Windows 10 Version 2004: Forced upgrade without user consent

The new Windows 10 May 2020 Update (Version 2004) has been generally available since May 27, 2020 and is being rolled out only slowly. But I have already seen reports that systems are automatically updated to Windows 10 Version 2004 without any user interaction.

Feature update: This is how it should work

Since Windows 10 version 1903, feature updates should be offered as optional. The user must explicitly trigger the download and installation, as shown in the following screenshot for version 1903.

Feature updates in Windows 10 May 2019 Update
(Feature updates in Windows 10 May 2019 Update, Source: Microsoft)

Starting with Windows 10 May 2019 Update, Version 1903, Microsoft grants users in all versions a possibility to postpone quality updates by 5 x 7 days (35 days). I had described this in the article Windows 10 May 2019 Update brings back Update control. At the same time Microsoft has introduced a second, positive innovation. Functional updates can be postponed by the user until shortly before the end of the support period of the installation (see Windows 10 V1903: Update Control Inconsistencies – Part 2).

A reader’s feedback

End of May 2020 German blog reader H.v.H. contacted me and reported a strange observation (thanks for that). He writes:

Hello Günter,

without any action on my part, MS installed the 2004 update.
Only the reboot was still pending.

Procedure:

within 6 min 2 reboots
blue screen with “Updates for you are being prepared
after 7:30 min in total (SSD hard disk)
started Edge on my normal screen view
Firefox remained the default browser
tested the scanner: ok (driver works)
of the 86 installed programs, 35 got the current installation date (4 of them from MS)
Everything seems to be going as usual.

At the same time I received this comment here in my blog. EP refers to a discussion at askwoody.com where the same thing happened to a user. And Susan Bradley also puts together some observations of this kind in this askwoody short article. This is addressed also here.

Another reader observation about defer update

In the blog post Windows 10 Version 2004/Windows Server 2004 released I wrote that all feature updates are optional, and that the user need to click the Download and install link, to triger an upgrade. Blog-reader Martin responded with the following observation.

Yes and no… this is only true (at least according to my tests 1903->1909) if the setting “Delay function updates and/or quality updates” is set
is not used – i.e. remains at 0 days. If this is not the case (1 day delay is enough) a new version will be installed automatically.

This may have been an explanation, but it doesn’t quite fit together. Some users were probably with delay 0 in Windows 10 Home V190x.

Have update defer options been removed?

On reddit.com there is this post where someone asks if the delay options for feature updates in Windows 10 version 2004 have been removed.

Has MS removed option to defer feature updates for 365 days from Pro 2004?

I have just clean installed Pro 2004 (new iso today) on a pc and the option to defer feature updates for 365 days is missing.

Comparing registry with 1909, it is quite different and I have a suspicion you can now only defer feature updates on enterprise as the deferfeaturesupdate keyword has moved into a folder that seems only to apply for business users

Although one respondent explains that delay options for feature updates have not been required since the 1903 version, the answer is no longer necessary. But the experiences outlined above show me a different picture. Something doesn’t fit together anymore. Do you have had similar experiences or have an explanation?

ThanksForReading200x49.jpg

• Like 2

Version updates have not been installed for many years without consent, and besides, anyone can block version upgrades for up to a year without any hindrance (actually for exactly as long as anyone wants, but that's a secret and I shouldn't say that).

PS! I really don't recommend upgrading using the Windows Update system and upgrading so that you keep the previous settings and applications. This is a serious recommendation, do a clean installation if you don't want problems.

1 hour ago, Kalju said:

Version updates have not been installed for many years without consent, and besides, anyone can block version upgrades for up to a year without any hindrance (actually for exactly as long as anyone wants, but that's a secret and I shouldn't say that).

The article quotes a user saying that the up-to 365 day delay feature upgrade delay has been removed in 2004, and suggests that maybe only Enterprise users will have that option from 2004 onwards.

Perhaps Microsoft didn't want users to delay upgrading to 2004 so are ignoring users' wishes and pushing it out to them anyway?

Let's not forget that Microsoft has a history of ignoring users' wishes (AKA their very own update/upgrade deferment settings) and forcing updates/upgrades.

If Microsoft has changed the Registry, as the user mentioned, perhaps your secret method no longer works? :)

1 hour ago, Kalju said:

This is a serious recommendation, do a clean installation if you don't want problems.

