it so I cannot comment on how it compares to the other AV's for detection and stuff like that.

I read you on that,but this is not the same as Norton AV, Symantec Corporate AV is very stelth, hard to belive but true :)

Yes for some reason there is a lot of diff between home and corporate norton products..

Corporate version is far less resourse hungry..

All the HP corporate systems use it ... and I have not seen any instances of virus cropping up...here

Symantec AV is a pretty good anti virus application. It is nothing like Norton AV at all. There would be no way in hell corporations would put up with the crap Norton AV introduces. When I recommend anti virus applications I recommend NOD32, KAV, or SAV. Which ever you choose is good enough as it really comes down to personal preference.

I myself go with NOD32.

NOD32 without a doubt.

I run an old Intel Celeron with a 10 gig harddrive and don't even know it's running!

• Administrator

Resource usage isn't everything. I could write a scanner, it won't detect anything but would have zero impact on your system....

The new KAV6 runs light on ones system too.

I personally have used NOD32 for about a year and a half and never had any problems, recommended it to friends too and they thought it was fantastic.

Though I would not discount KAV at all, both are very good AVs.

And what about FWs... is the KIS as one big package any good? (using NOD32/Outp. now)

And what about FWs... is the KIS as one big package any good? (using NOD32/Outp. now)

keep with what you got. I find that those bundled programs arent very good, either the firewall is crap or the AV is crap. that is why I like deticated programs

• Administrator

The KIS firewall, after some tweaking is a good firewall. The standalone Anti-Hacker however is poor.

• 2 weeks later...

all you need is nod-32 and Spy Sweeper 5.0.1.1009 and you will be perfect :D

Guest Andromedae

I have problems with all AV products, so I don't use an AV.

I sometimes do an online virus scan, and I never had a virus, it's all common sense: if you got a virus, it's because of your own supidity.

I do have a hardware firewall though :)

G'day

I used Nod 32 for years and I thought it was the best thing. (after norton anything would be better). I changed to the latest ver of Kaspersky. It found 98 infected files that nod failed to find. nod used about 30MB of ram. Karsperky uses between 2.8 and 9MB. It updates every hour if you want it.

John

I sometimes do an online virus scan, and I never had a virus, it's all common sense: if you got a virus, it's because of your own stupidity.

you know what they call people WITHOUT av scanners......INFECTED............... You really do need to get one and find out how to use it properly.......... nod offered here or avast which is free or there are a few other free one available too

I sometimes do an online virus scan, and I never had a virus, it's all common sense: if you got a virus, it's because of your own supidity.

hardware firewalls are the best thing to have, I would buy one if I had the money.

Guest Andromedae

I sometimes do an online virus scan, and I never had a virus, it's all common sense: if you got a virus, it's because of your own stupidity.

I do have a hardware firewall though :P

you know what they call people WITHOUT av scanners......INFECTED............... You really do need to get one and find out how to use it properly.......... nod offered here or avast which is free or there are a few other free one available too

Rest assured, I've use ALL av scanners, and I used them properly. Problem is: I want my comp to be as fast as possible, I guess that's the main reason why I don't use them.

And I don't think I'm infected, just did an online scan 30 minutes ago, and everything seems to be OK. :)

• 3 months later...

i use kis2006, and after u master the settings of the antihacker and proactive defense, there's no thing in the world that can bother u.

and, in plus, u know every bit of software , wat does it do. proactive defense tells u all.nod32 is cool, but i find it that kis bring a plus of stability and integration, less problems 4 u 4sho

Archived