PC Won't Boot

bigjohn

My PC won't boot.

After re installing a backup image using the Macrium rescue media the PC refused to boot, I tried to reset the BIOS as I did it to the MB manual. No luck.

I have downloaded the same BIOS version but I don't know if I flash the BIOS it would reset to default and all be good again. I have extracted three files to an USB stick. Du I need the three files or just the exe file to flash?

Please help me solve this problem I really want to fix it, i tested with a brand new HHD I have cloned with the OSs (dual boot) but didn't worked.

If this didn't work mi next option would be new MB. + CPU + RAM = $$$$.

Thank you for helping

John

Capture.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you get into BIOS?  If you can still get into BIOS that is not the problem.  If you have an install disk, or usb thumb drive with Windows installation on it, boot to it.  Click on next, then at the left hand bottom of your screen it will say repair this computer.  You can have it try to automatically repair it or if that doesn't work repeat, but open command prompt.  Find which disk your Windows is on by typing dir C:\,  dir D:\, etc.  I don't know how many drives or partitions you have.  Once you have determined where you Windows is installed type in bcdboot C:\Windows and press enter.  Substitute in the drive your Windows is on for C if it is different.   Make sure that the first boot option in BIOS disk with Windows on it.  Then it should work.

52 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

My PC won't boot.

After re installing a backup image using the Macrium rescue media the PC refused to boot, I tried to reset the BIOS as I did it to the MB manual. No luck.

I have downloaded the same BIOS version but I don't know if I flash the BIOS it would reset to default and all be good again. I have extracted three files to an USB stick. Du I need the three files or just the exe file to flash?

Please help me solve this problem I really want to fix it, i tested with a brand new HHD I have cloned with the OSs (dual boot) but didn't worked.

If this didn't work mi next option would be new MB. + CPU + RAM = $$$$.

Thank you for helping

John

Capture.jpg

What error are you getting, as already mentioned if it gets pas post, your bios is not the issue. What operating system is it, are you booting in UEFI mode ?

More information is required, but at this stage I would say you don't need to invest in new hardware, I suspect it's just an software issue.

Thank you for replying

More info: Three 1 TB HDDs. Boot HD Dual boot Windows 10, one partition to store backup images. total three partitions on booting HD.

I can get to the BIOS, I've been trying the bios but when I save and exit the BIOS no boot, Just  a black screen and a blinking score at the top left corner.

dhjohns, do you think is the OS and not the BIOS the problem? Last night I tried a windows install DVD and the message was to select a proper booting media and boot. Because of that I tend to believe it's the BIOS and not Windows as i also tested with another HDD with the same OSs. I may be wrong too.

To flash the BIOS do I use the exe file only or all of them?

The good news'you gave me is I don't have to buy new hardwre.

Thank you

We are going to win this one

John

@bigjohn Do you want the end result to be a normal running computer, or do you want to desperately fix something there? That's the first thing you need to make clear to yourself.
You've already done so many very weird things out there that you would need to remove all the accessories and all the pre-installed Windows to fix this, because they're probably now permanently damaged and there is nothing to fix or repair.
You should then start by resetting this computer's BIOS.
Once this is done, you will only be able to see, what to do next.
Currently, the situation is such that you don't even know what is the reason, ie whether the computer itself or Windows or some other reason. It's not worth thinking that this thing "will heal itself".
To start right on, what computer is it at all, what motherboard is there, what graphics, what processor, what is the original BIOS version, and so on.
If this is clear, only then will we start talking about what can and should be done.

So. If you are clear about what you want to do, can talk further. It's your decision.

Just a thought .... make sure it's trying to boot from AHCI, you can check in the BIOS under SATA Configuration. AHCI shows as the default in the manual for your motherboard, but maybe was changed.

Sounds like a good time to install a fresh system, instead of trying to repair/fix it.

Boot from a live os, save your files (and settings if you can/want), reinstall the win you want (or change your os) on a clean (formatted) drive.

In order to avoid unwanted changes, what about using 'freezing' apps to recover your system after a simple reboot?

Hi,

Restoring a backup image can result in a boot failure if some options are changed on the BIOS, if nothing changed then you have a hardware problem!

I would connect only one clean HDD to the machine an do a normal Windows 10 installation just to confirm that Windows installs and there isn't a hardware problem, if this works then something change on the BIOS/UEFI settings that you need to reverse so that the backup image works.

Success,

I'd like to thank everyone for their answers.

dhjohns.

Mate. I follow your suggestion. I did try the W10 installation disk, three times til it worked but stopped when asked me, for the second time, to press any key to run from CD tried again and installed the OS. Everything else was there. With the rescue disk installed the image corresponding to that partition. Then fixed the boot with macrium. I didn't know ti could do that. All good now , I might find a few errors later but I can always re install the OS.  

Thanks and kind regards

John

I haven't had time to read all of the replies but in the past, when I had issues getting a computer to boot, I followed this tutorial:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows/

Obviously this isn't a cure-all but for my situations, it was the only fix I needed.

HandyPAF

Thank you for your tutorial. I have saved it as PDF. You never know when you may need it.

Ma problem was caused by Macrium Reflect. After completion of an image restore the PC did not boot at all, no mater what I tried, nor could access the Hdds. I was convinced It was the BIOS but wasn't. Macriun wiped off all the partition where the OS I was restoring used to be. It was empty. So I installed Windows there. After that replaced the backup image instead of installing all the software in it. I could only boot to the fresh installed OS, I lost the dual boot. In macriun I found a function to fix the boot manager, so I ran it, It worded. I'm still installing a few missing bits and peaces but I'm happy I can boot the PC and had not had to buy any hardware.

Thanks to everyone for your help that is most appreciated, even if I don use some of the suggestion given to me I take notice of the knowledge in them. I'm always learning and I love a challenge.

Regards

John

Archived