How do I know if my hard drive is failing?

Diego T.

Hey y'all!!

So I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Drive connected to my laptop that I use to store my media. Recently I added a ton of movies and set up a Plex server where the computer and the hard drive are connected constantly. I only have less than 1TB left of space but recently there are new videos that play and give me error.

What you guys suggest to check if the hard drive is reaching its end of life cycle, fix errors or what should I do?

Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or Seagate Tools😀😀😀

Copy a few of the problematic videos to another device and play them directly from there. The videos may be the problem.

Otherwise, check the S.M.A.R.T. drive stats provided by utilities others have mentioned earlier.

Open up a command window with admin rights and type chkdsk d: /f /v /r /x  where "d" is the drive letter of your external hdd.  The chkdsk command is non-destructive, you can do chkdsk /?  to see all the options. The command will basically scan your hard drive, can take hours, sector by sector and attempt to repair any errors. At the end of the process, it will let you know the results. You do not need any 3rd party tools to check the drive for errors.

If your data is important to you, then consider getting an HGST 4TB Enterprise Internal Hard Drive from Amazon. The enterprise drives are filled with helium, used in data centers all over the place. These drives are extremely reliable. I have one almost 7-years old and it has zero problems. You would need to get an external enclosure, a modest investment to protect your data. Seagate makes some of the worst drives in my opinion, and i wouldn't use them even if they were free

I work on dozens of machines and have never had a good experience with Seagate, sorry to say.. i do not work for Amazon, just passing along useful information. Make sure you get an enclosure with an on/off switch so you can power it off before unplugging it. Good luck.

Link to drive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079RZHLDL/

Link to enclosure:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P43BCD9/

I would also recommend Hard Disk Sentinel.

But it could also be data corruption. You mention this happens with new movies from a big file transfer you recently made.

I also experienced corruption on some video files when I made big transfers. Like in 1TB and over.

I went with HD Tune and this is what I got. 

C7 Interface CRC error Count , Damage cable. 

Shared-Screenshot.jpg

Here is the list of top 5 reasons for hard disk failure.

1- Firmware and manufacturer faults

2- Heat

3- Electronic Failure Or Power Surges

4-Mechanical & Internal Failure

5- Corrupted Files

Archived