Failing NIC Card

myers284

Hey guys,

I am look for a way to diagnose a possible failing NIC card.  (Actually, its not a "card" but a NIC port built into my motherboard.) The computer is 9 years old and it is about time that things start failing. I have replaced the cable between the modem and desktop.  But that has not helped.  The desktop can see the modem, but not the internet.  I don't think the NIC is getting and IP address.  I have tried flushing the IP address (using IPCONFIG's /release and /renew). But now I am out of ideas.

Any recommendations on software to diagnose hardware/NIC card would be greatly appreciated!!!!

• Replies 4
  • Views 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Computer model?

Was working before and stops all of a sudden?new installs?

Did you dissemble the carcass to see the mtb and check all microwelding on NIC(images if), could be too much wearing, you can try to get an usb NIC hub cable, if not software related, its much economic 2-20$ than the replacement reparation mtb rj45

What OS Is this ?

Have you done /flushdns ? (As you don't say you have done this part of the release & renew steps.)

If you ipconfig /all from the command line, what do you get back, if you get an 169.xx address, possible network conflict.

Also, open a command prompt and run netsh int ip reset (This will reset your TCP/IP Stack (you may need a reboot)

I'd go to device manager find the installed NIC and uninstall, and delete the drivers, reboot, let windows re-install.

Do you have another device you can plug into the same port on the router and test, this will eliminate cable issues.

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses.

My operating system is Windows 10 Pro (x64).  And yes, I used the /flushdns command and a few others I didn't mention (I didn't want this to get into a boring post).  Although I did forget about the netsh command.  (I did some google searches and teach myself about that one.  😁)

I did take the side of the case off and that's when I found out the NIC function is built into the motherboard.  😬   With this thing being 9 years old, that's when I decided enough is enough.

So I started doing some shopping on Amazon.  I found a NIC adapter that has a USB connector.  I am not going to kill myself over this.  It was more of an educational problem than anything else (hey, you guys gave me some good ideas that got me to thinking).

I was really hoping there was a software that would do some hardware analysis.  Another hardware problem I have battled off and on has been USB plugs that just seem to act up.  Now there is an argument for wearing out hardware.  Some days, I just don't seem to get USB 3.0 throughput.  Some days, the darn things don't even seem to connect.  However, I also know that I have a bad habit of always using the same port(s).  So, if I had bad connectors, I wouldn't argue the point.  Again, I just wish I knew of some good diagnostic software.

Thanks again!  Happy computing. 😃

Could it be software problem? Have you recently used VPN with kill switch on? And what about av/malware blocking or firewall, are you using some new programs? Possible conflicts?

Archived