Windows NT 3.5 and original Xbox source code leaks

Karlston

Windows NT 3.5 and original Xbox source code leaks

xbox-original-logo_story.jpg

The source code for Microsoft's original Xbox gaming console and Windows NT 3.5 has leaked, as spotted by The Verge today. The report also confirms that the Xbox leak is authentic, including the Xbox Development Kit, emulators, internal documents, and the kernel.

The kernel on the original Xbox console is based on Windows 2000, and the source code for that was leaked way back in 2004, something that Neowin exclusively reported on. Apparently though, this new leak was already being distributed among the enthusiast community for some time, which means that the source code leak isn't going to help in getting the kernel and Xbox OS up and running on emulators.

According to the report, out of over 900 Xbox games, only about 40 of them have been able to run on emulators. And while Microsoft has its own emulation on Xbox One consoles, there are just over a dozen games supported for that. Sadly, it seems that at least for now, this leak doesn't mean that you can fire up your old Xbox games on newer hardware.

Apparently, the Windows NT 3.5 source code is for a near-final build, and Microsoft wouldn't comment on it. You can go and look through the source code, although it's probably not as exciting as the original Xbox, since we've already seen source code leaks for both newer and older versions of Windows.

Source: Windows NT 3.5 and original Xbox source code leaks (Neowin)

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so funny never got a blue screen or forced restart on nt. windows 2000 was actually the first to increase performance on same hardware and way fever crashes.

8 hours ago, halvgris said:

so funny never got a blue screen or forced restart on nt. windows 2000 was actually the first to increase performance on same hardware and way fever crashes.

I'd take 2k over this Win 10 drivel.

BimBamSmash

It makes me nervous to imagine the repercussions of source code leaks in general, in the near future where smart homes, self-driving cars, and stuff like that become the norm.

If everything was  open source it would not matter just the code leaked it still illegal  to profit from it .  hackers never needed  the source to exploit anything on Windows so if you think closing the source is going to protect you been asleep since 1986 when they wrote the  1st computer virus and are living in a fantasy world  . Most IOT  runs on Linux BTW . The problem with IOT is not if the code is open or closed source the problem is most of that stuff can't be patched for malware  because its in  a car  or a  in a smart home.  Open source if there is something wrong with it can easily be fixed if found by anyone. Closed source you have to trust the vendor to patch it meaning it could have backdoors and stuff for the goverment  and other stuff wrong with it and they never disclose it. My motto is dont trust what you can't see.

Reminds me the improved server2003 version over xp, and eXperience's OSs to learn the how-to.

Edit: as @halvgris, and as far as I remember, never got a blue screen under server2k3.

Everybody loved  Windows 2000  it still people running it in VM today  . BSOD  though  is just windows way of telling you something  is wrong with it . a lot times  it means you  have a bad  driver  or you  have a piece of software  that has a doggy driver . Also  sometimes Antivirus  are picky about what software you can use with them and they will conflict  with other software and cause BSOD  That cause more trouble than anything on Windows XP.. Would  you rather  your OS to BSOD when something is wrong and you can boot up and try and fix it or would you rather some shitty driver  brake it were you  have to reinstall ?

FWIW I ran Windows 98 for quite a few years and it was the most trouble free OS I had installed, go figure.. apparently XP is a more stable OS but that sure wasn't my experience.

As Steven says, it almost always comes down to:

A) Hardware

b) Driver software

C) Antivirus and

D) The stupid shit you do to your OS.  

Windows 10 has been pretty great for me, currently on 2004.

Archived