thesussone

thesussone

Just wanted to open a discussion in regards to building a somewhat secure PC or laptop in respect to privacy of the business/user. With everything slowly becoming closed source and with end users having no access to control the security of their systems (E:G - Spretre, Meltdown, Thunderbolt exploits, Intel Management Engine etc).

I am very interested in building a computer that runs on open-source system software such as Linux, and has full access to CPU firmware code with features such as Libreboot or Coreboot.

This has been something I have been researching for a while. Would be very interested in hearing from others with such a setup or also any ideas on the above topic. Any ideas in regards to implementing such system or just brainstorming on how to build a secure setup would be great. Im talking about open-source software, hardware switches, manually removing components such as microphones / cameras to prevent three letter agencies stockpiling data and hoarding it in fusion centers.

For a bit of context, please watch this Documentary. 

Any feedback on systems by companies such as System76 and Purism and the like would be phenomenal!

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe you can have a look at https://www.qubes-os.org/intro/.

Qubes OS is a free and open-source security-oriented operating system meant for single-user desktop computing.

Qubes OS leverages xen-based virtualization to allow for the creation and management of isolated virtual machines called qubes.

thesussone
12 minutes ago, mp68terr said:

Maybe you can have a look at https://www.qubes-os.org/intro/.

Yes have most definitely looked into this as it was recommended by Edward himself in THIS JRE  podcast im sure.

Please keep the ideas flowing!

if I can get enough responses I will try update the original post or create some form of 'wiki of answers' for others.

Peace.

• 5 months later...
On 5/13/2020 at 2:33 AM, thesussone said:

Please keep the ideas flowing!

if I can get enough responses I will try update the original post or create some form of 'wiki of answers' for others.

What have you been doing since your last post in May?

Archived