Sign in to follow this  
Mach1

ISP Ordered to Hand Over Pirates’ Details After Cracked Software ‘Phoned Home’

zanderthunder
5 hours ago, Mach1 said:

The ARF is able to identify the specific computer on which unlicensed copies of software are used, information that is then transmitted back to Siemens when the computer running the software is connected to the Internet.

One can easily block the app from connecting to the Internet tho. Or even better, run the software in a complete offline environment.

Dodel
1 hour ago, zanderthunder said:

One can easily block the app from connecting to the Internet tho. Or even better, run the software in a complete offline environment.

Exactly this, isolate it!

The majority of software "dials home" in some way, if you are running modified software and allowing it to have unfettered access, you deserve what comes your way.

zanderthunder
33 minutes ago, Dodel said:

Exactly this, isolate it!

The majority of software "dials home" in some way, if you are running modified software and allowing it to have unfettered access, you deserve what comes your way.

Plus, while the article only mentions about the usage of that software in Australia, but no details if Siemens also pursue other pirated users in other countries. 

wozzzzza

any particular file we need to block for this??

zanderthunder
3 hours ago, wozzzzza said:

any particular file we need to block for this??

unless if someone willing enough to install the software and also do have wireshark to detect which particular files that "dials home" to siemens,  easier one can know which specified files that can only be blocked.

but to be safe for now, all .exe files on the installed directory should be blocked from connecting to the internet. windows firewall won't be sufficient, so you have to get a strong firewall solution for blocking these .exe files from accessing the net.

wozzzzza
On 7/1/2020 at 12:54 AM, zanderthunder said:

windows firewall won't be sufficient, so you have to get a strong firewall solution for blocking these .exe files from accessing the net.

why not windows firewall? is it that shitty??

zanderthunder
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wozzzzza said:

why not windows firewall? is it that shitty??

In Windows Firewall, you have to put both inbound and outbound rules on blocking each app from connecting to the internet, which is quite tedious.

Also in certain cases, the firewall rules on Windows Firewall sometimes resetted and as a result you will lose the rules that used to block the .exe files from connecting the internet. And have to reconfigure all over again.

Therefore like me, I preferred to use 3rd party firewall to ensure that the settings are preserved. No worries, I have personally test for any firewall leakages and rules are enforced at all times. Besides, configuration is so easy compared to Windows Firewall.

Edited by zanderthunder

catfish
On 7/2/2020 at 6:18 PM, zanderthunder said:

In Windows Firewall, you have to put both inbound and outbound rules on blocking each app from connecting to the internet, which is quite tedious.

Also in certain cases, the firewall rules on Windows Firewall sometimes resetted and as a result you will lose the rules that used to block the .exe files from connecting the internet. And have to reconfigure all over again.

Therefore like me, I preferred to use 3rd party firewall to ensure that the settings are preserved. No worries, I have personally test for any firewall leakages and rules are enforced at all times. Besides, configuration is so easy compared to Windows Firewall.

True just yesterday I realised that windows firewall reset itself for some reason. software called home and then I had to go through the process of editing it ina hex editor to get it working again.