Turn Screen Off w/o using physical button

TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar

[Android 10] I often have an app running. I want to turn the screen off w/o accessing the home screen to use a gesture. Any ideas? Apps? i.e. If I have a random app in view on the screen, how can I do this? I know it's possible to turn screen off by turning phone over, but it seems when this is set, the screen wakes when you turn the phone back upright?

Edited by TheEmpathicEar

You could use any 'Screen off & Lock' app and use its shortcut (ex. place shortcut in your notification bar), or have it open in tabs.

if you are using a Samsung phone, then download ' Good Lock' app & its sub app 'NavStar' from Galaxy Store and install.  Then use 'NavStar' to add a button for screen off to home screen's main buttons.

• Like 1

TheEmpathicEar
8 hours ago, DLord said:

You could use any 'Screen off & Lock' app and use its shortcut (ex. place shortcut in your notification bar), or have it open in tabs.

if you are using a Samsung phone, then download ' Good Lock' app & its sub app 'NavStar' from Galaxy Store and install.  Then use 'NavStar' to add a button for screen off to home screen's main buttons.

I am trying the Samsung Assistant Menu. It provides a "floating" panel with a number of options including "Screen Off". It's useful for me because if I have an app on display, I can still access "Screen Off" which was  my goal. If the Home screen [for example] is displayed, you can define a gesture. So, the Assistant Menu is useful when the Home screen is not displayed.  "Good Luck" and "Navstar" can add a button to the notification area or is it for the nav buttons on the bottom of the screen?

9 hours ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

"Good Luck" and "Navstar" can add a button to the notification area or is it for the nav buttons on the bottom of the screen?

Good Lock and NavStar can add button to the Notification Area , The bottom Nav buttons can be customized for looks but cannot add additional button.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kyber said:

but cannot add additional button

Yes they can, I did it.  Here is a picture:

2044061070_Screenshot_20200511-101052_OneUIHome.jpg.ade7ff7fd53deb310c814174539b5c26.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DLord said:

Can you please explain the procedure.

Never mind, Found it after update to V. 2.0.0.2

Thanks

Edited by kyber
  • Like 1

TheEmpathicEar
8 hours ago, DLord said:

2044061070_Screenshot_20200511-101052_OneUIHome.jpg.ade7ff7fd53deb310c814174539b5c26.jpg

This looks interesting. This does not clutter the notification area or add a floating panel as in my example.
EDIT: @DLord This appears to be a power button. Is it possible to add a screen off button?

Edited by TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar

@kyber @DLord Thanks for the help! I was relatively painless to add both "Good Luck" and it's sub-menu "Natstar". I now have a "Screen Off" button in the same place. This button looks more like a "Power button" than a "Screen Off" button?

Can either of you suggest some other tips in using this app?

3 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

This button looks more like a "Power button" than a "Screen Off" button?

Yes it looks so but it will just turn off your screen and NOT Power off your phone.

5 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

This app is from Samsung so you can use it to your fullest without any problem or fear of bricking your phone.

Also you can check our other apps in Good Lock to customize your phone to your needs.

• Thanks 1

@TheEmpathicEar I'm a bit late to the party, but have you considered using a gesture control app, and binding the screen off command to a shaking gesture? I use a custom launcher that has this built-in, and it's by far the most convenient way of locking the phone I've used so far.

• Like 1

TheEmpathicEar
1 minute ago, Alanon said:

@TheEmpathicEar I'm a bit late to the party, but have you considered using a gesture control app, and binding the screen off command to a shaking gesture? I use a custom launcher that has this built-in, and it's by far the most convenient way of locking the phone I've used so far.

I have been using Nova Prime launcher for years. It's easy to add a gesture that works when the home screen is displayed. But, I could not figure out how to do this when an app is the focus.

5 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

I have been using Nova Prime launcher for years. It's easy to add a gesture that works when the home screen is displayed. But, I could not figure out how to do this when an app is the focus.

That makes sense, as a lot will depend on the implementation. With Android 10 and its gesture controls, many launchers seem to have more issues than usual, at least on certain phones. Even in my case (I use Total Launcher and recommend it heartily) the basic swiping gestures work only on the home screen.

The shake gesture, however, seems to be free from such restrictions, and usually isn't reserved by Android at all. So it's simply a matter of finding a launcher that supports it natively (I don't know if Nova does), or adding an app that can provide that feature. A quick search for "shake lock" uncovered dozens of apps on Google Play that claim to do just that.

Provided your OS allows it, another option would be to add a custom command for your software keys, for example, on double tapping a button? If your OS supports the action but not the custom commands of that kind, you could use an app like Power Shortcuts that would create custom app-like shortcuts which could be inserted in as action calls for the buttons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

This appears to be a power button. Is it possible to add a screen off button?

It is not a power button, it only turns the screen off.

1 hour ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

If you search in Google Play for 'Screen Off & Lock" you will find many similar apps.  However you will have to put the shortcut in home screen and in some cases in taskbar.  The above mentioned one will be added to your main buttons and will be accessible without exiting the app you are using (in focus); which I suppose was the main concern of the topic.

Edited by DLord
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
TheEmpathicEar
On 5/10/2020 at 7:25 AM, DLord said:

My phone just updated to Android 11 One UI version 3.0. I had to update both Good Lock and Navstar to get my custom navbar back. I just noticed under Settings>Display there is "Navigation bar"? Did the update do this? Or, did the Good Look and Navstar combo add this?

15 hours ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

My phone just updated to Android 11 One UI version 3.0. I had to update both Good Lock and Navstar to get my custom navbar back. I just noticed under Settings>Display there is "Navigation bar"? Did the update do this? Or, did the Good Look and Navstar combo add this?

As far as I remember that "navigation bar" setting has always been there.  Navstar actually adds further options and customization for navigation bar.

• Thanks 1

TheEmpathicEar
35 minutes ago, DLord said:

As far as I remember that "navigation bar" setting has always been there.  Navstar actually adds further options and customization for navigation bar.

So, Good Lock with Navstar just adds the ability to customize?

43 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

So, Good Lock with Navstar just adds the ability to customize?

Yes you get more customization options.

• Thanks 1