Boot from DVD ROM attached via UASP Mode

anupam_luv

So I attached my Old internal DVD Rom to my NZXT H700i case externally via Sata to USB 3 cable (USAP mode)... its working fine in WIndows 10 but I cannot boot my PC from it .. I have Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 Mobo /i9900k Cpu....

Checked all bios settings... also in bios it doesn't see it at USB device.... any advise???

• Replies 4
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, anupam_luv said:

So I attached my Old internal DVD Rom to my NZXT H700i case externally via Sata to USB 3 cable (USAP mode)... its working fine in WIndows 10 but I cannot boot my PC from it .. I have Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 Mobo /i9900k Cpu....

Checked all bios settings... also in bios it doesn't see it at USB device.... any advise???

To take advantage of UASP-enabled devices you will need to be running Windows 8 or newer, or Mac OS X 10.8 or newer. Some versions of Linux running kernel 2.6.3 and higher can take advantage of UASP, but it is limited to a very small set of supported hardware.

As your booting from it, it's no drivers to "see" it, and the bios won't have drivers to see it, maybe SCSI ?

1 hour ago, Dodel said:

To take advantage of UASP-enabled devices you will need to be running Windows 8 or newer, or Mac OS X 10.8 or newer. Some versions of Linux running kernel 2.6.3 and higher can take advantage of UASP, but it is limited to a very small set of supported hardware.

As your booting from it, it's no drivers to "see" it, and the bios won't have drivers to see it, maybe SCSI ?

Thanks... Im already on Win 10 ent x64 latest build.... maybe what u said is write that my Bios is not seeing the SCSI devices attached .... On booting to win 10 it sees the UASP... Strange!!! ... but I remember few days back I mistakenly reset the bios to factory default firmware then I saw this UASP device i.e. DVD-ROM in the bootable devices list... means bios was detecting it .... but once I updated firmware to latest ... it stops detecting it... Maybe I have to explore more settings in my AORUS Master z390 bios ... there must be some setting that need to be changed so that bios see the uasp attached storage devices.

coromonadalix

Normally after a bios flash,  you reset it to defaults, reboot the pc and and redo all the settings, boot device type, boot order,  any media boot etc ...

Had some problems because i did not resetted it to defaults ??

@anupam_luv

When asking for help, please give all possible information, not only what you think is relevant.

You explained everything accept what is most important.

What kind of "Sata to USB 3 cable (USAP mode)" are you using?

Is it just cable/adapter or external enclosure?

Does it (cable/adapter) or DVD drive have external (separate) power supply, which USB port (3.0, 2.0, front, direct on board, ...), ... ?

Did you try to connect to USB 2.0 port?

All USB devices are "negotiating" at first contact, UASP is only one version of USB protocol, and all UASP devices are backwards compatible, meaning they are (should be) able to communicate and work as standard USB devices, until HOST recognizes them as UASP (if it is capable) and changes communication protocol to UASP.

Please provide all information about your "Sata to USB 3 cable" and maybe then reason of problem and solution could be found.

If your USB port has too weak power or it is not supplied (to external device) early enough for device to be ready at moment when system is scanning for attached devices, then it will not be listed as available boot device.

Some BIOS-es have option to turn ON/OFF power on USB ports when system is OFF. Maybe that changed and caused problem.

Sometimes it helps to turn on (power on) external device before connecting USB cable (depends on device connected).

BTW, simple USB/SATA adapters without separate power supply are not suitable for devices with large power consumption (CD/DVD drives, large HDD and similar devices).

Archived