No doubt it works, but is not a realistic option for many given the time it takes to backup all, do an install, redo the Control Panel / Settings, reinstall software, restore data...

Also a pretty bad indictment on Windows 10, that the only sure way to avoid upgrade problems is a painful, time consuming reinstall.

The following images have not been modified or processed in any way. 

Spoiler

mYg6454.jpg

CVs3SM4.jpg

Some Win10 PCs are apparently being upgraded to version 2004 without consent

I’m seeing an increase in the number of people who claim that their Windows 10 version 1903 or 1909 computers were upgraded to version 2004, without warning. The behavior might be due to a bug in the way Win10 handles “Pause updates.”

windows-10-2004-on-hold-100847604-large.
Mark Hachman / IDG

Every time Microsoft rolls out a new version of Windows 10, a certain percentage of Win10 customers claim their machines have been upgraded without their consent. Most of the time, some digging shows that the person who was upgraded had, in fact, clicked on something they shouldn’t have. 

On the other hand, almost every version upgrade has been accompanied by odd (mis-) behaviors that result in some PCs getting upgraded, without the advice or consent of the clobbered.

At this point, it appears we’re seeing a considerable number of no-consent upgrades from version 1903 and 1909 to version 2004. Some are convinced the forced upgrade is intentional. Others – including me – think these particular forced upgrades occur because of a bug.

How the upgrade’s supposed to work

The ground rules for version 2004 upgrades are pretty straightforward, and they’ve been set in stone for some time. As I explained last month, Win10 Pro and Home users who are deemed ready for the upgrade (using some arcane “AI” magic from Microsoft), and venture to the Update & Security pane, see an offer to upgrade to Win10 version 2004 (see screenshot).

download-and-install-2004-100848416-larg
Microsoft

If you click Download and install, Windows Update downloads and installs 2004. If you don’t click, your machine stays on the version it’s currently using. (Machines attached to update servers follow the network admin’s rules, of course.)

That’s a very genteel approach, much appreciated by many of us. Sure, the rules will change as older versions of Win10 fall out of favor. But for the majority of Win10 customers, on 1903 and 1909, it’s a very straightforward and restrained rollout method. Customers have a chance to decide for themselves when they're ready to upgrade.

Bravo.

What changed

Yesterday, we saw two big changes to Microsoft’s 2004 rollout. 

Windows 10, version 2004 is available for users with devices running Windows 10, versions 1903 and 1909 who manually seek to “Check for updates” via Windows Update. We are continuing our measured approach on initial availability, as we listen, learn, and adjust. Today we are increasing the number of devices that will be offered the May Update. 

Based on that wording, it isn’t at all clear whether clicking “Check for updates” will automatically upgrade you to version 2004 without notification, or offer a chance to hold back. If Microsoft is signaling a reversion to that old, darker interpretation of seeking, we’re all in a world of hurt.

How the upgrade appears to be working

Right now, all reports I’ve seen say that we’re supposed to be at the stage where you have to click “Download and install” in order to get moved to version 2004. In light of yesterday’s muddled announcement, I don’t know if that’s going to change.

The fly in the ointment: Many people report that - even before the change yesterday - they were pushed onto version 2004 without being asked for permission. The reports I’ve seen point to a combination of factors:

• The Win10 1903 or 1909 PC must be “ready to upgrade” according to Microsoft’s magic “AI;”
  • You have “Pause updates” turned on;
  • Either the “Pause” expires, or you manually turn it off (possibly by altering a Registry setting, possibly by clicking “Resume updates”).

It appears as if that set of events triggers an update to 2004, even if you’ve set Win10 Pro’s “defer feature updates” setting to extend feature updates - which is to say, version upgrades - beyond today. 

If all three of those events come to pass – your PC's eligible, you pause, and the pause expires – it looks like you may get upgraded to Win10 version 2004 without being asked. No, you don’t have to click “Download and install.” Indeed, you’re never offered the opportunity.

Some people believe that Microsoft has changed the upgrade rules. I prefer to think of this as a specific bug. Hard to say, since, like so many important Windows update policies, it’s completely undocumented.

Do you know someone who’s been upgraded without their permission? I’d sure like to know the details on AskWoody.com.

Thx @jimmythesaint53, @flashcatj, @Hailstorm, @abbodi86, @PKCano.

Some Win10 PCs are apparently being upgraded to version 2004 without consent

ThanksForReading200x49.jpg

• Like 3